advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone use a weighted blanket for restless legs syndrome or other sleep issues?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 15, 2019 09:11PM
I don't think I would like a heavy blanket, but some people swear by them.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone use a weighted blanket for restless legs syndrome or other sleep issues?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 15, 2019 09:40PM
I use a fan blowing on my legs to cool them down for restless legs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Anyone use a weighted blanket for restless legs syndrome or other sleep issues?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 15, 2019 09:49PM
i bought one from Costco just before xmas and returned it a few weeks ago. (gotta love Costco's return policy.)

i love the feeling of covering on me and i thought it would help me sleep better. the jury on sleeping better is still out because of a number of factors in this particular model. good grief - i can't even remember the name of the brand at the moment.

1. 20lb though the recommended weight for my size was too heavy. moving in bed was a chore. plus, my little doggie sleeps with me under the covers in winter and i was always concerned it was going to suffocate him so i would arch my arms in a way to keep it off him. not very restful.
2. i have a full size bed and the blanket is meant for one person coverage so it's more twin size. i could never quite find the right placement for it.
3. the fill is sand and it tended to shift around like a down blanket without baffles. kept needing to shake it out to resettle the sand.

i still like the concept. it's definitely only something useful in winter because it was way too hot as Spring in the South drew near. i might try a 15 pounder next season.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 15, 2019 10:24PM
I have one. Did my research and picked one that was fuzzy with pockets of glass beads rather than sand-capsules as those get the best reviews. 20lbs for a guy my size.

Used it all through the winter. Consistently got to sleep about 10 to 15 minutes more quickly. Seemingly not a huge difference, but it actually did make a difference in my alertness the next day.

One of the best features: The glass beads retained heat and then radiated it slowly so that in addition to being generally warm like a thick blanket, if I got out of the bed to hit the bathroom at night, I came back to a very warm bed.

Only bad thing: It sometimes slipped down between the mattress and footboard during the night and with the weight, dragging it back up to make the bed in the morning was a bit of a pain.

I really enjoyed it and would still be using it, but it's too warm to use now that temps are in the 60s and 70s outside.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2019 05:01AM
I've been looking for a heavier blanket than the polyester ones have.

The feeling of weight tells me it'll ward off the cooler weather, and I sleep better. All I saw were more poly and cotton. Not heavy. I saw some fuzzy blankets at Costco but they were Queen and King. I wanted a twin for one side of the bed.

But this 'heavy blanket' thing took me by surprise. Pockets? Sand? Beads? >$150?! WTF?!

And you guys are saying 15bs? 20lbs? No way. I may just get a Costco fuzzy and fold it a couple of times.

Fortunately for me, I only get restless leg when I'm sitting and tired. Then it's time to hit the hard deck. I go horizontal and the legs are happy.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 16, 2019 05:21AM
Banana helps me.

My daughter loves her weighted blanket.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 16, 2019 05:45AM
Old folk remedy for restless legs is a bar of soap under the bottom sheet at the foot of the bed - one of those free and can't hurt to try it things.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: April 16, 2019 06:01AM
vicrock
Old folk remedy for restless legs is a bar of soap under the bottom sheet at the foot of the bed - one of those free and can't hurt to try it things.

interesting.

please tell me more about how this could be a benefit.

thanks in advance.

rob
Posted by: rz
Date: April 16, 2019 09:56AM
I don't have restless legs, but I've always needed some kind of weight on my legs in order to get a truly restful night of sleep. My brother is the same way. I used to have a extra pillow on the bed that I'd put down by my feet, but it would fall off. Several years ago, I started putting a wool blanket between the sheet and bedspread. It mainly only covers from my waist down to my feet. It's folded a few times to give it extra bulk. It works great. Then the weighted blanket craze hit a couple of years ago, and I realized it's not as weird as I thought it was.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2019 10:07AM
I remember when 'restless leg' here or at dm was soundly denounced by forum experts as marketing hype.

It's folded a few times to give it extra bulk.

I've been doing something similar, but everything shifts and it's daily chore to not only make the bed but to reset up my ersatz heavy bedding.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 16, 2019 10:54AM
I definitely have it. And I tried the wife's weighted blanket. Didn't help at all. Or maybe it would have if all the other factors didn't make me throw it off. Alas, if its that bad i take a couple ibuprofen before bed. My daughter has it too. Although she only developed it after her twin knee surgeries. She has a weighted blanket too. It helps her.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 17, 2019 09:09AM
....just....weight.....and see.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: April 17, 2019 11:26AM
I take Lycopene and Potassium and they seem to help with restless leg, not a cure but help.

I bought a weighted blanket in the fall. $89.00 shipped from Amazon, glass beads, 20 pound.

I like it a lot. It's super warm so as it's gotten warmer I turned the fan on in my room. I sleep only with a sheet and the blanket.

Here's the easiest way I can explain how it works...you know when you go to a fancy hotel and you slide beneath the sheets and all the blanket/covers push down on you, making you feel secure...that's the whole thing with this blanket.

It makes you feel like you are being hugged all night, but can still turnover! Some like that, some don't
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 328
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018