advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I recently realized that the item that has been in my possession for the longest is a clothes hanger
Posted by: hal
Date: April 14, 2019 03:19PM
Sunday musing...

Years ago, I identified a small wooden box that my mom gave me for Xmas circa '68 as the one item that has been in my possession the longest. But not long ago I was staring at my closet and realized that I simply don't have enough clothes hangers. I need to get some more... have I EVER 'needed to get more' clothes hangers? Just where did the ones that I currently have come from? They have come and gone over the years, but I always had enough of them. Staring even closer it occurs to me that some of them have surely been in that closet for a LONG time. Moved from closet to closet over the years...

I actually look at them...

One of them is made of wood and steel with lots of text on it. It came from French Cleaners & Dyers. Address is 680 Fairfield Ave phone number is 'Nobel 3846' - I assumed it was in Fairfield, CT where the family lived for a short time, but it's in Bridgeport, CT where we also lived for a short time. There now stands a Walmart according to google maps...

We moved from CT in 1967. This clothes hanger is my oldest possession - that's just weird...

Wasting time while watching a hockey game... I searched some more...

I found that there were plenty of complaints against French Cleaners & Dyers from the workers union to the dept of labor.

I found this advertisement from a newspaper in 1920 (my, how ads have changed):

Even found a pic of the storefront:

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I recently realized that the item that has been in my possession for the longest is a clothes hanger
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 14, 2019 03:27PM
I still have my @#$%&.
Re: I recently realized that the item that has been in my possession for the longest is a clothes hanger
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: April 14, 2019 04:46PM

My mother knitted this while she was pregnant with me in 1951.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 01:12AM by voodoopenguin.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 14, 2019 04:48PM
voodoopenguin

Paul

That's really sweet - I guess you've always been a penguin :-)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 14, 2019 05:02PM
I have a couple of things salvaged from home, after my father had to move off the family farm. My mother had saved a few things, including Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy, a bit the worse for wear, and a toy skunk that I had when I was about 8.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 05:02PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 14, 2019 06:24PM
A lamp I turned on a lathe when I was 13.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 14, 2019 07:28PM
Off the top of my head, I would say my coin collection I started way back when is the oldest possession I own. I still have the folding coin holders with pennies, nickels, and some dimes. A few silver certificates are also in there. I still have the little metal toolbox that I bought to safely store my collection.

Oh, and I recovered my vast collection of hardback Hardy Boys books. I had them stashed in the attic of my folks house when I got a place of my own. My nephew got them somehow, but grew out of them and left them in the basement of my folks house when my sister stored some of her stuff there. Too bad I couldn't say the same for my comic collection, also stored in the attic. Nephew sold them all for pennies on the dollar. He didn't know what I had, which were a few valuable # 1 issues in it. banghead smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 14, 2019 10:33PM
voodoopenguin

Paul

Google wants me to log into Chrome to view that image.

Edit: Thank you, Paul! :-)

Be sure to keep it off the telly....

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 02:05PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 14, 2019 11:04PM
When my mother passed, I found she had saved ALL my report cards from K through 12! I was able to confirm I've always been a somewhat slow learner, as my grades tended to start bad and get better. I spent my life as a B student! When my dad passed, I was able to get some of his paychecks from the 50s. As a skilled worker (4 color process offset printer), he made $1/hour in the early sixties. When he got married, his boss gave him a $.10/hour raise, and when he told his boss he was buying a house in 1964, his boss gave him a $100 bonus for the down payment!

$1/hour in 1959 works out to $8.77 hour now, according to BLS Inflation Calculator.

that $100 bonus works out to $822. Seems a little low.

The house was about $4000, its estimated at about $85000 now. That works out to 2125% inflation, the the $100 bonus works out to $2125 and the $1 hour would be well over $25/hour!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 15, 2019 05:43AM
Paul has us all beat, with the penguin from before he was born. Mine would have to be my kindergarten class picture from Kailua Elementary School, 1954.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 320
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018