advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Echo + Home Stereo question
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 15, 2019 08:41AM
I have an Echo Spot connected to my Denon receiver via RCA to stereo mini plug. Plug goes out of the Spot and into an input on the stereo. Therefore, the Echo makes no sound unless the stereo is on.

So i tell the Echo to play something and switch the receiver to the input for the Echo. I can tell that the Echo is playing b/c the lyrics are displayed. But I get no sound. I verify the correct input is selected. It is. But no sound. So then I rotate the input knob on the receiver one step to the next input and rotate it back and voila! Sound! So wtf is that all about?

I figured I'd ask b/c i just don't know where else to ask. Also, yesterday my brother told me the same sort of thing happens to him. He plays Netflix on his smart TV which is piped through his receiver via the ARC input. But no sound. He then switches inputs from Netflix to Amazon Prime, then back to Netflix and he has sound.

I realize they aren't exactly the same situation but it seems like the stereo is just lagging when it should be getting sound. Or it's not registering the audio at first. Or something.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 15, 2019 10:18AM
What happens when you set the receiver's input first? I know you shouldn't have to do that, but ...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Echo + Home Stereo question
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 15, 2019 10:28AM
deckeda
What happens when you set the receiver's input first? I know you shouldn't have to do that, but ...

Hmmm...not sure. My remote is programmed to do it for me. Perhaps I need to build something into the recipe to accommodate that. Since the Echo is always "on", it's just a matter of switching the inputs on the stereo. But now that I think of it, I could easily have it switch to the right input then switch to another and then switch back. Or set up a delay for the switching. It'll at least give me something to play with.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 15, 2019 10:23PM
This kind of thing is frustrating, and I don't know what to tell you. I have an Echo Dot connected to a Denon AVR-X4000 receiver, and I haven't experienced this, but I will try to test it out in the next couple days. I had a similar problem with a much older Denon receiver (AVR-3200 from the late 90s) that sometimes struggled to lock on to a signal. Seemed to be a digital/analog thing, but your problem and your workarounds bring back some memories.

My Dot's signal is split between the Denon (I use this connection infrequently, but it's for better quality audio using the main stereo/speakers) and an Audiosource amp (primary use) that feeds my kitchen and patio speakers. The only problem with this setup is that the amp wakes when it gets a signal from the Dot, but it takes 2-3 seconds to do so. Fine for music, etc, but the first few seconds of any audible confirmation is always cut off.

"…to grocery list" leaves you hanging not knowing if the right item was added.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 285
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018