advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to setup email at a personal domain?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 11, 2019 10:37AM
Say you've bought a domain name. Got your own myname.com or whatever.

If email is just another service requiring server space, do ya just sign up for hosting, and now you can send/receive email with myname.com etc?

I suppose my question is about hosting. Low bandwidth, simple needs etc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to setup email at a personal domain?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 11, 2019 10:41AM
I would suggest checking pricing on having Google host your domain... you get Gmail-with-your-own-domain.
And, you can create multiple addresses at your domain... so, a "SPAM@deckeda.com", and "Boss@Deckeda.com", and "complaints@deckeda.com" (that one just forwards to spam...).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 11, 2019 10:57AM
I bought my domain through GoDaddy back in the day and had Google host the email. Works very well. You get all the benefits of Gmail but without the gmail.com domain. You can set up everything as if it was a gmail account but instead of Joe@gmail.com you put Joe@TheCools.com. You can use any registrar though. Heck, you can use Google to do it.

[domains.google]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 10:58AM by ztirffritz.
Date: April 11, 2019 11:13AM
It sounds like you both are talking about Google's G-Suite, starting at $6/month, yeah?

[support.google.com]

My wife and I each have two-three domains. I think she purchased hers from GoDaddy and I'd have to remember where I got mine. I think one was from GoDaddy and another is from Namecheap, not that it probably matters?
Date: April 11, 2019 11:54AM
Correct... Attaching your domain to "G-Suite" gives you email/gmail, AND all of G-Suites other tools (whether you choose to use them or not).
$6/mo is well worth just Gmail's spam filtering, in my opinion.
And you are correct that who you register the domain with doesn't matter. You will be using G-Suite as the domain HOST, but the registrar remains the same (GoDaddy, etc).

deckeda
It sounds like you both are talking about Google's G-Suite, starting at $6/month, yeah?

[support.google.com]

My wife and I each have two-three domains. I think she purchased hers from GoDaddy and I'd have to remember where I got mine. I think one was from GoDaddy and another is from Namecheap, not that it probably matters?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 11, 2019 01:38PM
So from what I understand, Google gives you a choice to get a new domain (not needed/desired) OR transfer an existing domain. So they become your registrar, you pay them $12 and forfeit whatever months you have left with your current registrar.

That's from following the links I saw.

I did stumble on these directions from a random hosting company, [www.inmotionhosting.com] and it tells you how to use G Suite if you already have a hosting company?

I'm going around in circles now. I don't see how to keep the registrar and G Suite (only hosting?) separate.

It won't be the end of the world if we have to transfer the domain registration over to Google and pay the $12 or whatever, but it doesn't seem like we should have to since there are like 10 months left for the domain.

What am I not seeing here?
Date: April 11, 2019 02:58PM
I don't know what their current policy is, but I've been using a separate DOMAIN REGISTRAR, not HOST, for years, with Google Apps for Education (or whatever they call it now).

If you're using that domain for other services (web host, etc) with another domain host, then I don't know how to set it up ... but if you're domain is registered with your domain registrar, and they are not providing any services, then you should be able to set it up with Google for them to HOST your domain, while keeping your domain REGISTERED with your other company.

I hope that's clear, and I hope I'm understanding what you want to do... No guarantees on either one. :-)

deckeda
So from what I understand, Google gives you a choice to get a new domain (not needed/desired) OR transfer an existing domain. So they become your registrar, you pay them $12 and forfeit whatever months you have left with your current registrar.

That's from following the links I saw.

I did stumble on these directions from a random hosting company, [www.inmotionhosting.com] and it tells you how to use G Suite if you already have a hosting company?

I'm going around in circles now. I don't see how to keep the registrar and G Suite (only hosting?) separate.

It won't be the end of the world if we have to transfer the domain registration over to Google and pay the $12 or whatever, but it doesn't seem like we should have to since there are like 10 months left for the domain.

