advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Adobe tests removing $10 Lightroom-Photoshop plan
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 02, 2019 11:24PM
' The original $10 option is still available over the phone (1-800-585-0774) or by visiting Adobe's photography plan website (though it's not visible there for some, including me). "From time to time, we run tests on Adobe.com which cover a range of items, including plan options that may or may not be presented to all visitors to Adobe.com," the company said in a statement Thursday.

The test left some unhappy, including professional photographer and YouTuber Tony Northrup. A price of $20 per month "is too high for most beginning photographers," he tweeted Thursday, soliciting recommendations for alternative software. '

[www.cnet.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Adobe tests removing $10 Lightroom-Photoshop plan
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 03, 2019 12:37AM
Just give them your first born son and be done with it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 03, 2019 04:44AM
I'll keep CS6 going as long as possible, then look at alternatives. I am not paying for a subscription until the far distant future, if ever.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 03, 2019 06:14AM
Ombligo
I'll keep CS6 going as long as possible, then look at alternatives. I am not paying for a subscription until the far distant future, if ever.

yep.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 03, 2019 08:30AM
Kraniac
Ombligo

yep.

Yep yep. I have CS6 running fine and own On1 Photo RAW, Luminar 3, Aurora HDR 2019, Affinity Photo and others. I was going to spring for the CC Photoshop/Lightroom subscription when I get my new Mac but if they raise the price, they can keep it.

JoeM
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 03, 2019 10:34AM
JoeM
Kraniac
Ombligo

yep.

Yep yep. I have CS6 running fine and own On1 Photo RAW, Luminar 3, Aurora HDR 2019, Affinity Photo and others. I was going to spring for the CC Photoshop/Lightroom subscription when I get my new Mac but if they raise the price, they can keep it.

Yep, yep, yep. Which OS are you all up to? I'm contemplating going to Mojave.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 03, 2019 11:20AM
freeradical
Just give them your first born son and be done with it.

Or chalk it up as another business expense.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 03, 2019 11:28AM
$20 a month is too much? Coming from someone who probably spent over $50k on bodies and lenses without blinking? Considering that Photoshop essentially replaces having to process negatives and have a dark room I’d say it is a steal even at $20.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 03, 2019 11:37AM
Subscriptions never favor the consumer financially. But I suppose this one would if you don’t have meaningful time invested in photography.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 03, 2019 11:40AM
If I was still a full-time professional, then it is worth it. But I'm retired from the field and use Photoshop maybe once a month or so. Truthfully the only reason I even stay with CS6 is due to familiarity.

And MAVIC, I'm on Sierra.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: May 03, 2019 12:01PM
I think they will lose a good percentage at $20 if it goes to that -- for whatever reason, thats "money".

But somehow $10 is chump change, and easy to justify.

Sadly, "subscriptions" are a fact of life, for nearly everything these days.

----

Posted by: Billybob
Date: May 03, 2019 12:07PM
CS6 doesn't work on files from any of my current camera bodies (converting raw files to DNG is a non-starter).

I'm considering switching to CaptureOne, but my experiences with version 11 were not good.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 03, 2019 12:17PM
M A V I C
I'm contemplating going to Mojave.

I'm on Mojave and the entire CS6 suite works just fine.
Date: May 03, 2019 12:44PM
mstudio
M A V I C

Good to know, thank you! I know I'll also need InDesign and Illustrator to work.

Date: May 03, 2019 02:18PM
Billybob
CS6 doesn't work on files from any of my current camera bodies (converting raw files to DNG is a non-starter).

I'm considering switching to CaptureOne, but my experiences with version 11 were not good.

Id lock in the $10 CS price.

Assuming you have already tried affinty photo?

----

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 03, 2019 02:33PM
C(-)ris
$20 a month is too much? Coming from someone who probably spent over $50k on bodies and lenses without blinking? Considering that Photoshop essentially replaces having to process negatives and have a dark room I’d say it is a steal even at $20.

