advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hey iMac owners! What are you planning to do for your NEXT computer?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 10, 2019 07:36PM
Well?

Are you THROUGH with Apple?

Gonna get a mini and a nice monitor?

Gonna get another imac?

Whatcha gonna do?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hey iMac owners! What are you planning to do for your NEXT computer?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 10, 2019 07:41PM
I've had every model iMac ever produced up until the dropped the Optical drive. Since then I've been on MacBook Pros. I don't find myself sitting in front of a computer anymore in the same spot. When I want a big screen I plug the MBP into a 4K TV and use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 10, 2019 07:58PM
Used MBP.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 10, 2019 08:04PM
NeXT
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 10, 2019 08:08PM
space-time
NeXT

smiley-laughing001

Grateful11
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 10, 2019 08:16PM
Another iMac. And it will be at least 2 years old. So in 2021 I might get a 2019.

Although, honestly that seems years away. Currently on a 27" 2014 iMac 3.5 i5, Fusion, 32 GB ram -- running full Adobe CC. Doing magazine design across the country. Aprox 500 pages every 2 months.

My 27" 2010 iMac 2.93 i7, SSD, 32 GB ram -- didnt feel much (if any?) slower

2014 bonuses are 5K retina screen, 2 GB vram and USB 3.

Newer iMacs dont offer more. I cant imaging anything I do all day taking significant leaps. I cant imagine any "normal" person needing more?

IF I WERE TO EVER BUY NEW...

Mini + "nice monitor" wont do. No GPU. Costs more. mini (with 8 GB ram and 512 GB storage) is $1500. LG 5K screen is $1000. $2500 total. And PITA DIY ram. +$200 for 32 GB. 3.2 8th Gen CPU.

Similar 27" iMac is $2400. But has 8 GB GPU, 3.7 9th gen CPU, and adding same 32 GB of ram jumps it to 40 GB.

For the life of me, I cant figure out why any normal person would need a macpro.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 09:25PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 10, 2019 08:17PM
Work keeps me in MacBook Pros. I have a late-2009 27" i7 iMac that bogs down once in a while but I'm not going to replace it. Someday my son will need a computer.

So its going to be a while.

Posted by: clay
Date: May 10, 2019 08:21PM
the new mini looks pretty good. But I worry that it might not have quite enough horsepower for some of the things I do. I'm interested in whatever form the Mac Pro takes, but I'm assuming we're looking at a minimum $4k price tag, so that's out of the picture.

I keep getting tempted by a hackintosh, but I had experience with that a few years back and am unlikely to explore that route again unless it's for a secondary machine.

My 2017 iMac is under warranty until 2021, so I've still go at least another couple of years to decide what I'm going to do. Probably will hang onto this one for a while, unless my needs change significantly or a sweet deal comes along.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 10, 2019 08:52PM
Instead of buying one big machine, we're constantly buying little machines - iphones, 'smart' devices, etc.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 10, 2019 09:07PM
I might consider the ARM based Mac mini Pro.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 10, 2019 09:14PM
Well:

No

Yes, definitely, depending on what ships.

Possibly, probably, as above.

See above.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 10, 2019 09:28PM
Far too often, Apple hardware AND software no longer "just works". sad smiley

I started researching BIG SCREEN (17" or bigger) Linux based laptops. I WANT the "legacy ports", DVD superdrive etc. If Apple won't build a computer I WANT to buy, I'll vote with my wallet and buy elsewhere. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 10, 2019 09:33PM

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: May 10, 2019 09:37PM
testcase

Says you. Ive got 2 2012 MBPs, a 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2014 iMac, 3 iPads, 4 iPhones, and 3 AWs that disagree with you.

testcase
I WANT the "legacy ports", DVD superdrive etc.

Barbaric! old fogey smiley is the correct emoji ;)

----

Posted by: hal
Date: May 10, 2019 09:38PM
testcase

I started researching BIG SCREEN (17" or bigger) Linux based laptops. I WANT the "legacy ports", DVD superdrive etc. If Apple won't build a computer I WANT to buy, I'll vote with my wallet and buy elsewhere. angry villagers smiley

brave man... not easy leaving the comfy surroundings of the mac environment. I've had similar thoughts, but only in passing. I can't see myself actually doing it. But then, I'd be ok without all of the legacy stuff.
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: May 10, 2019 10:22PM
Hackintoshes. I just finished my second build. And they will be kept on Sierra. When Sierra is no longer viable (when current browsers drop support), I'll move to Linux.

I've been with Apple since 1982 (Apple ][+), but I just don't like the direction they've taken with their hardware and OS in the last few years.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: May 11, 2019 05:21AM
Typing this on my Lenovo-I7, 16 GB Ram, 512 SSD, Touch Screen and it was around $800.

All of my work is with office (a copy of 2007 I bought for about $20) and on the web, so all I need is a browser.

