advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Preferred docking solutions for newer Mac laptops
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 14, 2019 04:18PM
Any one using one that they are really liking? The person asking is a working photographer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Preferred docking solutions for newer Mac laptops
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 14, 2019 05:29PM
look no further than the forum overlords - [eshop.macsales.com]

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 14, 2019 05:55PM
My go-to lately has been Elgato - no complaints. It's at the point where I automatically recommend them for the most seamless experience.

I've encountered occasional display-wake problems with OWC and Belkin when working with the laptop lid closed in HS and Mojave. CalDigit did not deliver the promised power to consistently charge a 15-inch MBP. StarTech has very shallow USB-C ports and the USB-C cables tend to pull out from them.

Don't get me wrong - OWC's Thunderbolt docks have been pretty reliable overall. I suspect that a recent security update to HS brought the wake-from-sleep problem and Mojave... just sucks.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 14, 2019 07:07PM
Sarcany,

Which model by Elgato?

Robert
Date: April 15, 2019 06:34AM
Robert M
Which model by Elgato?

Standard 85w charge, two-display support, Displayport.

Have no experience with the Pro or Mini yet.

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 15, 2019 07:19AM
I ordered an OWC TB3 dock and after getting over an initial issue, its been humming along quite nicely. Although now I see they no longer make the one I have.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 15, 2019 08:40AM
Hi everyone,

Interesting question...

I'd like to get a dock but don't have machines with Thunderbolt 3 (or USB-C) yet.

Can you use one of these docks with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter?

Or, can you use a USB-C dock with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter or a connection to a USB 3 port?

Robert
Date: April 15, 2019 10:51AM
Robert M
Interesting question...

I'd like to get a dock but don't have machines with Thunderbolt 3 (or USB-C) yet.

Can you use one of these docks with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter?

I don't see why Apple's TB3/2 adapter wouldn't work, but you'd lose many of the advantages. I don't think it would support two displays, for example, and it wouldn't charge your laptop.

Might as well just buy a TB2 dock (which also won't support dual displays or charging because of limits with TB2... actually, you could kludge a second display from a USB port, but the refresh-rates would suck because USB display-drivers suck).

...A standard USB-C dock wouldn't work on a TB2 port with a TB3/2 adapter because USB-C/3.1 is not Thunderbolt. Might be able to kludge something together with a USB-A to USB-C adapter, but I dunno what the result would be so far as USB port-speed or support for Ethernet or display-support. Wouldn't bother to try it unless I was really bored and had the gear on-hand.

Posted by: btfc
Date: April 15, 2019 08:03PM
Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018