The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ever Wonder What Happens To Returned Merchandise? This From CBS:
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: May 06, 2019 09:16AM
You will be both amazed and disheartened at how much ends up in landfills:

[www.youtube.com]

"Typically about 8% of items purchased at a store will be returned; for ecommerce sites, that can be as much as 25% to 40%. And all the stuff that stores cannot easily resell will wind up in the secondary market, where one company's trash can become other people's treasure. Rita Braver visits liquidators who process and resell goods that are just as good as new, or even newer."

My life as a minimalist will continue...

D & C

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
11:36 PM - 22 Feb 2015

-Leonard Nimoy
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ever Wonder What Happens To Returned Merchandise? This From CBS:
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 06, 2019 09:59AM
I am surprised at the high rate of return for ecommerce.

On one hand, I can see disappointment in purchasing based on a picture, description by a marketing department, and online reviews poisoned by astroturfers and people who have no idea what they are talking about.

On the other hand, it is SUCH a pain to pack up something for return!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 06, 2019 10:43AM
My company makes industrial machinery and consumables. We sell consumer level equipment but it's industrial in nature. And returns from Box stores ? ZOMG... The fraud. so much fraud.

Box full of bricks.
Box with the outside of the machine and the inside.. bricks.
Machine that was burned up because of stupidity.
Mud. So much mud.
Etc.

Big Box stores have punitive return policies for their suppliers. We have to take it all back and refund the money.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 06, 2019 10:50AM
I don’t mind repacking something for return, if I don’t have to buy supplies or go to the post office . I had to do that to return a “new” Incase laptop sleeve, because it came in an envelope which was not reusable once it was opened. The supposedly new sleeve had a badly hand-painted image on one side, and it had to go. I ended up wasting time on buying another mailing envelope (trip to Staples), getting a friend with a printer to print out the return label since I have no working printer at home, and then taking the stinking thing to the horrible local post office branch because of course it was a USPS return label.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 06, 2019 11:19AM
Dazed & Confused
...visits liquidators who process and resell goods that are just as good as new, or even newer."

I can't remember how I stumbled across it but I watched a couple YouTube videos from folks that would buy pallets of returns to resell. At which point, my girlfriend said, "No, you are not going to do that". smiling smiley
Posted by: Winston
Date: May 06, 2019 12:09PM
cbelt3
My company makes industrial machinery and consumables. We sell consumer level equipment but it's industrial in nature. And returns from Box stores ? ZOMG... The fraud. so much fraud.

Box full of bricks.
Box with the outside of the machine and the inside.. bricks.
Machine that was burned up because of stupidity.
Mud. So much mud.
Etc.

Big Box stores have punitive return policies for their suppliers. We have to take it all back and refund the money.

For anything with a serial number, I'd think in today's world it would be relatively trivial to set up store systems to link serial numbers to buyers. Apple (and I assume other computer makers) put them on receipts.

And with all the biometric ID stuff available, it would not be that hard to even track what exact person returned something. Bet 90% of this could be done just on signature recognition.

I cannot imagine that the big store chains are not at least thinking about this. Returns take time and hassle for them too, and annoy their suppliers.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 06, 2019 03:00PM
....no backsies.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: May 06, 2019 05:01PM
I've purchased SO MANY ebay items that came from people buying pallets of returns and they ALWAYS sell the stuff as 'new - open box'. You can always tell because they say that the box was 'only opened to verify its contents'. If you ask then why they they opened a new box just to check contents, you can't ever get a straight answer. You have to ask yourself, what retailer mistrusts their supplier SO MUCH that they open sealed boxes to check the contents?

Most often, these were returned for a reason and I end up just wasting time...
Posted by: max
Date: May 06, 2019 10:25PM
Winston
I cannot imagine that the big store chains are not at least thinking about this. Returns take time and hassle for them too, and annoy their suppliers.

- Winston

Nope, their business model dumps the problem and all expenses involved onto their vendors.
Just as cbelt described.
One reason we always refused to even talk to the big box retailers....
Date: May 07, 2019 11:38AM
max
Winston

- Winston

Nope, their business model dumps the problem and all expenses involved onto their vendors.
Just as cbelt described.
One reason we always refused to even talk to the big box retailers....

Based on articles I've read about retailers like Target refusing returns from certain customers, I don't think this is wholly true.

Returnaholics Beware: You Could Get Blacklisted by Your Favorite Stores
"some of these stores are actually tracking your returns using sophisticated technology. If the number of returns you make in a given period is deemed excessive, there's a chance you could get "blacklisted" from making returns at the store."
. . .
"If you're curious about what your own return record looks like, you can contact The Retail Equation to ask for a copy of your Return Activity Report, which is a history of your return transactions posted in stores that use the Verify Return Authorization system. The report lists return activity information such as the stores you've returned items to and, for each return, the date and time, whether it was receipted or non-receipted and the dollar amount. To request your report, you can either send an email to ReturnActivityReport@TheRetailEquation.com or mail a letter to The Retail Equation, P.O. Box 51373, Irvine, CA 92619-1373. In your request, be sure to include your name and phone number. Reports are typically delivered in 24 to 48 hours by email and five to seven business days by regular mail."

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 09, 2019 10:11PM
Thanks for that information, Winston!
Date: May 10, 2019 09:40AM
When I emailed about getting a Return Activity Report, this was the response:

"Thank you for contacting The Retail Equation. Please call us at 1-800-652-2331 to obtain a copy of your Return Activity Report."

Have not yet had a chance to call.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018