The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
From Vox: What DNA ancestry tests can — and can’t — tell you
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: April 20, 2019 10:05AM
Poll
DNA Test
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
45 votes were received.
I have had one done 11

24%
I plan to have one done 3

7%
I'm on the fence whether to have one done 8

18%
Nah, why bother? 18

40%
Other (which I will explain if I'm not too lazy to answer) 5

11%

I found this interesting although I will admit I have zero interest in having one done:

[www.youtube.com]

Thoughts? Comments? Results?

Of course I had to add the obligatory poll...

D & C
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: From Vox: What DNA ancestry tests can — and can’t — tell you
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 20, 2019 11:30AM
You need another option, such as:

Never in a million years would I have this done.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 20, 2019 11:34AM
I would choose not to do this test due to lack of faith that a commercial company will keep the info private. Will a future of genetic discrimination like the movie Gataca exist?

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 20, 2019 11:51AM
pRICE cUBE
I would choose not to do this test due to lack of faith that a commercial company will keep the info private. Will a future of genetic discrimination like the movie Gataca exist?

agree smiley

Once in a database, ANY database, the possibility of abuse is not will it happen but rather WHEN will it happen? Once many people reach a position of power, it is frightening just how far they're willing to go to KEEP that power. History is rife with examples that most people are willing to forget. It doesn't matter whether a governmental or private concern holds the information and, in today's age of incredibly easy data transfer, misappropriation of ANY database is simply a matter of time. Who on this forum doesn't own at least one USB thumb drive? old fogey smiley
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 20, 2019 11:52AM
freeradical
You need another option, such as:

Never in a million years would I have this done.

This. No way. Not only am I not particularly interested in the results, there's no chance I'm giving information like that to any company not bound by HIPAA, and maybe not even then, given how lousy data protection is in most medical outfits.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 20, 2019 12:45PM
The results are not necessarily very reliable. My only interest would be to check for Neanderthal DNA, because it would be cool to discovered that I had some, but not cool enough for all the downsides.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 20, 2019 12:50PM
For what it’s worth, if your ancestry is from outside sub-Saharan Africa, then you will have anywhere from 1-6% Neanderthal DNA.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 20, 2019 01:22PM
Carnos Jax
For what it’s worth, if your ancestry is from outside sub-Saharan Africa, then you will have anywhere from 1-6% Neanderthal DNA.

That figure always bugs me. For a couple of reasons...

1. We have nearly 100% Neanderthal DNA. We're more closely related to them than we are to chimps.

2. Neanderthals did have some unique DNA sequences in mitochondrial DNA that appear to have crossed over into modern man via interbreeding.

We also have some percentage of markers (DNA sequences) in our DNA that are considered "ancient" and are loosely associated with Neanderthals, but it's not clear what conclusions we can draw from the presence of the markers.

Commercial DNA ancestry tests identify the presence of those markers. The number that they provide for Neanderthal ancestry is a guesstimate based on a loose association. It's not scientific.

Date: April 20, 2019 01:56PM
When you read of these figures I being quoted by scientists, I’m sure the context is relevant to what makes sense for the discussion at hand. Figures like 99% commonality with Chimpanzee DNA and 1-6% Neanderthal DNA are appropriate for what’s being discussed. A good place to start if you want to get a deeper understanding of what these figures mean, a good starting place are the Wikipedia articles on the subject.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 20, 2019 02:00PM
In addition to all the privacy downsides, I consider this to be a notch or two better than a horoscope.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 20, 2019 02:06PM
Sarcany
1. We have nearly 100% Neanderthal DNA. We're more closely related to them than we are to chimps

Sure, but this is not what is meant by having "Neanderthal DNA".

What it means is that humans were banging Neanderthals, and that therefore their offspring got "infused" with more Neanderthal DNA.
Date: April 20, 2019 02:36PM
What’s fascinating with all the DNA analysis techniques we’ve been developing is how similar all modern humans are. And we should be, as DNA and archeological evidence show we almost went extinct, having dwindled to only a few thousand breeding pairs in east Africa. From there, somehow we rebounded fantastically to go on and dominate the Earth. It’s also told us that we retained our dark African skin color up until we discovered agriculture about 20,000 years ago (and therefore switched from a paleo diet that provided Vitamin D to a more grain one that did not) with populations farthest from Africa (like in the British isles) losing their dark African skin only about 6,000 years ago.
Posted by: max
Date: April 20, 2019 04:47PM
freeradical
Sarcany
1. We have nearly 100% Neanderthal DNA. We're more closely related to them than we are to chimps

Sure, but this is not what is meant by having "Neanderthal DNA".

What it means is that humans were banging Neanderthals, and that therefore their offspring got "infused" with more Neanderthal DNA.

Spoils of pillage and looting.....
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 20, 2019 04:49PM
I would not have a DNA test because there is no missing family history.

DNA testing has proven useful in tracing family history when there is missing information - shown on the TV show Finding Your Roots.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 20, 2019 05:54PM
On the subject of consumer DNA ancestry tests, and it's ab(use) to solve cold case murders, Bear Brook podcast is worth a listen if you haven't yet.

[www.bearbrookpodcast.com]

[podcasts.apple.com]

Two barrels. Four bodies. And the decades-long mystery that led to a serial killer.
A podcast about a cold case that's changing how murders will be investigated forever.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 20, 2019 07:31PM
My sister-in-law got us kits as an Xmas gift. I went along with it. One reason my wife wanted it was because our son was born with a donated egg, and we don't really know a lot about the donor mother (she's from another country). All of my grandparents were born in Europe (different countries), and I know there's an adoption in my father's family tree.

The results were interesting. I'm almost 50% of the ethnicity of my father (and my son is almost 25% of the same, which makes sense). My mother's parents were from two different countries, and the mix seemed about right. The odd part is that it said I'm approximately 1% Nigerian! I'd like to apologize in advance for any spam emails you may have received from my "relatives"...
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 20, 2019 07:51PM
We received kits for Christmas as well. I went ahead with it because there is some question about whether my Dad's line came from Scotland or Sweden (not that there is all that much difference). The report did not address that distinction. I went ahead and built the family tree and the DNA report could have come directly from that without any DNA involvement. BTW, my records for my maternal grandmother are very limited and Ancestry.com did fill in several missing pieces to that line, so that proved useful.

My wife was adopted so we were curious to see if any information would be forthcoming about her heritage. Turns out No. European DNA but there have been no references to unknown cousins or relatives.

An 87 year old friend of ours was a sperm donor in college and he has heard from several of his "children," a point of interest and amusement for he and his wife.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 20, 2019 08:22PM
I've always maintained that if there were a reliable method of anonymity, I'd be the first to get it done.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 20, 2019 08:22PM
Unless your parents and grandparents lived alone on an island, the only way you can be 100% sure of your heritage is to have your parents and grandparents tested along with you.

Research is getting better every year, both for predicting hereditary based diseases and targeting where your ancestors likely came from.

One of my brothers used 23andMe and things mostly came back as expected.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 20, 2019 11:45PM
sometimes good things come from it [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: April 21, 2019 10:38AM
I should have added a poll to see if anyone has had a DNA test for their pet. My sister had one done on her dog. She doesn't plan on breeding the dog so my reaction was why? Oh well, and so it goes...

D & C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018