advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What monthly subscriptions do you have?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 11, 2019 05:18AM
besides traditional utilities (water, gas, electric, sewer, trash).

Video streaming?
Music streaming?
Cloud Storage?
Cable TV?
Internet?
Cell Phone?
Gym?
Software (Photoshop?)

I can't think of more right now but I can the list being double for some people.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What monthly subscriptions do you have?
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 11, 2019 05:30AM
Internet
YoutubeTV
Cell plan for 2 on Google Fi
Ooma phone for the house

Cancelled the local "newspaper" last year after 38 years. I decided that a dozen pages for $15 a month wasn't worthwhile. Now I drop by the Dollar Tree on Sundays and pick up the major metro Sunday paper for $1 after we get off the golf course.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 11, 2019 06:31AM
Cable
Internet
Cell
“Landline”
Local paper (digital)

Dropbox and Evernote billed yearly

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 11, 2019 07:03AM
Netflix
Internet/landline bundle (Comcast, on a 2 year promotion)
The local paper (but only a couple times a week)

No cable, cause I can get 50 channels of crap I don’t care to watch just fine OTA for free

And then, ‘cause I want to be responsible, and I want them to survive (and it’s relatively cheap), online subscriptions to
Consumers Reports
New York Times
Washington Post
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 11, 2019 09:10AM
pdq
And then, ‘cause I want to be responsible, and I want them to survive (and it’s relatively cheap), online subscriptions to
Consumers Reports
New York Times
Washington Post

tip of the hat to you, pdq.

Mine:

Netflix
Backblaze
LA Fitness both me and wife (not bad at $52/month)
ClickFunnels website (too much $$, considering changing)

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: May 11, 2019 09:22AM
since I asked, I think I owe an answer

Netflix ($13)
DirecTV Now ($55, includes HBO and access to HBO Go)
Pandora ($5)
iCloud ($3)
Amazon Music ($8, I should change to yearly plan for $80)
Amazon Prime (paid once a year, but in effect $10/month)
Comcast basic limited cable and Internet (about $88, if I drop the limited cable, internet alone jumps by $10 and I end up with about 75 for internet)
Gym ($180)
Swimming class ($75)
Cell Phones (Xfinity mobile, around $40-50 for 3 phones)
OOMA ($0) (I mention it just to brag)
HOA fee ($290)
IXL.com (I think $80/year, so about $6.66/month)
Various life insurance policies (total $200 I think)
Extended care after school ($256)
Washington Post ($45/year)

I am pretty sure I forgot a couple of things, will come back and edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 09:22AM by space-time.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 11, 2019 10:30AM
As far as news and entertainment goes, I pay for both paper and online newspapers (local, WAPO and NYT). I also contribute to my local PBS and NPR stations. Netflix is bundled with my phone provider.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 10:48AM by Ammo.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 11, 2019 10:45AM
....don't forget the biggest of them all.......marriage [ the old ball & chain ].......and kids.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: May 11, 2019 10:49AM
Internet/TV/Phone Bundle
Cell Plan
Usenet
Medicare

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Date: May 11, 2019 10:52AM
Altered Horizons
Internet/TV/Phone Bundle
Cell Plan
Usenet
Medicare

any numbers for medicare?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 11, 2019 10:59AM
5-person household, so a lot of variety in viewing tastes, so some stuff gets kept for one specific person. But currently:

Internet itself (no cable TV, no bundled phone)
Netflix
Hulu (commercial-free version)
Prime Video
HBOnow (at least for a few more weeks, eh?)
Boomerang ($50 a year for a big catalog of classic animation)

Things like HBOnow come & go. After GoT is done, I'll cancel again and maybe pick up next year after a few other things have been added.

Netflix is on the bubble, though they have some stuff in the works that is keeping me from outright cancelling.

I will definitely sign up for Disney+ once it's available; at $70/year (that's 2 months free given the $7/mo costs) it's a no-brainer for my household.

Prime Video I only keep b'c I'm part of the Amazon Prime shipping thing for so many years. That's on the bubble because those asshats can't seem to make any subtitles work properly on the Prime Video service. CC is either too soon or too late to watch the show, or is the CC for another show/series altogether. They have zero quality control there. e.g., Haven't been able to watch any of S3 of The Expanse b'c the subtitles are running about 10 seconds or more too soon.

I cancelled BritBox b'c there wasn't anything I wanted to watch that I hadn't already seen and the Amazon version of the channel sucks (Amazon's Prime Video has many problems beyond the one I note above). I'll likely sign back up for a few months soon (want to see the new season of Shetland) but will do so through their normal AppleTV channel offering. The problem *there* is that the subtitles are hardwired (i.e., you have to choose either the non-CC or with-CC episode to stream) and they are at something like a non-adjustable 8-point font which is pretty @#$%& tiny on a 65" screen.

AcornTV; also cancelled b'c we had either seen everything we wanted to or b'c BritBox (which is the BBC, I think) came along and pulled back the bulk of their programming. Since then, they've turned to a lot of Canadian, New Zealand, and some Australian programming. I'll sign back up in a few months and try them out again as well to see what's what. There's a new series, Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries, that I'd like to see, as well as the Martin Clunes series, Manhunt.

I *might* (might) pick up CBSnow for a month to see S2 of Star Trek: Discovery b'c I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. There's nothing else on there that I'm interested in, I think, but it's hard to know b'c I don't see a full show list anywhere.

Beyond the TV stuff:

I have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription b'c 99% of my work is via InDesign. The company I work for reimburses me monthly for that.

