advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iso: audio and video interface?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 10, 2019 10:47AM
I've been looking for an audio interface for a while and I've not settled on anything. This is mainly to record music into the Mac, drums, guitar, etc. But the thought occurred to me that, perhaps, I could also get one with video inputs. Is this possible? I'm looking to import some older tapes, and this would be convenient if such an animal exists.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iso: audio and video interface?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 10, 2019 11:43AM
I think the problem you'll run into is that anything with video will only have a couple of RCA inputs for audio unless you want to spend big bucks. Whereas if you go audio only, you can get a decent interface with multiple inputs and options for balanced inputs (i.e. XLR) for a reasonable price.

If video is secondary, and it sounds like you're just capturing VHS quality tapes, you'd probably be better off with a separate audio interface and then a cheap USB video capture device.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: May 10, 2019 12:53PM
You need separate interfaces.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 10, 2019 01:28PM
Technically yes, in fact video capture is almost always done simultaneously with audio as pretty much all video codecs support a least two audio channels which are encoded even if there is no signal present. But are you recording multi-track on the mac in real-time? If so the problem I think you are going to have is that you can't really record video in any of the multitrack editors, as far as I know.

Most people who need to produce content like this will record the video separately and then sync it up with the audio later.

If you really want video of what you are doing with the audio too I would probably say just point a webcam and use quicktime to record it. That will give you some audio to use to help sync up the video with your multitrack mixdown later on.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 10, 2019 04:39PM
depending on your budget.
Focusrite - alot of bang for the buck. My 1st choice for what you are looking to do.
UA - alot of buck and a lot of bang - more pro-ish
RME - alot of buck and a lot of bang - more pro-ish
Avid/digidesign
MotU
They are often found on craigs and ebay used for friendly prices.

For video, USB as mentioned above or a used Canopus ADVC box.
Canopus can "fix" most copy protected tapes in-bound.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 10, 2019 09:13PM
Ok, got it. thanks, folks
Posted by: August West
Date: May 11, 2019 09:02PM
Regarding the audio, consider how many inputs you need, phantom power and/or clean gain for your mics, and the connection to your computer. With the advent of the USB-C ports on MBP, I will probably go through Thunderbolt in the future, I've been using USB up until now. Keep the option in mind of tracking through a mixer into an interface, if more suitable.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018