advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
nun'ya business?!.....have you ever flown business class.....??
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 26, 2019 10:46AM
....whether free upgrade or paid for it....??

.....so nice that you never want to go back to coach [ cattle coach ]...........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: nun'ya business?!.....have you ever flown business class.....??
Posted by: JPK
Date: April 26, 2019 11:01AM
Yes.

Big differences in costs, amenities and upgrade chances between airlines and routes.

Why do you ask?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 26, 2019 11:07AM
....just flew [ paid for upgrade since the trip was a long haul ]......so nice......worth it for very long flights.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 11:37AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: STL
Date: April 26, 2019 11:11AM
Upgraded 1ce to Business Class. Very nice.
HOWEVER
No way would I pay the difference out of pocket.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 26, 2019 11:31AM
Agree with the consensus here-very nice, rarely worth paying retail for. Upgrades are worth it, if it fits my budget.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 26, 2019 11:54AM
For the very long hauls, very much better (and very much more expensive.) sleepy smiley
Posted by: max
Date: April 26, 2019 11:56AM
I buy it with points for my wife and kids when they travel. Personally I am too cheap, but isually I can get an upgrade to the front of the cattle car...
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 26, 2019 12:12PM
DeusxMac
For the very long hauls, very much better (and very much more expensive.) sleepy smiley

And assuming it's international, very different. HUGE difference between international business and domestic business, even domestic first. Int'l business is usually lay-flat seats, while domestic first/business are just bigger seats, more legroom, more service/food.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 26, 2019 12:27PM
It's often 4x more for those seats, so no, I don't buy those. Especially when we are buying for the whole family. If I traveled internationally, I would seek it out somehow, as I never sleep on a plane.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 26, 2019 12:30PM
My old company had a policy that if a flight was more than 4 hours they would pay for business class. I flew first class once back in the late 80's (British Airways) because it was cheaper (!) than flying business class. A little weird but buying the ticket in Pakistan made it hugely cheaper. It would have been a very amazing experience if I hadn't been so damn sick with dysentery and a respiratory infection that they quarantined me in Heathrow for a day.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 26, 2019 12:35PM
I fly Alaska and their business class is indistinguishable from cattle class. I bought the ticket a few times but couldn't tell the difference in available space or comfort. In fact I was several times asked to move back to cattle class to accommodate someone with special needs. I'm always happy to help someone but it was irritating since I had paid extra for my ticket. I now fly 1st class due to my size and my back surgeries and I am much happier when traveling. Far more comfortable and I arrive at my destination feeling good physically instead of being all cramped up from riding in the back. The ticket price is rediculous and I would never do it except for my physical limitations.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 26, 2019 12:44PM
Gareth
DeusxMac

And assuming it's international, very different. HUGE difference between international business and domestic business, even domestic first. Int'l business is usually lay-flat seats, while domestic first/business are just bigger seats, more legroom, more service/food.

I don't know about other airlines, but about 5 years ago when AA upgraded their fleet and replaced their 767s with A321T planes for their non-stop JFK to LAX/SFO transcontinental flights, they put in a much improved business class with the lay-flat seats/bed. Business on those flights also qualify you for access to their Flagship First lounge in JFK and LAX (SFO doesn't have one, but you get access to the normal Admiral's Club).

On their other domestic flights that are using the planes that they inherited from US Airways, it's as you described, just a bigger more comfortable seat. But occasionally there will be a 777 or 787 that started as an international flight with a final leg in the US (like DFW to SFO) that also has a lay-flat Business/First class.

But if coach is empty and sleeping isn't your goal, it can be more spacious than business class. I had all 6 seats in the exit row (both sides) to myself earlier this week.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 26, 2019 02:23PM
When we fly to Honduras to see family, I'll often upgrade going down with my miles. The seat and service are nice but mostly we do it for the luggage. With economy class, we would each pay $25 for one 50-lb bag, and $50 for a second bag (essentially $75 each for 100-lbs total). We can upgrade for $100 each and get two 70-lb bags (an extra 40 lbs apiece). So for $25, we get first-class, that includes priority boarding, better seats, airport lounge for the three-hour layover in Miami, free liquor, and a meal. That is well worth it.

