The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
pRICE pOLL-Anyone patronize MacMall?
Posted by: DP
Date: April 14, 2019 07:18AM
Poll
Anyone buy from MacMall?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
45 votes were received.
Yes 7

16%
No 3

7%
They still around? 35

77%

MacMall (and PCMall) have been around forever. At least, I remember them from my earliest days getting into the world of computers. I bought an iMac a lot time ago from them and got on their email list so I get one every morning. Since then it's like an old friend saying hello every day. Well, not really, but you know what I mean...

Anyway, they're still around and going strong it seems. I know of a friend's business that, whenever they needed computer related equipment, had an account with them and didn't even check around for pricing, just went right to PC/MacMall and ordered. I presume they had positioned themselves early in and has maintained their niche which then would be a large part of their business, correct?

So, who buys from them?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pRICE pOLL-Anyone patronize MacMall?
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 14, 2019 07:42AM
In the past - tax free - not so much now
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 14, 2019 09:22AM
........most don't like it when people talk in a patronizing tone..........at least in my experience.....guess someone out there would like being talked to in that manner....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: April 14, 2019 09:34AM
vicrock
In the past - tax free - not so much now

Same here.

Fred
Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 14, 2019 10:06AM
Logged in to see my last purchase there was a keyboard in July 2014.
November 2012 an Apple TV.
Pretty much off the radar these days.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 14, 2019 10:13AM
Once, because the had a great deal on some piece of Apple kit.

But not since, as they always charged tax, having a store in CA.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 14, 2019 10:20AM
Wow, 2012 was my last purchase (thought it would have been longer ago), for a laser printer transfer roller, so they must have had the best price back then.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 14, 2019 10:26AM
I check their prices when price-checking for friends or shopping for a new Mac. They have excellent discounts.

...I think Amazon's deal with Apple is going to hurt businesses like that. The last few times that I checked prices on low-end and mid-range Mac laptops, Amazon beat everyone by a considerable margin.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 14, 2019 11:47AM
According to my email I last purchased from them on 12/30/08.

I didn't realize it was so recent.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 14, 2019 11:53AM
They were my go-to for my job during 96-98 school years. MacWeek was one of their main places to advertise. The school IT department had a credit card on file. I used it once without telling them because I needed a ton stuff of quickly before the semester started. I got an upset call a couple of weeks later when the boxes started arriving, but I had a P.O. nearly all ready to pay them back.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 14, 2019 12:19PM
I *think* I discovered them back when overnight $3.00 shipping for anything they sold was their thing. (I know others also offered it too). That always amazed me how they could get a package from one state to another in such short time for so little shipping fee.

I got soured with them when they shipped me a used mac that was advertised as new. It still had all the info from the previous owner on the hard drive! It took quite a bit to resolve that issue and I don't think I've shopped there since.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: hal
Date: April 14, 2019 12:45PM
DP
I know of a friend's business that, whenever they needed computer related equipment, had an account with them and didn't even check around for pricing, just went right to PC/MacMall and ordered.

I recently bought a batch of minis from a school district. Inside some of them, I found DMS ram (it was funny lookin) and one DMS SSD (it had the heft of cheapness). I wondered why anyone would go to DMS for all of their needs and figured it must have been someone like your friend -a guy that has done biz with them back in the 90s and they remained the go-to for this guy ever since.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 14, 2019 01:17PM
Back in the 90s, MacMall and MacWarehouse were a go-to for everything Mac (since local big stores like CompUSA and the like all but refused to stock Mac stuff). The various companies I worked with ordered a lot from them, and I got excited (like Sears Christmas Wish Book excited) every time a new catalog showed up in the mail.

I couldn't tell you when my last order was. It's been over a decade if not more, I would think. Maybe longer than that. Online ordering took over, especially with the likes of OWC (with its specialty items) and Amazon.

And these guys, with their no tax/free shipping sales hook.

same as it ever was | 109:8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 01:18PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 14, 2019 01:50PM
It’s been a LOOOOOONG time since I’ve purchased anything from MacMall but, back in the days when I did shop there, I was always satisfied with their products and service.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 14, 2019 01:59PM
Zoidberg
Back in the 90s, MacMall and MacWarehouse were a go-to for everything Mac (since local big stores like CompUSA and the like all but refused to stock Mac stuff). The various companies I worked with ordered a lot from them, and I got excited (like Sears Christmas Wish Book excited) every time a new catalog showed up in the mail.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 14, 2019 02:03PM
mattkime
Zoidberg

Ha, that image exactly came to mind before I remembered the name MacWarehouse.

I can remember, too, when Harry Anderson bought into a Mac mail-order company. I can't remember which one. But he appeared on the corner of the cover similar to this, with a blurb window that said "Hi, I'm DAVE, call for quick shipping blah blah blah". This was, of course, right around when he had that series that was based on Dave Barry called "Dave's World".

same as it ever was | 109:8
Date: April 14, 2019 02:20PM
MacWarehouse, MacConnection, and Cyberian Outpost were my GoTos.

Was it MacConnection that had FedEx for every purchase?

I mean every purchase. That's where I got my second Kensington Trackball.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: April 14, 2019 03:22PM
RAMd®d

Cyberian Outpost had the free overnight Fed Ex. My brother got a 32” tube TV overnight Saturday delivery.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 14, 2019 04:43PM
I used MacConnection and MacWarehouse mainly, and APS for drives. I know I also got stuff from Cyberian Outpost and Data Memory Systems. Nothing from any of those in the past 15+ years. The Chip Merchant was my main source for Mac memory.

I think my MDD G4 came from MacWarehouse, in 2002.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 04:45PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 14, 2019 05:51PM
kurtzie
RAMd®d

Cyberian Outpost had the free overnight Fed Ex. My brother got a 32” tube TV overnight Saturday delivery.

Cyberian Outpost and their free overnight shipping on everything was the bees knees. We were all devastated when they discontinued it. They said it was only a temporary promotion to gain business--and boy, did it work. Seems like it went for a long time (a year at least) but it's understandable that it wasn't sustainable.

ka jowct
I used MacConnection and MacWarehouse mainly, and APS for drives. I know I also got stuff from Cyberian Outpost and Data Memory Systems. Nothing from any of those in the past 15+ years. The Chip Merchant was my main source for Mac memory.

I think my MDD G4 came from MacWarehouse, in 2002.

Ah, yes, The Chip Merchant. I totally forgot about them but got almost all my memory from them in the early days. Later, it was a memory and drive outfit that advertised a lot on the Accelerate Your Mac site but I can't recall the name. Wait a minute--that site still exists?!!

Posted by: Acer
Date: April 14, 2019 06:05PM
I remember poring over the catalogs for hours, but I rarely bought, certainly not in the last decade or two.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 14, 2019 08:12PM
I got one of the HP tablets from them during the fire sale. Pretty sure that's the last thing I bought there, and that was what, 2008?
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 15, 2019 12:38AM
I'm pretty sure I haven't bought anything from MacMall since the last millennium.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 15, 2019 05:05AM
Pretty sure my last purchases were when they sold Mac clones.

Far better options for Macs like OWC, or more generic PC kit like Newegg.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 15, 2019 11:17PM
I think I bought my palm pilot from them. Amazing piece of technology. And I remember paying $600 for 32 mb of ram.
Date: April 16, 2019 05:10AM
[i]xlr8yourmac.com ![/i]

Hey, I remember that site!

And it looks the same as way back when!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 312
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018