advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting back in the game. How to rebuild my digital world?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 27, 2019 11:08AM
Poll
What to do?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
8 votes were received.
XBox One X? 0

0%
PlayStation 4 Pro? 3

38%
Bump the PC budget and build a “gaming” PC? 3

38%
MRF Cheapskate option - iMac + Bootcamp/Parallels + Steam 2

24%

After too many years, it looks like I’ll be able to really get back into the digital thick of it. So, choices, choices, choices...

The objectives.
  1. Mac, baby!
  2. Games-o-plenty to bust the stress
  3. Build a PC to work on and sharpen my IT chops
  4. Smart TV for the main room, 40” to the rec room?

The Mac I think I’ve locked down. 2019 27” iMac/i9 processor/upgraded video card/32GB of RAM from OWC. Don’t feel like I need the frills of a Pro iMac, the current Mac Pro is too much of a lame duck and the next Mac Pro is too far off and too much of a pig in a poke.

But beyond that?

I like the no muss, no fuss of a console. BUT games are a lot more expensive. BUT they get some of the “A” list games first. BUT I’m not sure I’ll like the controller life. I do like the idea of sitting on the couch and gaming on the big screen.

On the other hand, it’s past time I got a few cuts and scrapes building my own PC. I’ll learn some basics I’m overdue to learn. PC (Mac) is the platform used to gaming on. Conversely, keeping games off the PC will cut down the procrastination temptation greatly.

Everything on the Mac? What cheapskate worth their salt doesn’t like not spending money if they don’t have to?

(Fingers crossed I didn’t jinx myself by thinking about this now. big grin smiley )
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting back in the game. How to rebuild my digital world?
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 27, 2019 11:26AM
just get a stick,,,tie a string to it..tie a rubber bug to the end of the string..have someone dangle it around in front of you, paw at it..this is much better. Analog rules.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 27, 2019 11:33AM
In the same situation, more or less; my kids (all HS/college aged) either have Boot Camp or dedicated gaming PCs. Initial capital outlay is higher than a cutting edge console (though maybe not by as much as you'd think) but the games can be had cheaper.

Downsides is that you'll also need a dedicated display, an area to place it, etc. And with a PC, you can't sell the games on eBay or the like when you're bored with them.

The trend is moving towards all-digital stores, though; Microsoft announced a disc-less Xbox One S not long ago that will only work with their store. The problem with their business model here is that neither Microsoft nor Sony seem to think you deserve any manner of discount for not buying the physical game, at least with new and recently-released titles; i.e., if the game is $59.95 at the store for the physical release, the game is $59.95 on their digital store. I think that's @#$%&.

If you're a very casual gamer, a last-generation console would be the way to go. I'm still playing heavily on my old Xbox 360 even though there's a PS4 next to it (I'll be honest; we only ever use the PS4 to watch Studio Ghibli blu-ray discs at this point).

Me; I'll likely stick with my 360 for a while longer and eventually get a gaming PC to hook up to one of the extra video ports on my LG 43 (that's currently attached to my iMac). If I find a sweetheart deal on an Xbox One S (either via a friend moving on or a closeout) I may get it just for a few specific games but I doubt it.

FWIW, as an aside; I don't believe anything serious will come from the Apple Arcade initiative (it'll all be "gorgeous games" will boring replay value, same as the AppleTV and iOS).

Make it a good day today.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 27, 2019 11:40AM
....IMHO, instead of getting the latest, get a game system just 1 generation down....for example don't get the latest Xbox but the slightly older version....used if you can....it is cheaper, the games will be cheaper and again, you can buy them used.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 27, 2019 11:48AM
i just had my game addicted son read your post. he says 1,2, and 3 are excellent options (he's not big on using a mac for gaming).

his biggest suggestion is to ask what the friends you want to play on are using as that makes the interplay easier. and if you want to build or join a community of player friends he says XBox has the best platform for developing those connections.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2019 11:50AM by graylocks.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 27, 2019 11:56AM
Not sure how a $3500 2019 i9 iMac is the "cheapskate" option...

You could build or even buy a gaming PC for way under $1000 and have $2500 left over for games?

How big of a passion is this? like 10 hours a week? or 40?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 27, 2019 12:07PM
I wouldn't go the Boot Camp route b'c I don't trust that Apple is going to continue to support it. Of course, you can stall your Mac at a certain macOS to keep it working, but it's not the best way to go.