What am I not seeing here?

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 11, 2019 03:10PM
Thanks Paul. Part of my confusion is from that inmotionhosting link, which gives instructions for how to move hosting away from inmotionhosting over to Google. As if that's the kind of thing any hosting company would help you figure out, ya know?

But perhaps they're thinking their customer would retain them for regular hosting services but pay the additional to farm out just the email portion of that to Google/Gmail.

Again, we don't have hosting with inmotionhosting nor anyone else, just a couple domain names we've purchased over the years and have been sitting on.
Date: April 11, 2019 03:29PM
So, I think we're confused on terminology here...
InMotionHosting isn't HOSTING a domain for you - they're your domain REGISTRAR. When you buy the rights to the domain, it's them you're buying it from.

What you want to do is keep paying InMotionHosting for the "rights" to the domain, and HOST it with Google.
Again, I hope that's clear!
It's been a few years since I did any of this.

deckeda
Thanks Paul. Part of my confusion is from that inmotionhosting link, which gives instructions for how to move hosting away from inmotionhosting over to Google. As if that's the kind of thing any hosting company would help you figure out, ya know?

But perhaps they're thinking their customer would retain them for regular hosting services but pay the additional to farm out just the email portion of that to Google/Gmail.

Again, we don't have hosting with inmotionhosting nor anyone else, just a couple domain names we've purchased over the years and have been sitting on.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 11, 2019 03:31PM
At work we have:
Registrar: GoDaddy
Host: Site Ground
Email: Google

So they can all be split up. If you just want Google to deal with e-mail, then you have to set-up the MX records at your host. [support.google.com]

But your problem might be that you don't have a host, so you can't set-up the MX records. So you might need to go find yourself a cheap host first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 03:32PM by Gareth.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 11, 2019 03:37PM
And if you want Google to be your web host as well, you can do that, but OMG, it looks incredibly overkill and complicated.

Supposedly, it's somewhere on this page, but damned if I can figure out what basic web hosting actually costs from Google: [cloud.google.com]
Date: April 11, 2019 05:22PM
Looking at it again, my impression is that Google will sell you some "tools," one of which is their email service as a backend to your customer-facing domain name. Maybe regular site hosting isn't actually part of it.

I'll look at hosting companies again, but the Gmail engine might not happen if I have to pony up an additional amount each month for that and not get regular site hosting there.
Date: April 11, 2019 05:31PM
deckeda
Looking at it again, my impression is that Google will sell you some "tools," one of which is their email service as a backend to your customer-facing domain name. Maybe regular site hosting isn't actually part of it.

I'll look at hosting companies again, but the Gmail engine might not happen if I have to pony up an additional amount each month for that and not get regular site hosting there.

Fair... I don't know anything about Google web hosting.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: August West
Date: April 11, 2019 09:17PM
I purchased a domain from Namecheap and used their private email service, then I later set up hosting on Namecheap. More emails set up at xxx@mydomain.com than I will ever need. Then I set up my email clients on my several Macs to manage the Namecheap email addresses.

ETA: I also set up a subdomain on the original Namecheap host for another domain I own and all those email addresses too.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 09:20PM by August West.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 12, 2019 12:07AM
deckeda
Say you've bought a domain name. Got your own myname.com or whatever.

If email is just another service requiring server space, do ya just sign up for hosting, and now you can send/receive email with myname.com etc?

I suppose my question is about hosting. Low bandwidth, simple needs etc.

As others have previously said, you can split out everything. Your Registrar, at its most basic level, is who you pay to manage and register your domain. It maintains your contact information and secures the domain so that only you can change the DNS records attached to it. The Registrar is where you would go to change where your various domain services go to. The DNS records are what tells the internet where to go for what services in your domain.

You can set your MX (mail exchange) DNS record to go to Google for email.
You can set your A (internet site) DNS record to go to your webiste host.

You can also program subdomains to go to other servers as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018