They're not doing the work for you. Just providing the tool. You process the "negatives." Or we used to pay E6 labs to do the work. Contextually, all Adobe is doing is selling you an enlarger and chemicals. They're not worth paying a monthly nut for all time. We might do it, but it's not a good value. It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 02:34PM by vision63.
Date: May 03, 2019 03:43PM
C(-)ris

Previously I paid $600 every 36mo. (I was skipping just about every other update.) That's about $17/mo. But the biggest difference is, back then Adobe had an incentive to come up with new features and fix bugs. If they did awesome work, I would upgrade sooner. If they didn't, I would upgrade later. Now, they do mediocre work and release major improvements less frequently than before, but charge $50/mo for the whole suite.

Think of it this way. You pay a landscaper to mow your lawn when it's growing - but not in the ~6-8mo of the year it's not. They come out once a week when it's growing, and charge you $50 each time. $1200 you spend each year.

But your landscaper wants a more steady income. So he says, pay him $200/mo, every month and then you will get your lawn mowed just as often. But instead, when it's growing, he only mows it every other week. Now you're paying 2x as much and it's being mowed half as often when it's growing. You don't win, but the landscaper does. That's what Adobe has done.

But it's actually worse than that. Adobe doesn't use standardized file formats. So you can't simply stop using, for example, InDesign and then use something else. You're locked in. With single-payment, if you decide you're done with Adobe you can still open your files and edit them. With the subscription service, you have to keep paying.

Date: May 03, 2019 03:52PM
jdc
Billybob

Id lock in the $10 CS price.

Assuming you have already tried affinty photo?

I'm already on the Adobe subscription bandwagon. The first year they offered the entire suite for $19.99 for students and faculty then jacked it up $10/month. Since Acrobat was the only product I used besides LR and PS, I opted for the $9.99 offering (plenty of good pdf management software available that isn't subscription based). However, it's pretty clear that $9.99 is not long for this world. I imagine that it will go to at least $15/month within a year. I'd rather get off now. before I'm too locked in.

QUESTION: What happens to your CS library when you stop subscribing? I imagine that you lose the ability to add and edit photos, but do you lose access to all existing edits? Can I export my edits to another program?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 03:52PM by Billybob.
Posted by: max
Date: May 03, 2019 07:59PM
M A V I C
JoeM
Kraniac
Ombligo

yep.

Yep, yep, yep.

Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep....

M A V I C
mstudio
M A V I C

Good to know, thank you! I know I'll also need InDesign and Illustrator to work.
They do....
Posted by: DP
Date: May 04, 2019 07:57AM
Billybob-converting raw files to DNG is a non-starter

Why? It's easy to do...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: May 04, 2019 10:12AM
The elephant in the room is the Microsoft Word problem.

You can write the best text but your client/business partner wants it to be a Word doc. Similarly, if any working photographer is expected to provide Photoshop files, there’s a best way to do that and costs 10-20 per month.
Date: May 04, 2019 11:47AM
deckeda
The elephant in the room is the Microsoft Word problem.

You can write the best text but your client/business partner wants it to be a Word doc. Similarly, if any working photographer is expected to provide Photoshop files, there’s a best way to do that and costs 10-20 per month.

The only real "photoshop" file is a PSD with layers? Affinity photo can open PSD files with layers.

jpg, png, tif, etc are all standard file formats... any application can open them.

----

Date: May 04, 2019 12:51PM
Adobe knows their fee gets passed down as a cost of doing business, even if their product isn’t needed by many people editing images. Forget shareware/cheapware. That’s for retired people. Amateurs not getting paid, regardless of how capable. Even the smallest business can find a way to write off $20 a month and so, they do so. It’s a resistance point easily overcome, not a software need necessarily.

But “sooner or later” you’d want everything $20 gets you, and so there’s a cycle again.

None of which overcomes the truth that it was still far cheaper to pay the $609 every few years.
Date: May 04, 2019 04:44PM
DP
Billybob-converting raw files to DNG is a non-starter

Why? It's easy to do...

Sure, but it's a pain, and extremely tedious if you're working with thousands of photos or even a couple of hundred. So, if a program doesn't work with native files straight out of the cameras, I don't use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2019 04:45PM by Billybob.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 278
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018