advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Real Story Behind The Picture (WWII Related)
Posted by: jh
Date: April 13, 2019 07:17PM
While I was revisiting a You Tube video (see related forum post), I viewed another video. Robert W. Sternfels, USAAF/USAF, talked about and answered questions concerning his participation in Operation Tidal Wave (August, 1943), a costly bombing run by the USAAF. Mr. Sternfels passed away January 24, 2018.

Now for the story behind the picture.

The picture above was taken from the raid and published in various media outlets as well as stored in the national archives. Mr. Sternfels states this picture is incorrect. Instead the picture should look like this:

How did he know? Because he was the pilot of the plane seen in the picture named The Sandman.

So how did the picture get reversed? He tells you in the video (explanation starts at 54:42 minutes).

Check out the full video if you want the details of:

1. What it was like to fly the B-24.
2. Why he used a rope to help fly the B-24.
3. How the raid did not go as planned and what they had to do.
4. How his plane got the name The Sandman.
5. What it was like to be stationed in Benghazi, Libya.
6. What the tunnels under the Egyptian pyramids were really used for during the war.
7. What it was like to fly a bombing run 200 feet above ground.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Real Story Behind The Picture (WWII Related)
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 13, 2019 09:59PM
Thanks for posting! My pops served in the 8th, 445th out of Tibenham, England. Was a waist gunner and armorer, flew 35 missions. He was lucky to come out of it intact, so I guess that makes me and my sibs lucky, too. He was on this mission: [en.wikipedia.org] aboard the Patty Girl. I believe his DFC was awarded as a result of that mission. He didn't like talking about it.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018