Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU dead GPU on 2011 MBP
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 20, 2019 01:52PM
Original post, thanks for the replies. [forums.macresource.com]

I tried AA's suggestion, not difficult if you read and write everything correctly. I was able to boot into my account but the computer wasn't very useable since half of my apps froze the thing. I shut it down and put it back into its original box for now.

I found a very clean mid-2012 non-retina on ebay. I was able to move my SSD over but not the ram. Typing on it now.

Haven't decided if I want to sell the old one or not, the body and screen are perfect and I replaced the battery recently.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU dead GPU on 2011 MBP
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2019 02:14PM
I have three of the things. Two still work, one of those has the occasional video artifact, and the third one is dead. I also have a 2011 iMac that has gone down the same trail.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 20, 2019 02:25PM
Are both 13"? Same battery then.
Date: April 20, 2019 02:27PM
Both 15", I think they are the same battery, just haven't changed them over yet. The ram is different.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 20, 2019 02:36PM
mstudio
Both 15", I think they are the same battery, just haven't changed them over yet. The ram is different.

2011 and 2012 15" are very similar, battery is the same. RAM can be swapped too, but the 2011 shipped with slower RAM, but the 2012 will still run with it, and the 2011 will run with the faster RAM that the 2012 ships with. When I upgrade RAM in the 2011s I get the faster RAM, it was also cheaper at the time, and is then a perfect swap into a 2012.

Pretty much any speed DDR3 RAM will boot in a 2010-2012 non-retina MBP.
Date: April 20, 2019 03:20PM

Interesting. I had 16 in my 2011 and the 2012 came with 8. Would I notice any difference swapping the 16 into the 2012? Or will the faster 8 that's there now make up any differences?
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 20, 2019 04:20PM
my 2011 (15", high resolution matte screen) failed once, Apple fixed it, I am waiting for it to fail again. I have maxed out the RAM, replaced battery last fall, and I had what looked like a graphics card issue a few months ago but it's been fine ever since. I know it won't last forever, so I am trying to decide what I do next.

2012 is only one year newer and will soon be obsolete as well.
Date: April 20, 2019 04:59PM

Yeah, I know. I just wasn't ready for a new computer right now since my work is changing a lot and I just don't know what I will need in a few years. I decided on the 2012 because it's pre-retina, pretty much exactly what I had (minus the gpu problem) and my SSD slipped right in. It's extremely clean and I got it for 300 bucks. I'll live with it for a year or two then maybe move on to the next big thing. This one seems a little zippier than my old one, it's the 2.6, my other was a 2.4.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 20, 2019 05:48PM
mstudio

Interesting. I had 16 in my 2011 and the 2012 came with 8. Would I notice any difference swapping the 16 into the 2012? Or will the faster 8 that's there now make up any differences?

Hard to say, depends on your usage pattern. If you don't really exceed 8GB and cause a lot of paging, then staying at 8GB might be fine. But if you really can use the extra RAM, then it will save some paging, which might be faster, and could also increase the life of the SSD by reducing paging I/O on it.

The 2012 is a good fix for a GPU failing 2011, gets you a different GPU, USB 3 and support for Mojave and probably later, but you lose the ability to run Snowleopard.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 20, 2019 06:01PM
mstudio

Yeah, I know. I just wasn't ready for a new computer right now since my work is changing a lot and I just don't know what I will need in a few years. I decided on the 2012 because it's pre-retina, pretty much exactly what I had (minus the gpu problem) and my SSD slipped right in. It's extremely clean and I got it for 300 bucks. I'll live with it for a year or two then maybe move on to the next big thing. This one seems a little zippier than my old one, it's the 2.6, my other was a 2.4.

I agree, don't get me wrong. My 2012 commend was not meant at you, it was mostly out-loud thinking about my situation. Except my wife's 2017 MBA model, running Mojave, all other computers in the house are on Mavericks and I am getting adieus from companies that no longer support it. Latest is Dropbox, which broke my 1Password workflow.

So I am in desperate need of upgrades. Something to do in the next few weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 06:53PM by space-time.
Date: April 20, 2019 06:49PM
GGD, sounds like I should give it a try, thanks.

space-time, no problem. I know what you are going through. This one should be good for me for a few years I hope. Then maybe an iPad Pro will be all I need!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 20, 2019 09:09PM
space-time

But not prone to the GPU failures of the 2011. (Obviously, you know this, just quoted for emphasis.)

mstudio
I decided on the 2012 because it's pre-retina, pretty much exactly what I had (minus the gpu problem) and my SSD slipped right in. It's extremely clean and I got it for 300 bucks. I'll live with it for a year or two then maybe move on to the next big thing. This one seems a little zippier than my old one, it's the 2.6, my other was a 2.4.

I had a 2011 that failed (or to be more precise, failed-ish--it still works sometimes but isn't reliable). Like you, I replaced it with a mid-2012.

The 2011 was the higher-model 2.4GHz. The 2012 is the base model 2.3GHz, but the 2012 uses a newer generation of the i7 CPU. As I mentioned in your other thread, with the same RAM and SSD, the 2012 is noticeably faster and runs much cooler as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 09:11PM by AllGold.
Date: April 21, 2019 03:51PM
Yes, AllGold, thanks. I’ve still got the 8gigs of ram it came with but with my old ssd installed and using it for the last few days, I’m glad I made the purchase. I think the faster 2.6 processor and ram make up for the 16gigs I had in my old one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018