advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So, do I have the dreaded GPU problem, late 2011 MBP?
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 13, 2019 11:22PM
Original owner, pristine condition. About a year before Apple ended the free fix, I had an incident, a restart on its own and a blue haze for a second. I took it in to be tested, they said it was fine, no free fix for you. Just before the end of the program, I took it in again to be tested, checked out fine. This afternoon, all of a sudden, it restarted on its own and after the Apple it went to grey screen, then restarted again. This happened until I shut it down. Reboot did the same thing. Wouldn’t boot from another drive, wouldn’t boot into Safe Mode or Recovery. Ran Apple Hardware Test twice and it said no trouble found. Don’t know if I want to do the re-flow trick or not since I’m thinking it’s more of a band-aid than an actual fix but I guess I don't have anything to lose.

Am I doomed? I really don’t want to buy another computer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, do I have the dreaded GPU problem, late 2011 MBP?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 13, 2019 11:25PM
Body parts crossed for luck w/ your MBP.
BTW, w/ flavor/specs are involved?
==
Date: April 13, 2019 11:30PM
2.4Ghz, i7 Quad, 16Gigs ram and a T SSD. It's been a wonderfully fast and capable machine all of these years. I was expecting a few more at least.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 13, 2019 11:37PM
A very sick machine for sure.

Might look on ebay for one that works that hasn't been upgraded, and you can move your SSD and RAM over,
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 14, 2019 12:39AM
[rossmanngroup.com]

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 14, 2019 06:33AM
ka jowct
[rossmanngroup.com]

yes try this, it seems like he knows what he's doing.
Date: April 14, 2019 07:55AM
Thanks, they open at noon today, I’ll give them a call.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 14, 2019 10:56AM
mstudio
2.4Ghz, i7 Quad, 16Gigs ram and a T SSD. It's been a wonderfully fast and capable machine all of these years. I was expecting a few more at least.

Almost 10 years of service? My wife's 2009 MacBookPro died this month after 10 years of pretty light service and few very angry wife days. She's using an iPad for her websurfing/bills/emails now.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: April 14, 2019 11:20AM
Just spoke to Rossman, seemed like a nice guy. They don't repair that model anymore. He said they were having too high of a return rate, just no good parts out there, I guess. He was surprised mine lasted as long as it did. I have an Apple appointment tomorrow to make sure that is the problem, then I guess I'll just move on.

I'm bummed.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 14, 2019 12:02PM
That's too bad Rossman doesn't have parts any more. You might be able to get some money selling it for parts on ebay.

It was a great laptop on paper, but the initial changes in manufacturing they implemented before making these pretty much guaranteed that many would eventually fail.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 14, 2019 04:38PM
It can be fixed with a software change only. The change disables the discrete GPU so if you use software that needs or benefits from the discrete CPU this isn't for you but it does allow continued reliable use of the computer.
Date: April 14, 2019 04:59PM
OK, that's interesting. How does one go about that and how do I know if my software needs this discrete CPU you speak of? I guess I can google that.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 14, 2019 05:25PM
sekker
A very sick machine for sure.

Might look on ebay for one that works that hasn't been upgraded, and you can move your SSD and RAM over,

Not a 2011 because sooner or later it will have the same problem. You want the mid-2012 non-retina. And by the way, the 2012 stock 2.3GHz CPU is faster and runs a lot cooler than the upgraded 2.4GHz CPU in the 2011.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 15, 2019 03:52PM
mstudio
OK, that's interesting. How does one go about that and how do I know if my software needs this discrete CPU you speak of? I guess I can google that.

I will save you both many hours of investigation and the pain of misleading or dead-end "solutions." Italicized items are Terminal or single-user mode commands; all are followed by <return>. Note that spaces and capitalization in the command strings are very important!:

A Permanent Software-Based Fix For The MacBook GPU Problem *

Prepare by resetting the SMC and zapping the NVRAM:
	•	Unplug all peripherals then shutdown the computer
	•	Hold leftShift+ctrl+opt+Power for 10 seconds then release
	•	Press Power then immediately hold cmd+opt+p+r for 2 chime cycles then release and immediately hold down…

Startup in Recovery/Single User Mode:
	•	cmd+r+s

Make the required initial changes:
	•	csrutil disable (disable SIP)
	•	nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00 (disable discrete GPU)
	•	nvram boot-args=”-v” (next startup will be in verbose mode)

Restart in single-user mode:
	•	reboot then immediately hold down…
	•	cmd+s

Remove the driver for the discrete GPU and store in a (new) backup directory:
	•	/sbin/mount -uw /mkdir -p /System/Library/Extensions-offmv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions-off/touch /System/Library/Extensions/reboot (The system should now be able to boot up normally but will be capable of using only the iGPU)

Using Terminal, allow thermal management of the disabled discrete GPU:
	•	sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions-off/AMDRadeonX3000.kextsudo mkdir -p /Library/LoginHooksudo nano /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh (using the NANO editor, create “LoadX3000.sh” and enter the following 4 lines)

#!/bin/bash
                 kextload /System/Library/Extensions-off/AMDRadeonX3000.kext
                 pmset -a force gpuswitch 0    # undocumented/experimental
                 exit 0

•	(press control-X to exit, press y to save then just hit enter to exit NANO and return to Terminal's command prompt)

•	sudo chmod a+x /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.shsudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh 

One last change…
	•	reboot then immediately hold down…
	•	cmd+r+s (startup in recovery/single user mode)
	•	nvram boot-args="-v agc=0"reboot (Finally! Just let the computer restart normally)

DISABLE AUTO-UPDATES AFTER DOING THIS MOD!

* All of the above is my write-up (used successfully on my Early 2011 MBP running Sierra!) and was derived from the excellent procedure at [apple.stackexchange.com] (start at "Background and explanations”)

And to answer your question about the discrete GPU, few applications (e.g. Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.) need it.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 04:53PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: April 15, 2019 06:57PM
Whew.....

I will give that a try, after a stiff drink!

It will be interesting, I've got nothing to lose.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 316
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018