Zero magazine subscriptions. 20+ years ago, that'd be a very different story. (Macworld, MacUser (ended in 1997 if anyone's looking), MacLife, Smithsonian, Smithsonian Air & Space, Archaeology, etc.)

What I don't bother with is physical newspaper subscriptions (I'm in central AR; draw your own conclusions) or landline telephone. I have an AT&T cell phone family plan that I'm going to move away as soon as I have the time to take care of all the @#$%& that's involved with that process.

I pay through the nose for a health insurance plan (Aetna, the Discover Card of the insurance industry) that's utter @#$%& but what can you do.

My wife and sons have a gym membership at one of those $10/month places. My wife is a karate instructor.

I think that's about it.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 11:06AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 11, 2019 11:34AM
Adding Apple monthly charges for iCloud storage. Pay $4/month for 50GB each for 4.

YoutubeTV, YouTube Premium (music), Hulu, CBS All access, Netflix and internet - still far less monthly cost than our prior cable TV bundle.

4 cell phones on grandfathered AT&T.

Newspaper to try to keep it afloat. Weekend only tho in paper form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 11:35AM by sekker.
Date: May 11, 2019 11:36AM
......woman under a certain age, always have a monthly subscription.....until 'the change' and then they don't......

Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 11, 2019 01:37PM
Netflix and spotify (my wife)
Consumer cellular (2 phones)
Gas and electricity
rent (soon to be replaced by mortgage)
retirement (401k)
NYTimes (mostly for recipes)
Backblaze
Amazon Prime
Daycare
Magazines - outside, bicycling, cooks illustrated

---

For various reasons including a past as a freelancer I'm used to working with money in big lumps rather than per paycheck. Buying a house and having a mortgage forced me to think about my expenses on a monthly basis. I like to dump money into retirement accounts early in the year (adding a year of growth) but this leaves you of being uncertain whether more money is coming in or going out on a monthly basis.

I have a lazy budget outlined. We'll see how close we come to staying within it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 01:38PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 11, 2019 02:27PM
Let's see...

3 cell phones - my iPhone, and my Pop and destitute sister's Jitterbug

1 landline - I could let this one go, but it's tied with my storage business and it's on my sign, bus. cards, and rental agreements

Charter cable - Extended basic, and internet (Waaaay too expensive for what you get)

Netflix streaming - not bad, but I HATE they show commercials of other programs when I binge watch

Amazon Prime - I have it for the free deliveries, and watch the streaming video as a bonus

iCloud storage - I think one tier up from free

Apple Music - Got the 3 month free trial when I bought my 1st HomePod, I liked it so much, I now pay

I can see myself subscribing to Apple's Video package when it comes out. Unless it's INSANELY PRICED!!

Probably others that I'm not remembering right now...

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 11, 2019 03:03PM
If I were to list them, I might get depressed at how much we spend per month on them... smiley-shocked003

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 11, 2019 03:08PM
jdc
If I were to list them, I might get depressed at how much we spend per month on them... smiley-shocked003

I think that's the point, if you sit down with spouse/kids and discuss what is really need, what is wanted, and what is a luxury you can easily go without, you can save some money
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 11, 2019 03:37PM
I hear ya.

At most, i think I we cut out a handful of things... maybe $50? a month. We could prob dump HBO soon. wife has an online video thing thats $10.

Could dump a couple of online magazines -- and replace with Apple News+ -- so 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Its really just impossible to dump man things that we arent actually using...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 11, 2019 03:48PM
.....palimony........

Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 11, 2019 06:22PM
- Comcast internet, without television. IMHO, it's way to expensive for what I get, however, I'm now essentially getting free cell phone service from them. I only pay taxes and regulatory fees. It usually comes to like $1.26 or something per month.

- OOMA, again just taxes and regulatory fees.

- A Netflix 4 out at a time DVD plan
Date: May 11, 2019 06:25PM
.....fruit of the month club......

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 12, 2019 12:14PM
Netflix, Amazon and Audible.
Electricity
Water
Sewage
Garbage
I think my wife has a magazine subscription to Bust Mag.
2 att cell phones
1 freedom pop phone (for international travel)
2 freedom pop WiFi hotspots

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 12, 2019 03:32PM
Bust Mag is not what I thought it would be... that said, anything featuring Ani DiFranco is ok in my book.

Anyway,
Netflix and Apple Music.
Phone, cable, internet access.

• back to confinement

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2019 04:01PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 13, 2019 10:01AM
My subs have stacked up. Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Hulu, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access.

Showtime is a short timer; VEEP, Barry and Succession are their only must haves. I like the Amazon Prime package overall, so they’ll hang around. That might mean Hulu getting the chop (Although I just remembered I’m getting that as a part of a $9.99 bundle with Spotify). Netflix has a lot I watch, and CBS will last during Star Trek and Twilight Zone seasons.

Best guess, Showtime, Hulu/Spotify and CBS are on the way out.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 13, 2019 11:32AM
Uverse internet
TMobile for iPhone
Landline (yes, it's the 1940s again)
Netflix DVD/BDs, not streaming
Amazon Prime
NYTimes digital
3-4 mags (Economist [$$$!!!], Sky & Telecope, Consumer Reports, maybe another?)

No streaming media other than Amz, which I usually forget does streaming. I think The Economist costs more than everything else except Uverse. That cost is in proportion to its utility which is why I pay it.
Date: May 13, 2019 11:52AM
....just life.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018