advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I feel like I've been napping while networking standards have quietly improved
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 13, 2019 01:59PM
For quite a while it seemed like networking technology was stagnant and perhaps it was. But now that I'm looking at wiring up a house with cat 6 (or better) cable and ubiquiti routers and access points its clear that THINGS CHANGED without someone personally telling me.

Anyway, I'm going to return to my single router/access point life for the time being.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I feel like I've been napping while networking standards have quietly improved
Date: April 13, 2019 02:13PM
Bonus points for anyone who can tell me if I need to use rider or plenum rated cable for runs between a basement and first floor.

Re: I feel like I've been napping while networking standards have quietly improved
Posted by: hal
Date: April 13, 2019 02:16PM
Wifi too - using post 2015 macs networked with wifi is remarkably faster than using 2010 macs.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 13, 2019 02:48PM
I would say just follow the local building codes for running Ethernet or electrical cable through chases between floors.

Plenum rated cable is for locations that run cables through active air ducts. I wouldn't expect a building inspector to require it for a residential site unless you made a huge production of obviously running your cables through your heating/AC ducts.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 13, 2019 06:40PM
mattkime
Bonus points for anyone who can tell me if I need to use rider or plenum rated cable for runs between a basement and first floor.

Plenum is required for use in spaces that are used as air returns, typically above drop ceilings. You'll be fine using riser rated cable.

As to your original observation, it is the huge demand for Wi-Fi in all spaces that is finally driving forward advancements in local area network standards, while wholesale migration to cloud services is driving forward growth in data center technologies.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 06:55PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: April 13, 2019 08:54PM
...and now I'm trying to figure out which cabling standard I should run. Currently looks like Cat 6A - Cat7 is expensive and so is 10GB ethernet. Even if I installed I wouldn't have a way to test it. Wouldn't have a need for it, just trying to future proof it.

Posted by: Cary
Date: April 13, 2019 10:11PM
If you're trying to future-proof, I'd suggest using conduit, so it would be easy to upgrade the cable in the future, if needed.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 14, 2019 12:46AM
mattkime
...and now I'm trying to figure out which cabling standard I should run. Currently looks like Cat 6A - Cat7 is expensive and so is 10GB ethernet. Even if I installed I wouldn't have a way to test it. Wouldn't have a need for it, just trying to future proof it.

Cat6 at the minimum. Cat 6A would be nice. Cat 7 is overkill.

I always just run Plenum rated, it isn't that much more expensive and is a guarnatee it will be up to code, plus it is typically a higher quality cable.

You are going to need to get a cable tester. I used this one when I was at a place with a small budget: [www.amazon.com]

This one for a mid range budget: [www.amazon.com]

You probably aren't going to be doing enough runs to justify it, but the Fluke punchdown tool is worth its weight in gold. Which is good, because it is expensive:
[www.amazon.com]

I've done thousands of runs and there are always ones that fail, no matter how careful you are or how good you are at it. Make sure your keystone jacks and patch panel are for the same type as your cable. A Cat 6 patch panel won't work well with Cat6A cable. Different thickness of the cable. If you are going to mix cable types either do 2 different patch panels or get one of the patch panels that uses keystones in it.

Wireless speed and number of devices is why it has become more complex. You can get gigabit over wireless...

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 12:56AM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 14, 2019 03:05PM
C(-)ris
Cat6 at the minimum. Cat 6A would be nice. Cat 7 is overkill.

Cat 6 will support 10 Gbps for cable length up to 55 meters and 1 Gbps for cable length up to 100 meters.

Cat 6A will support 10 Gbps for cable length up to 100 meters.

Cat 7 is primarily used in Europe - you needn't worry about it.

Cat 8 supports up to 40 Gbps over relatively short cable lengths (<50 ft) and is typically used only in data centers at this time.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018