advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My oldest child is turning 14 Sunday!!! YIKES... What to get him (He's Asperger's)
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 12, 2019 05:40AM
Good god, where did the time go!!! Seems like just yesterday our son "Declan" was born.. Then 12 years ago we got the grim words that spun our life out of control "Your son may be ASD". But tons of hard work with tons of support and early intervention our son has blossomed into a wonderful young man and requires very little support from our local "main stream" school!!! Still lots of uncertainty at times he's very talented in music (plays French horn and Piano) and just joined track (7th grade). In fact, last summer he went to Blue Lake for Piano for almost 2 weeks!!! We are so proud of him!

So, that leads me to my question for "help"... He's a very difficult child to shop for at times!!! He's turning 14 on the 14th of April. He's requested to go to "Black Rock" for dinner and we are going to make this happen. He asked for a better iPhone but he already has an iPhone SE that is just a little over a year old so that isn't going to happen. He loves his Nintendo Switch but only plays Zelda and Fortnite... Did purchase him a new headset seeing he broke his current ones. His Nintendo Switch is slightly damaged so I'm thinking we "send it out" for repair and possibly a game (any suggestions?). I'm thinking we encourage Track and maybe get him wireless headphones so he could hit the track.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My oldest child is turning 14 Sunday!!! YIKES... What to get him (He's Asperger's)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 12, 2019 07:23AM
Congratulations on continuing to survive parenting ! He’s at an age where he can start to build a set of touchstones... family heirlooms or things of meaning for him and you all. We are all part of our history.

My parents gave me my great great grandfather’s gold pocket watch when I turned 14. And I’m definitely ADHD and “Think differently”. It’s a cherished object, and will go to my eldest son when I’m confident that he can stand on his own (he has a number of issues ... sorry dude, my genes are weird...)
Re: My oldest child is turning 14 Sunday!!! YIKES... What to get him (He's Asperger's)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 12, 2019 07:49AM
Get him an "experience." Could be as simple as bowling, or as involved as a trip on a clipper ship. Make it about him. Fwiw, I struggle with the same problem, and I need to take my own advice sometimes.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 12, 2019 07:51AM
Insert obligatory non-serious suggestion of "a 19 year old stripper with loose morals" here...

Congrats on surviving the rearing process!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: April 12, 2019 08:27AM
Sounds exactly like our son and our experience, right down to the Nintendo. Speaking of which, for a birthday gift you might look at Uniqlo's new line of Nintendo themed t-shirts. I ordered several for my son's birthday next month. Go to the store's main site and do a search for Nintendo and they should come up. The suggestion above about an experience (escape room? weekend trip with parents?) also sounds like something that would be great. Also, if he doesn't have it you might look at some of the Nintendo Labo kits, where the user builds various cardboard devices that work with the Switch.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 12, 2019 08:34AM
It might not be as personal and fun to shop for as an actual physical gift, but, I've found that many teens specifically request Amazon/gift card/credit as a gift. They can research products online, read reviews, wait for sales, and save/spend credits on exactly what they want.

I used to get my pre-teen daughter Target gift cards. She goes through phases. Toy phase, Lego phase, clothing (affordable) phase. She can return stuff at the Target store. I stand with her at the return line. She budgets the credits and decides what to buy. Is that sparkly top worth $17 in credits or should she save up for the jeans. Pool weather is right around the corner and she has to buy a new swim suit and replace the goggles she lost. It's nice to see her think about purchases.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018