advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Online Store Courier Service
Posted by: jimmy d
Date: April 20, 2019 10:25PM
Last week I ordered a new iMac online to be shipped to my son. The delivery options included a guaranteed delivery within two hours by “courier” for an extra $9. I chose that option, and just over one hour after I placed the order, the iMac was in my son’s hands. Maybe this is old news here, but I was beyond impressed: I was absolutely amazed. It was worth the $9 just to see if they could deliver on their promise and, boy, did they. In spades.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Online Store Courier Service
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2019 11:27PM
!!!

And Leader!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 11:27PM by Speedy.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 21, 2019 08:03AM
I'm curious to know how close to an Apple Retail store he is, and if this service is offered everywhere. Where did the courier get the iMac that was about an hour drive away.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 21, 2019 10:16AM
That's fantastic! You probably couldn't drive to the store to purchase and get it any sooner!

No WAY they could do that in my podunk little town, with the closest Apple store 150 miles away. sad smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: April 21, 2019 10:57AM
GGD
I'm curious to know how close to an Apple Retail store he is, and if this service is offered everywhere. Where did the courier get the iMac that was about an hour drive away.

There is an Apple Store in the town where my son lives. I assume the iMac came from there, but I don't know for sure. The drive from there to my son's house is probably 15-20 minutes tops.

I forgot to mention that the site provided an app that showed a map with an image of a car which enabled me to follow the progress of the delivery vehicle in real time until it reached my son's house. Cool beans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2019 11:35AM by jimmy d.
Date: April 21, 2019 12:06PM
What really got me was the $9 charge. How can they not be losing money on that? The vehicle was a car with an Uber-type driver who told my son he worked for various companies. (The app I referred to contained a head shot of the driver, his first name and the option to contact him via text or voice.) They must be paying him more than $9.

My guess is that this is a test and that they are pricing it to encourage people to try it to get a lot of data quickly. Who wouldn't pay $9 to get a new CPU delivered almost instantly? If this option ever becomes commonplace, I could see the price going way up from $9.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 21, 2019 12:53PM
I can see them doing this for $9 or even for free. Amazon and Costco sell heavily discounted Macs, so for Apple to get their MSRP is an excellent deal, they can afford to pay $25-35 to a driver to deliver the item to the destination, it is still much cheaper than the discount they would have to give to Amazon or Costco.
Date: April 21, 2019 03:55PM
space-time
I can see them doing this for $9 or even for free. Amazon and Costco sell heavily discounted Macs, so for Apple to get their MSRP is an excellent deal, they can afford to pay $25-35 to a driver to deliver the item to the destination, it is still much cheaper than the discount they would have to give to Amazon or Costco.

The Amazon price for the iMac (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display, 3.7GHz 6-core 9th-generation Intel Core i5 ) was exactly the same as the Apple Store's ($2299) at the time I ordered.

In fact I originally ordered the iMac from Amazon with free two-day delivery but they jerked me around after guaranteeing two days. First they told me that it would be a day late. Then the day before the new date it still had not shipped by late afternoon. So I cancelled and ordered from the Apple Store and was blown away when I got to the checkout and was offered this deal. My son had the iMac about an hour later. Take THAT, Amazon!

(Is anybody legit really selling "heavily discounted" new Macs these days? If so, I wish I had known.)

Update: Sorry space-time. The Amazon price was actually $2229, a $70 discount. I guess the similarity of the numerals fooled my tired, old eyes. I’m not sure if that’s a heavy discount as a percentage, but I take your point that it would likely cover more than the cost of delivery. Bottom line, though, is that I got sh***y service from Amazon and stellar service from Apple, the $70 be damned.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2019 05:11PM by jimmy d.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 21, 2019 09:41PM
(Is anybody legit really selling "heavily discounted" new Macs these days? If so, I wish I had known.)

Costco has deal once in a while, also try BH Photo
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 23, 2019 08:48AM
jimmy d
What really got me was the $9 charge. How can they not be losing money on that? The vehicle was a car with an Uber-type driver who told my son he worked for various companies. (The app I referred to contained a head shot of the driver, his first name and the option to contact him via text or voice.) They must be paying him more than $9.

With so many companies offering free shipping nowadays, you gotta figure shipping is built into the price, so add that to the $9 surcharge. But I wouldn’t assume the driver is making more than $9 for that delivery since the gig economy is a race to the bottom to see how little tech companies can pay people on a contractor basis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018