I've had it with anemic specs, high prices, and next to impossible to repair myself hardware. Life's too short.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 11, 2019 08:16AM
Hal,

No. Dollar for dollar, the best bang for the buck on a Mac is an imac. It annoys me to no end because big honkin' all-in-one machines are a _huge_ nuisance when things go kablooey and/or you need to bring it in for service of some kind. As a result, all of my future purchases will be a laptop be it a Macbook Air or flavor of Macbook Pro.

If I'm going to buy an all-in-one, I'd rather have something that is a bit more versatile and easier to transport. A Macbook Air or Pro can be used as a laptop, a desktop and, if it needs service, disconnect a couple of cables and bring it to the store. Done.

I've been using a laptop as a desktop machine at home for years now and it's worked out nicely. The only reason I haven't done the same at my office is due to price. at the time, the best deal I could find on a machine was a 2014 iMac. If I'd found a MBP of similar caliber at the time, I'd have a Macbook Pro as my desktop there, too.

Robert
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 11, 2019 08:42AM
Don't know yet. I have a 2015 iMac 27" in at my winter place and just bought a 2019 mini 8,1 for the summer place. That should keep me in the latest OS for the next 5-6 years. We will see what state of mind I'm in at 85 y/o.

hal
Well?

Are you THROUGH with Apple?

Gonna get a mini and a nice monitor?

Gonna get another imac?

Whatcha gonna do?

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: May 11, 2019 08:59AM
I used various iMacs for years, but switched when the memory on the smaller version became soldered instead of upgradeable. I use a 2012 quad i7 Mac mini now. It’s been on the desk for nearly five years. It’s fast enough. I’ll buy one of the new minis when this one decides to go to computer heaven.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 11, 2019 09:34AM
out of curiosity i looked at what a new iMac for my needs and whims would cost. the 21.5 4K retina refurb is around $1200. it amazed me that a desktop computer could cost me about as much as the top of the line iphone or only twice as much as what i would spend on a smartwatch.

wild how the world has changed.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 11, 2019 12:01PM
I went Hackintosh in 2005 and never looked back. Only Apple-brand computers I have are a couple of old Minis for DVR capture and playback.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 11, 2019 12:47PM
I use an iMac as the house server and I am frustrated by the number of attached drives. Five bay drobo, three cases from our sponsor, one other external drive plus two optical drives. I would much rather have a tower to reduce clutter but Apple doesn't currently make one. So my next computer will probably be another iMac.

For my own usage I have a 2013 MBP and I like it very much. I will most likely replace it with a 2015 MBP unless Apple regains its sanity for the MBP like they did for the mini.

I've been thinking quite a bit about linux as the macintosh line seems to be circling the drain slowly. I really don't want to make the change but it's a possibility.
Posted by: Winston
Date: May 11, 2019 12:48PM
Grateful11
space-time
NeXT

smiley-laughing001

Hey iMac owners! What are you planning to do for your NEXT computer?

But I don't HAVE a NeXT computer!

What would a NeXT computer want me to do for it? A nice wipedown to get the dust off? A freshening blowout with canned air? New PRAM battery? Replace that old AA battery in the wireless mouse that's giving it fits?

Or maybe just a nice "Hello, how was sleep last night? Any interesting maintenance tasks run?" each morning?

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 11, 2019 02:33PM
Have had iMacs for the last half dozen machines. Lately I've been buying them used from our sponsor here. I don't need the latest and greatest for what I do.

So, probably another used iMac when the need arises.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: May 11, 2019 04:01PM
davemchine
I use an iMac as the house server and I am frustrated by the number of attached drives. Five bay drobo, three cases from our sponsor, one other external drive plus two optical drives. I would much rather have a tower to reduce clutter but Apple doesn't currently make one.

You are definately the exception to the rule. Even a good size PC tower case wouldnt be able to hold all that stuff...

----

Posted by: gabester
Date: May 11, 2019 11:32PM
Chromebook.

Seriously, with the beta linux environment going mainstream, it's become what Macs used to be. Information appliances that just work. With Android and now Linux apps, almost anything you could want is available.

You might be challenged by external hardware compatibility issues, but for you old-timey Mac users, that's just par for the course, right? AFAIK, that's the only real limitation to the ChromeOS+Linux environment, I'm sure hardware drivers are a no-no. But considering Apple's already doing their best to choke off 3rd party hardware anyway, you're not really losing that much, are you?

As for this "joke":

Grateful11
space-time
NeXT

smiley-laughing001

I actually think it would be INSANELY GREAT if Apple revived the NeXT brand for users who want hardware that doesn't fall into their mainstream. Much like the big car manufacturers have their premium brands and Dell has Alienware, Apple could use a niche hardware label to sell things they don't feel supports their mainstream consumer goals (e.g. limited/secure OS + AppStore + Cloud) but which does support those consumers. I'm envisioning the xMac so many here have longed for - a mid-size tower with slots for video cards or fibre channel or whatever, upgradable components (CPU, RAM), and several drive bays. I'm also envisioning an NeXTPhone with a microSD card...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 278
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018