advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thinking of trading in my iPhone 7... XR or XS? (Moving from AT&T to Verizon).
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 15, 2019 05:57AM
Wife and myself both have iPhone 7 with AT&T. Thinking of moving over to Verizon due to bad cell service with AT&T as of late. So, if we do this we would need to get new phones. Verizon will give us $450 credits (each) for trading in our phones and transferring our service from AT&T. So, wondering if the XS is worth the extra money or is the XR a nice upgrade from the iPhone 7.

Looking for some real world input.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thinking of trading in my iPhone 7... XR or XS? (Moving from AT&T to Verizon).
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 15, 2019 08:24AM
Both are nice phones, just depends how much you want to spend.

I'd look at a Verizon reseller, likely cheaper in the long run.

Re: Thinking of trading in my iPhone 7... XR or XS? (Moving from AT&T to Verizon).
Date: April 15, 2019 08:26AM
Verizon Reseller?
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 15, 2019 08:42AM
Cellphone service provider that uses Verizon towers / Verizon network.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 08:44AM by Carm.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 15, 2019 09:05AM
[bestmvno.com]

Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 15, 2019 09:35AM
are you comcast/xfinity customers? their underlying provider is Verizon for the Xfinity Mobile service.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 09:36AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 15, 2019 09:46AM
I went from 7 to the XR and it was a fantastic jump. The portrait mode on the XS is better, especially if you like portraits of non human things like pets and dinner.The software driven portrait mode on the XR relies on human features. Download the Halide app and that problem is somewhat mitigated.

The XR is slightly larger than the 7, so you should look at one in person. It's tougher to do some things one handed, which I am noting now. I injured my shoulder skiing a month ago and currently only have about 50% function in my left arm and shoulder.

ApplePay with Face ID is so much better than touch ID, I find myself using it much more frequently. Face ID is also much easier than unlocking via code or touch ID.

Do it!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: April 15, 2019 10:06AM
I know the grass is always greener... Anyone else notice AT&T sucking as of late?

We can do Xfinity but they aren't offering any "Buy one get one" deals and need to go in to get a trade in quote for my old phone. Basically Verizon is giving us both $450 per phone to switch and trade in our iPhone 7's...
Posted by: DP
Date: April 15, 2019 11:03AM
I would just be very careful of Verizon. I was with them for years and it ended on a bad note. Pay very close attention (more than the usual) to the small print with Verizon.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 15, 2019 01:00PM
Xr = colors + 128GB option
Xs = camera + no 128GB option and at least $250 add'l cost
==
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 15, 2019 01:34PM
spacescape
I know the grass is always greener... Anyone else notice AT&T sucking as of late?

We can do Xfinity but they aren't offering any "Buy one get one" deals and need to go in to get a trade in quote for my old phone. Basically Verizon is giving us both $450 per phone to switch and trade in our iPhone 7's...

ATT fine here, been with them forever. 20 years? Also have DirectV, trouble free. And their wireless cable boxes are sweet.

We got 2 Xrs from ATT last year BOGO. $375 each. Good upgrade from 2 6.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 15, 2019 05:09PM
The Xr is bigger - for some, the size of the X is closer to an SE.

Maybe try them in person?

I think they are both nice upgrades over the 7.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 15, 2019 06:26PM
Markintosh
Face ID is also much easier than unlocking via code or touch ID.

Eh, depends on how you need to use it. I find Face ID to be slower than Touch ID and to fail way more often requiring me to enter my code more often than I ever had to with Touch ID.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 15, 2019 07:35PM
Gareth
I find Face ID to be slower than Touch ID and to fail way more often requiring me to enter my code more often than I ever had to with Touch ID.

I think that's the exact opposite of most users' experiences…
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 15, 2019 10:14PM
Article Accelerator
Gareth
I find Face ID to be slower than Touch ID and to fail way more often requiring me to enter my code more often than I ever had to with Touch ID.

I think that's the exact opposite of most users' experiences…

I input w/ glasses and w/o glasses Face ID profiles into the Xr, and it unlocks before I can even get a good look at it. It's definitely faster than trying to get my finger on the Touch ID button of the iP6 that it replaced. Caveat, I have gimpy hands and fingers, so the Face ID is certainly easier for me in every respect, but as AA noted, the speed is impressive as heck. I'd suggest that if Gareth hath encountered slow/faulty performance, that a couple of new face scans be (re)entered... and check to make sure they're being entered properly while they're being entered. If Face ID is still wonky, then it's probably a bad phone.
==
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 16, 2019 04:29AM
The XS is a better phone. Higher resolution OLED display, two lenses for the camera so you can have a real zoom, as was mentioned, a better portrait mode, and so on. It is basically an updated iPhone X, same size. We gave our daughter an XR for Christmas, but she really wanted a good phone camera, so she upgraded to the XS Max with her own money, and she loves it!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 16, 2019 10:45PM
After a quick search, I see Verizon has new iPhone X for $899.
[www.verizonwireless.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018