advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My last minute tax clown show via Tax Cut and Epson (Long)
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: April 17, 2019 12:15PM
I always wait to the last few days to do my taxes. They aren't difficult so it never has been a problem.

So I buy H&R Taxcut from Amazon. I've always used it and have had no issues.

But not this year! I go to install it on my Mac Mini with Mavericks. It throws up an error message and the installer quits. Scour the web for solutions, but find none.

Okay, think, think, think. I'll try to install it on my MacBook Pro with El Capitan. Success, it installs without issue.

Start the process and the program asks for my 2017 tax return. That shouldn't be a problem, I'll just get it off my Mac Mini. Go to look for it and last years returns aren't on my Mac.

Well, it seems when I got my new Mac Mini in August, Migration assistant didn't transfer over the files.

So now I have to set up my old Mac Mini. Attach it to a monitor and pull my logitech keyboard and mouse over.

Can't get the Mac to see them. @##$$%

Search through my Mac junk and finally find a USB mouse and keyboard. Success after an hour.

I message the files over to my laptop.

From her the filing goes pretty easy. We usually e-file our federal tax return since it is free, but since Ohio charges too much, we just mail it in.

Go to print. A message pops up tell me I'm out of Magenta. Okay, no problem, I'll just tell it to print in black and white. Epson will not let you print in black and white when another cartridge is empty.

Now that is pure @#$%^!!!!!!!!!

I launch the Epson ink monitor to make sure nothing else is low or empty. Nope, only Magenta.

Pop over to Staples and get the cartridge. Come home install it.

Now I can print my return. Hit print. Another Epson message pops up. Cyan is out.

WHAT THE HELL? So I launch Ink Monitor, and of course, it now says Cyan is out.

@#45! I run back over to Staples and get a Cyan cartridge. Install it, and hit print.

Son@#$%^, this printer from hell now tells me yellow is out! Obviously the print monitor app is useless.

I run over to Staples for the 3rd time and buy yellow. Come home and install it.

Hit print. I get 8 blank sheets of paper.

Launch the Epson printer app and find the head cleaner utility. Run that. Hit print again and finally success after a couple hours of me exhausting my large supply of curse words.

So I'm never going too use Tax Cut again. From reading various sites, it seems plenty of others had installation issues as well.

As for Epson, @#%% you. When I go through the ink I bought, I'm going to chuck this printer in the garbage and find something that actually works. That your software won't let me print in b&W when a color cartridge is out is a crime. You got me this time. HAHAHAHA. It will be the last time though.

So there you have it. What should have taken an hour, turned into an all day affair.

Any suggestion on a decent printer? Both HP and Epson are off my list.

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My last minute tax clown show via Tax Cut and Epson (Long)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 17, 2019 12:37PM
Get a cheap brother laser printer. You have about 365 days until your next filing is due.

Posted by: TLB
Date: April 17, 2019 12:49PM
I had the install problem back in January. If I recall correctly, it was a simple fix; I don't remember exactly but I think you couldn't drag the program to the Applications Folder showing in the installer. Instead, you had to open a Finder window with the Applications Folder and drag the program there. I actually found the solution under a different program so I got the sense it was a Mavericks glitch.
Posted by: surfer33
Date: April 17, 2019 12:58PM
Got a Brother Laser Printer at Costco a decade ago that is still going strong. Rock solid and inexpensive to run.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 17, 2019 01:03PM
Cant just file electronically?

If you dont owe any money, no need to hurry, right?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 17, 2019 01:04PM
Amen on the Brother. Bought a Brother color laser Multifunction printer last year and its been rock solid. Every gol darned inkjet I've ever owned clogged themselves to death, because I don't print that much. To heck with them.

And duplexing is awesome.
Date: April 17, 2019 01:45PM
Brother? I take a look and post a few possibilities for your approval.

Bryan
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 17, 2019 01:49PM

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 17, 2019 02:24PM
2nd recommendation on a Brother printer.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 17, 2019 02:31PM
3rd recommendation for Brother.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 17, 2019 02:43PM
So the only true problem with TaxCut is you were using it on a computer running OSX 10.9 - which Apple stopped supporting years ago.

Always had success running HP printers. Sign-up for HP Instant Ink, and you'll save a lot on ink. I pay $2.99 per month for the 50 pages per month plan. HP automatically mails replacement ink cartridges before I run out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 02:49PM by Forrest.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 17, 2019 02:46PM
No need to apologize for doing your taxes at the last minute. To me it's a badge of honor. By the way, BW laser printers aren't just for taxes. They are also wonderful for proofing magazine ads.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 17, 2019 03:04PM
datbeme
They are also wonderful for proofing magazine ads.

smiley-score010

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 17, 2019 03:32PM
jdc
datbeme
They are also wonderful for proofing magazine ads.

smiley-score010

how old is that joke?

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 17, 2019 03:52PM
It isn't just Epson that shuts down, my stupid Canon AIO does the same. I will eventually use up the ink I have and buy a laser printer.