Coming back is economy class since we will one have one bag between us and tight connections.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: maco
Date: April 26, 2019 03:16PM
My late wife worked for UAL for 8 years. Back in those days it was fairly easy to fly standby. We got to fly business class a bunch going overseas, and first class domestically. We use to tell people that it was cheaper to fly somewhere for date night than to stay home.

When I was flying a lot for work, I use to get fairly regular free upgrades to business class and first class. It was nice, but I'm probably too frugal to ever pay for it.
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 26, 2019 03:40PM
Yes, I cannot imagine traveling coach overseas. Job usually pays for it and gets me enough miles to be able to do at least one personal overseas trip. It was easier to get business class on miles in the past, I traveled several times with the whole family to Europe in business. But still, I have not traveled coach internationally in 20 years. I avoid traveling transcontinental, as the upgrades are also much tighter than they used to be and I do not like the idea of spending 5-6 hours in coach. The best trip ever was Singapore Air first class to Australia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 03:41PM by dk62.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: April 26, 2019 04:29PM
We recently flew to Australia for a three week vacation. I paid for the upgrade to Premium Economy on Air New Zealand. Twice the price of coach seats but well worth it for a 14 hour flight. The only difference between that and business was the lay flat seats. My seat reclined 45 degrees and I could fully stretch out my legson a foot rest and that was good enough for me. Excellent food, free drinks and real china and silverware! Business class round trip would have been $28K for two seats. I paid $6200 for Premium Economy.

BTW, the best flight we ever had was an upgrade from business to first on Cathay Pacific from LAX to Hong Kong, then on to Australia. That was when my wife worked at The World Bank and we got a free trip back to Aus every three years.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 04:32PM by richorlin.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 26, 2019 07:54PM
Similar to maco, but Mrs. Buzz has been stewardessing for 42 years now... and we're hoping for 50, then reevaluate. Plenty of business and first class flights, though sometimes interline flights on other carriers have proved interesting. About twenty years ago we had to be in Chicago for a special occasion, so we took a UAL nonstop from LAX -> ORD, to avoid missing the occasion. It was on a 747, and for $150/seat we got business class, and it was during their "Taste of Chicago" promo for cabin service. That worked out well. On the way back home, we were gonna freebie it, but bad weather up and the east coast was starting to affect flights all across the country, so at the last minute I popped for another $300, and "Taste of Chicago", 747 business class service to complete the round trip.

What made it nice, was that we were just trying to get there and back, and the business class upgrade both ways was unexpected, but greatly appreciated. I don't remember what the cost differential was, but part of the $150/seat was for a paid upgrade status, that as far as we knew was just to put us ahead of the usual freeloaders to have a better chance to get on the flights. Exigent circumstance both ways.

Maco's spot on about cheap dates... it was cheaper for us to go first class to Hawaii, and stay at an airline friendly hotel, than to drive up the coast to Pismo Beach and stay at a tourist trap motel.

Side note; we went to Tucson at the end of last month, and managed to get first class both ways, and while it's nicer than coach, it's a far cry different on a regional jet than on a real airplane.
==
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 26, 2019 09:38PM
richorlin
We recently flew to Australia for a three week vacation. I paid for the upgrade to Premium Economy on Air New Zealand.

We also vacationed in Australia and were intimidated by the 20+ hour return flight. So we decided to stop over in Hawaii. But I sprung for first class from Melbourne to Hawaii on JetStar (Qantas' budget carrier).

I was hoping the seats would recline to flat - I don't really care so much about the rest. But on JetStar, they only went to about 45 degrees, and all night I felt like I was sliding out of my slippery (leather) seat. So, no sleep = waste of money.

But it was only my second time in first class. My first time, I was returning alone from a meeting, packed into coach, and this guy came up to me and said, could I trade my seat with you? You're sitting next to my wife and kid.

Ahhh fer...oh, fine, I grumbled. Where's your seat? It's 2A.

2A? Uh...like, way up front? Yup.

When they brought me a little warm wet towel, I had to look around to see what the other cake eaters were doing with the damned things...
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 27, 2019 04:39AM
I've been upgraded twice. But, I wouldn't pay. When I travel I try to get an aisle seat so I can easily get up and move around. I do it every hour or so for a minute or so and I find it perfectly tolerable. I'd rather spend the big bucks on events when we get to where we're going.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 348
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018