Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Muse meditation device, or similar?
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 06, 2019 10:20AM
I'm hoping someone has experience with this thing.... [choosemuse.com]
I was considering getting this for my mom, who meditates but doesn't have great results. I like the higher end one with heart rate included because i think she could use biofeedback. She's really anxious and always complains she can't get her heart to slow down (but she's been cleared as fairly healthy). Does this work and is it easy to use?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Muse meditation device, or similar?
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: May 06, 2019 10:23AM
I am super satisfied with my own Muse for meditation. Honestly - had never meditated with any degree of success or normality until got a Muse. I think this is a great solution. I don't have the one with the heart rate stuff - that's new.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: May 06, 2019 10:25AM
Tempting. I love that you can see the results. Is it pretty user friendly? She's not techy and is easily frustrated.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 06, 2019 10:40AM
IMHO, devices like this may be useful, but may also add to anxiety because of the goal based nature of the device, and the processing one needs to observe the display.
To wit...
Ommmmm...
OMG the numbers are not going down ? Um.. panic ?

She may benefit more from guided meditation in a calm safe space. To me, the key point is removing distraction, removing thought and metal stress, and letting the body and mind simply ... flow.

Or I'm just fortunate that I can use these techniques very quickly to self calm and drop my heart rate in a matter of a couple of minutes.
Date: May 06, 2019 10:57AM
She has a very active mind, not a lot of discipline, and no attention span. That's part of why I think it's hard for her, although she's tried hard with books, classes, etc.

I can totally see your point, though. If it doesn't work, it'll make things worse! I wish she could rent one to try it or something,
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 06, 2019 10:58AM
RecipeForDisaster
She has a very active mind, not a lot of discipline, and no attention span. That's part of why I think it's hard for her, although she's tried hard with books, classes, etc.

I can totally see your point, though. If it doesn't work, it'll make things worse! I wish she could rent one to try it or something,

Find a guided meditation group that uses biofeedback and pay for a few classes ?
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: May 06, 2019 10:58AM
Definitely enjoyed the results and how it worked.

The feedback is audio - and it's audio that doesn't create anxiety, etc. you can then see the results of the sessions after it's over. They have really good series that get you started down the path as well.

I've found really good benefits to the meditation in general... I'd never intentionally done meditation successfully until a couple years ago after I bought one after I tried one. The game-theory/bio-feedback definitely made a difference. And for the first time I also understood what a meditative state is / etc.

Got my high recommendation. I gave them as gifts to OWC's management staff as well, believe in their benefit that much.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: roshi
Date: May 06, 2019 01:20PM
It's very individual. What works in meditation is as personal as, for example, taste in food and taste in music. Some people HATE the taste of cilantro, it tastes like soap. It's genetic.

Some people like having feedback from a machine. Other people prefer guided meditations.

The main thing is to not make yourself wrong when a particular thing does not work for you. It's like shoes - if they don't fit, there is nothing wrong with your feet. Try a different size and style.

I did a LOT of biofeedback in physiology labs in the 1960's and 1970's and 1980's, and have been following the technology.

Here are 14 guided meditations your Mom can listen to for free, see if she likes them.

[www.meditation24-7.com]

Lorin
Date: May 06, 2019 01:36PM
Thank, I'll pass those along. I believe she actually did take classes with biofeedback in the 80s or 90s... she liked the idea of this thing. Good to know...

I think I will bite as long as it works with an iPad (not an iPhone) and she is running ios11. I think she is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018