And yeah, Taxcut is a pain. I also read somewhere that HR Block will stop supporting Yosemite next year.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 17, 2019 04:17PM
It should be noted that laser printers are not immune to this same problem. Of course, if you buy a B&W laser, then you only have to deal with 1 toner. But in an effort to preserve print quality, a laser might also shut down when it thinks it has reached the end of the useful toner. Although I've discovered for at least some Brother Color Lasers, you can reset the "toner counter" and continue printing and then it'll be up to you to decide when your print quality has degraded enough to warrant changing the toner.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 17, 2019 04:17PM
So I'm never going too use Tax Cut again. From reading various sites, it seems plenty of others had installation issues as well.

I have not used TaxCut in about 5-7 years now, but I do remember it was quite easy to use. One year I got it free and I compared with TurboTax, (or maybe it was the other way around, I bought TC and got TT for free) and both came with the same numbers.

Anyway, most if your time was spent digging for the old files on the old computer and dealing with Epson ink issues.

Your ToDo list should be
1) Get a Laser Printers
2) Migrate files manually in the future, do not trust Migration Assistant
3) Find an alternative tax prep software, if indeed TaxCut pissed you off so much.

At the end of the day yes, you must be grumpy, but not because of TaxCut. You had other bigger issues.
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 17, 2019 04:25PM
I bought an Ecotank in 2016 and have yet to buy more ink!
(I have kids and color printing is almost a must.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 04:26PM by jonny.
Date: April 17, 2019 04:36PM
Actually I tried to install it on Mavericks and it wouldn't. It easily installed on my old MacBook Pro, which runs 10.9.

Forrest
So the only true problem with TaxCut is you were using it on a computer running OSX 10.9 - which Apple stopped supporting years ago.

Always had success running HP printers. Sign-up for HP Instant Ink, and you'll save a lot on ink. I pay $2.99 per month for the 50 pages per month plan. HP automatically mails replacement ink cartridges before I run out.

Bryan
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 17, 2019 05:47PM
Grumpyguy
Any suggestion on a decent printer? Both HP and Epson are off my list.

Laser.

Workgroup/small-enterprise/SOHO, not a tiny $50 desktop printer.

HP makes very good SOHO laser printers. Industry-standard.

Brother makes some nice SOHO printers and they're generally Mac-friendly.

But HP owns the market and adheres closely to standards (because they set most of the standards). Can work with generic PCL drivers if they stop releasing driver updates for any particular make/model.

Posted by: Carm
Date: April 18, 2019 12:22AM
Another recommendation for Brother Inkjet only from me though. Last laser brother printer I had crapped out on me. I have a canon laser printer going strong three years.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 18, 2019 08:52AM
Grumpy,

Issues with tax cut aside, I think the lesson learned here is to always have spare cartridges on hand for your printer. Although my HP inkjets don't suffer from the problem you had with yours - they can print in black and white only even if one or more color ink cartridges are empty - I _always_ have a spare set of cartridges on hand. That way, I never have the issue that caused so much agita for you.

That said, I don't know what kind of Epson you have but one feature I always make sure I have on an inkjet printer is the ability to print in black and white only even when a color cartridge requires replacement. The HP inkjets I have in place (Officejet Pro 8500, Officejet Pro 8600, Officejet Pro 8100, Officejet Pro 8620) all have this feature. It's come in handy on many occasions.

'course, a laser printer can have a similar problem. Run out of toner and you don't have a spare cartridge on hand and you're SOL. You'll have to make a cartridge run anyway. Doesn't matter what make or model.

That said, I'd consider a black and white Brother laser. Dollar for dollar, they offer the best set of features for the buck when it comes to laser printers. Just wait until they go on sale prior to making the purchase and when you punch the buy button, make sure you break out a discount code to reduce the price further. You can save a _huge_ number of bucks. The better models offer wifi and ethernet, not just wifi.

Note, black and white only. My experience with an HL-4040CN has soured me entirely on color lasers from Brother. That is unless they've solved the issue of it using color toner even when set to black and white only mode. The HL-4040cn was in black and white only mode from nearly day one and it _still_ burned through all of the color toner. Got rid of the machine because it wasn't cost effective to replace the color cartridges, especially when I knew it was going to burn right through them again. Anyone know if Brother finally resolved this issue?

I'm still a fan of HP inkjets. But, based on reports from the forum, Brother inkjets have come a long way since my previously rotten experiences with them. I'd still be leery but that's just me.

Personally, I think the best solution for you is to just make sure you have spare color cartridges on hand for your printer and not worry about it.

Robert
Posted by: richorlin
Date: April 19, 2019 08:36AM
Get a Brother laser.
I bought a refurbished Brother HL-5250DN from Amazon in 2007 and it's still going strong.
After twelve years, the only problem is sometimes the duplex function jams.
I'll eventually replace it with this one:
Brother

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 309
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018