FWIW, I've been seeing Xbox One S package deals for a few months (?) now; lowest I think I saw was $180 for it with Forenza or something like that. Still not cheap enough for casual gamer me, though if the pack-in game was HALO: The Master Chief Collection I'd have gone for it, probably.

I still think an entry-level gaming PC is the way to go, especially in that you'll be able to upgrade components -- RAM, storage, video card, processor -- as your usage & needs change.

Make it a good day today.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 27, 2019 12:45PM
Figure out what your best/main gaming setup will be. What types of games do you want to play, which platforms do you want to play them on? Get a device that will play your preferred games well.

Then, grab a Mac that will serve your other computing needs well.

You could spend $1000-$1500 on a gaming PC, and then grab a 2018 Mac mini or lower spec 2019 iMac for about the same price as a maxed out iMac. Or even skip getting a new Mac, and spend a couple hundred bucks on a 2014 Mini with an SSD and you're probably served just fine for most basic stuff.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: April 27, 2019 12:51PM
If you're into old-school gaming, a RetroPie setup is a fairly inexpensive way to play old favorites
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 27, 2019 12:56PM
Zoidberg
I’ll admit, the main pull of the consoles is I can make my choice and be gaming the next day. But dixty bucks a throw really stings. Generally speaking though, games tend to be my main stress relief, so if a console somehow turns out to be the sweet spot, I’ll be in a position to go for it (fingers crossed).

Newton
I’ll probably go latest version of whatever option I choose, basically for the future proofing.

gray locks
Tell your son I said, “Thanks” for the input. I’m 99.9% sure online gaming will never be what I’m looking for, but you never know. As popular as online gaming is, I probably should have flagged my hermit like gaming habits. tongue sticking out smiley

jdc
The Mac is happening by default. I’ve been away from the fold for way longer than I wanted to be. I’m not a crank up the settings to 11 kind of guy, so I’m a bit of an edge case in that I could probably make doing all my gaming on a Mac workable, even knowing it’s far from the gamer ideal. Although as Zoidberg noted, the prospect of Bootcamp going away at some point is something that had occurred to me.

My gaming time can ebb and flow depending on other distractions/chores. It can spike at close to forty and dip into near single digits.

Thanks for the input, folks.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 27, 2019 01:18PM
I voted PlayStation but I like the Nintendo Switch better. We have both.

Your digital world starts with a TV with the most HDMI ports you can get.

1 Mac Mini
2 Nintendo
3 DVD BluRay
4 Apple TV / Playstation

Already I am sharing a HDMI port. I tried a HDMI switch but it was to much for the family to deal with.

This cable tray is really nice

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 27, 2019 01:27PM
Buy all of that if you can. That's exciting.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 27, 2019 01:39PM
The next Xbox may end up being a plain PC.

The only reason to get a console is to play exclusive games you know you like. NOTE: all online play now requires a monthly subscription that runs a minimum of ~$60/year.
-Xbox: Halo*, Forza, Ashen, Full Spectrum Warrior...
-Playstation: Last of Us, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus...

Any current iMac with the best GPU option should do a decent job up to 1440p. You can always buy a copy of Windows and put it on a different boot drive. There is a new option to run either a Mac or PC VM in Linux and have very close to native hardware performance. Description/instructions here: LinusTechTips - [youtu.be]

*it was a Mac game 20 years ago but Saint Steve turned his back on game developers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 27, 2019 02:47PM
RetroPi is good for playing 20-45 year old games - which can usually be downloaded for free. Figure $70-$100 for a Raspberry Pi 3B+, case, power supply, USB gamepad and a 8-32 GB SD card. If you want to play computer games, add in the cost of a USB keyboard.

I think the XBox One S is the sweet spot for playing new or recent released games. The 1 GB model bundled with 1 wireless controller and a game is usually on sale 2-3 times a year for $199. I think the model being released next week without a Bluray drive for $50 less is a dumb idea. XBox Live will cost you $60/year or $45 discounted, and gives you 4 free games per month.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 27, 2019 04:06PM
fwiw, Ive seen iMac Pros for $3999. Even just recently.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 27, 2019 11:49PM
I went much simpler and bought a refurb N64 with an HDMI adapter for about $100. Games can be found in the $3-10 range. No subscriptions are required.

Life is good...except that the current recovery from broken humerus with dislocated shoulder has left me with numb fingers and thumb in my left hand. Not much N64 happening for awhile...

So now its back to Golden Tee Golf on the arcade machine or WGT golf on the iPhone. Both can be done with much left hand.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018