advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need to repair Garage Door, Suggestions
Posted by: Microman
Date: April 29, 2019 05:03PM
I haven't seen it yet, but daughter told me this morning that she had to get a friend open her garage door, as the counter weight, broke. I think it may be one of the cables that have snapped.

I saw a youtube video about replacing, just not sure I want to bite off that job.

Other wise I will have to search for a garage door place that can service her Condo area, out there in Sylmar , California.

Any do it yourselfers out there.

I will know more tomorrow , when I have my daughter get off work, and send me some pictures and get the real facts, as to what model she may have.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need to repair Garage Door, Suggestions
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 29, 2019 05:05PM
$100-150 and done.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 29, 2019 05:11PM
If the garage door is made of wood, it's probably very heavy (more than 50 lbs) and I'd let a pro fix it.
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 29, 2019 05:20PM
What jdc said, not worth your time, especially if you need a torsion spring as most of the newer garages are.
Unless you have the time/interest in fixing it yourself. I helped my sister out and converted an internal spring system to two external springs. Took a while for parts to come in and I did bit of reading to figure out what I was doing, it worked out well for years until one of the torsion springs broke. She called a garage door guy to get it fixed, cost about $100. Just get a few quotes to get a fair price.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 29, 2019 05:28PM
Agree with the above. I've fixed them, even to the point of patching torsion springs, and it's not a job for the faint of heart. In fact, I really should not have done it at all. (I DID add safety cables). Busted springs can fly loose and kill you.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 29, 2019 06:04PM
I have stretchy springs and have replaced cables and springs several times. Not terribly difficult if you are at least somewhat handy. I prop the door up with clamps in the tracks and a redundant step ladder. ( I have never had opportunity to work on a torsion spring system; I hear scary things.) Next time it goes, though, I will probably have it and all the workings replaced, hopefully with a lighter door. My wooden two-car door is a beast.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 29, 2019 06:07PM
When I was young and stupid, I was renting a place with a single car garage when the very end of the spring broke off. I messed around and fixed it myself using the broken spring. A couple weeks later, I was closing the door from the outside (no opener) and I heard it it come off and ping and zing around the inside of the empty garage for what seemed like 10 seconds. Learned a valuable lesson and avoided the Darwin award all in one shot. I think I actually did end up purchasing the right part and fixing it properly, but the memory of what could have happened now prevents me from doing any repairs involving heavy duty springs.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 29, 2019 06:49PM
Overhead door does mine. Replaced that big overhead spring.
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 29, 2019 06:58PM
With the torsion spring if that’s what it is, Ive had three break. I heard it break two times, the spring was contained with the pipe in the center when they broke. Just heard a loud “sprong” noise and noticed the broken spring. As for the other type, they are much simpler to change out and are more available at HD and Lowe’s. The torsion springs need to be ordered if you don’t have access to a garage parts warehouse near by. They can be dangerous in the inexperienced hands or non mechanical hands. I’ve changed three sets and had no problems I’m no garage repair expert either.
Date: April 29, 2019 07:06PM
Had a recommendation of Cook Overhead Garage Door, which is somewhat local.

Gonna shoot him some pictures tomorrow and see what he says.
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 29, 2019 07:06PM
I would have no reservations replacing the cables and springs that run along the tracks. It's neither dangerous or difficult if you're the least bit handy (releasing the tension is as easy as raising the door and propping it up).

Torsion springs, on the other hand, are best left to experts, in my opinion.
Posted by: artie67
Date: April 29, 2019 07:14PM
Micro, lots of choices in the San Fernando/Sylmar area. Check out yelp and such. My contact has closed up shop many years ago. Yes, It was Acme Doors. Get a couple of bids if the first is out of budget range.
Date: June 16, 2019 10:27AM
Got it fixe. $350. New spring, this time it was on the outside of that long tube those goes across the top of the door. All Good
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018