Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why am I getting this( error?) message?
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 17, 2019 03:17PM
"Cannot connect iOS device

At the moment the first connection of iOS devices mass 10.12 needs a permission at /var/db/lockdown with your administrator password. Allow it now?

No. Yes"

I was unable to Cut & Paste said message so, I've typed it verbatim. I am NOT trying to connect to ANY of my iOS devices.

This is happening on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012. Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Graphics 4000 1536 MB. Running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3

I have NO idea why this keeps popping up. About 10 days ago, I was helping a senior friend trying to set up a new printer to work wirelessly. I was unsuccessful. I checked the Cannon website and, called a toll free number. I was connected to a call center in what sounded like India. The CS rep had me open the Terminal and agree to software "upgrades" he said would fix the problem. When they didn't "fix the problem" he said that for $499, the problem could be handled by a senior programmer at which time I hung up. I don't know what this CS rep did while in the Terminal but, I now wonder if malware was installed. I've run MalwareBytes and, that reports I'm "clean". My MBP has been "wonky" but, I'm wondering if that's simply because I have a VERY marginal internet connection where I currently am. What say the Forum mavens?

I'm wondering if I put a new HD or SSD in this MBP and boot from the old HD, can I install a fresh OS and just go from there? I'd go to a local public library where I expect I'd have a much better internet connection. TIA for suggestions!

Doh, I just realized that I WAS trying to use my iPhone8+ as a Hotspot to boost the otherwise terrible WiFi. I could NOT get my MBP to connect to said iPhone8+ via Bluetooth. Once I clicked "Yes", said BT connection was made (I'm also using the Unlimited 3G connection via BT tethering my Samsung Galaxy S10+ can provide).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 03:28PM by testcase.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why am I getting this( error?) message?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 17, 2019 03:26PM
testcase
"Cannot connect iOS device

At the moment the first connection of iOS devices mass 10.12 needs a permission at /var/db/lockdown with your administrator password. Allow it now?

No. Yes"

I was unable to Cut & Paste said message so, I've typed it verbatim. I am NOT trying to connect to ANY of my iOS devices.

This is happening on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012. Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Graphics 4000 1536 MB. Running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3

I have NO idea why this keeps popping up. About 10 days ago, I was helping a senior friend trying to set up a new printer to work wirelessly. I was unsuccessful. I checked the Cannon website and, called a toll free number. I was connected to a call center in what sounded like India. The CS rep had me open the Terminal and agree to software "upgrades" he said would fix the problem. When they didn't "fix the problem" he said that for $499, the problem could be handled by a senior programmer at which time I hung up. I don't know what this CS rep did while in the Terminal but, I now wonder if malware was installed. I've run MalwareBytes and, that reports I'm "clean". My MBP has been "wonky" but, I'm wondering if that's simply because I have a VERY marginal internet connection where I currently am. What say the Forum mavens?

I'm wondering if I put a new HD or SSD in this MBP and boot from the old HD, can I install a fresh OS and just go from there? I'd go to a local public library where I expect I'd have a much better internet connection. TIA for suggestions!

Sounds like your /var/db/lockdown folder has issues. If I were you, I would clear the contents from that folder and restart the machine. You have a current backup, right?

Also, you really shouldn't mix remote tech support and terminal commands, if you can avoid it. old fogey smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: hal
Date: April 17, 2019 03:43PM
Search google for "Cannon support scam"

Seems like you went to a fake cannon support site - sorry, don't have any help to offer beyond that
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 17, 2019 04:23PM
how do people end up on these "Cannon support scam" sites? do they click the first link that pops up in google, yahoo or another search engine? why not start from canon.com and take it from there? Also if the web site is a scam, why does it show up on these search engines? In the age of artificial intelligence, you would think that search engines could clean up some of these results.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 17, 2019 04:32PM
.....you haven't learned the error.....of your ways....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 17, 2019 05:04PM
I did NOT "click on the first link that popped up". I saw those and chose a Cannon.com site. Why that site didn't have drivers for the Cannon model my friend had (Pixima MG52 I think). The Toll Free number I dialed WAS from the Canon.com site. My spider sense WAS tingling while I was speaking with the "CS rep". I believe I took Screen Shots of Terminal pages but, it's all gobbledygook to me.
Date: April 17, 2019 05:12PM
Cannon.com or Canon.com?

can you look into your browser history to find that web site? It is very curious that a legit Canon tech would ask for such a large amount of money to get their printer running. That type of support should be free.

The CS rep had me open the Terminal and agree to software "upgrades" he said would fix the problem.

Also, what does this mean? how do you agree to software updates in terminal?

I don't know what this CS rep did while in the Terminal but, I now wonder if malware was installed.

How did he connect to your machine, what software did you install to allow him to work in your terminal?
Date: April 17, 2019 08:36PM
s-t, I quickly realized that I was NOT dealing with a Cannon Authorized CS Rep. Said "CS Rep" requested access into the Terminal early in our conversation and, against my better judgement, I allowed it (yes, I was suckered). Since I'm NOT AT ALL familiar with the Terminal (other knowing enough for me NOT to "mess around" inside the Terminal), anything done was greek to me. The scammer was able to "look around" inside my MBP for ~ five minutes before I ended the call. As for logs, I wouldn't know where to look for them or, how to interpret them if I could locate them. How many lines of macOS code are there (millions)? I expect there would be LOTS of places that a scammer who had more knowledge than me, could hide malicious code in many, many places. Back in the OS9 days (and earlier), I remember using ConflictCatcher as a way to test and eliminate problematic issues. I don't know if there's anything like that in the OS X world these days. Because OS X is UNIX based, it was supposed to be MUCH more secure (or at least the line Apple wants users to believe). I posted here because I know there are some members who are VERY SAVVY when it comes to issues like the Terminal. Other than Malwarebytes, what other diagnostic and or repair software would be prudent to try?
Date: April 17, 2019 08:53PM
Said "CS Rep" requested access into the Terminal early in our conversation and

Sorry, but you did not explain how you allowed him to access your terminal.

and HOW DID YOU FIND THIS TECH? which Canon web site? what number did you dial?

Other than Malwarebytes, what other diagnostic and or repair software would be prudent to try?

also try [etrecheck.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 08:54PM by space-time.
Date: April 17, 2019 11:21PM
s-t, the CS Rep ASKED me to open the Terminal and, although I was leery, I did so (as I stated in a prior post). I've already stated I was a sucker. I also agreed to allow him "use" my MBP similar to the way Apple does when they do Remote Diagnostics. I have run EtreCheck (Professional and the Power User package). It doesn't point to any specific problem. It refers me to a lot of standard safe practices. My MBP (2012) came with 8GB RAM and still has the Apple OEM 750GB HDD. I think this model can take up to 16GB RAM and, I'll get an SSD for it as well. Those two ideas are the first things EtreCheck recommends upgrading.
Date: April 18, 2019 05:45AM
I also agreed to allow him "use" my MBP similar to the way Apple does when they do Remote Diagnostics.

Interesting, I assume they use Apple Remote Desktop then. You don't remember installing anything like TeamViewer or Log Me In, right?

Also HOW DID YOU FIND THIS TECH? which Canon web site? what number did you dial?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 18, 2019 09:00AM
He probably went to cannon.com

It's Canon, not Cannon.

I believe therein lies the rub.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 295
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018