advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tell me what to do in michigan's upper peninsula
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 11, 2019 12:35PM
fun fact - the NEXUS program is designed to ease entry into Canada BUT it includes TSA Precheck, global entry, costs only $50 (Canadian) and minors are free. The catch - you must go in for an interview at a location near the northern border.

My family of four (kids are 3 1/2 and 1/2) will be taking a road trip from Madison, WI, to the nearest interview location, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Its a 7 hour drive largely through rural expanse. It would be nice to find a couple of places to eat or even stay along the way.

Any advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tell me what to do in michigan's upper peninsula
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 11, 2019 12:51PM
I don’t know anything about what that’s about, but will add that my folks really liked visiting Mackinac Island. Which I think qualifies as upper peninsula.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 11, 2019 01:28PM
Buy some bug spray, preferably with DEET as the active ingredient.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 11, 2019 01:38PM
freeradical

even in june?

Posted by: Winston
Date: May 11, 2019 01:58PM
- Pictured Rocks
[www.nps.gov]
[www.picturedrocks.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

- Waterfalls
[www.onlyinyourstate.com]
[www.michigan.org]

- Do the locks tour in Sault Ste Marie.
[www.soolocks.com]

other Sault Ste. Marie ideas:
[www.saultstemarie.com]

One thing to watch out for if you cellphone plan doesn't include roaming in Canada: When we were in Sault Ste. Marie a few years ago our phones kept finding Canadian carriers, even though we were on the U.S. side. We had to call our carrier to avoid international roaming charges.

- Mackinac Island is wonderful. Located between the upper and lower peninsulas. Ferries from both sides. No cars on the island, so you'd leave your car at the ferry terminal. Center of the island is a state park. Bikes available for rental. Easy flat paved road which circles the island. Area of the ferry landings is very commercial, with lots of t-shirt shops and fudge shops, but this drops away quickly if you get away from it. Lots of of huge old summer "cottages". The Grand Hotel is magnificent, but be aware that they charge a fee ($20 or $25/person) for people who are not staying there to visit. There are a number of smaller hotels and a few guest houses on the island.

[www.grandhotel.com]
[www.mackinacisland.org]

Return via the Lower Peninsula
- visit Great Sleeping Bear Dunes
[www.sleepingbeardunes.com]
[www.nps.gov]

(the drive from the U.P. to to Great Sleeping Bear Dunes could include the vacation spots of Harbor Springs/Wequetonsing/Bay View/Petosky/Charlevoix)
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

(if more time, go up the Leelanau Peninsula)
[en.wikipedia.org]

- cross Lake Michigan on the SS Badger, Ludington to Manitowoc
[www.ssbadger.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 02:49PM by Winston.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 11, 2019 02:13PM
Winston pretty much covered it. I might add that if in the area, Marquette is a very nice destination, with a HUGE park on the north side along the coast with kick ass views.

I would also recommend the Keweenaw Peninsula if you have time. Houghton-Hancock is nice with tons of sights in the peninsula.

Also, if you like lighthouses, there are bunches of them in the U.P.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 11, 2019 04:38PM
mattkime
freeradical

even in june?

yes!!

The bugs in june up that way are fresh and vigorous..not only mosquitos..ticks, flies...
Posted by: STL
Date: May 11, 2019 04:40PM
Loved the locks in Sault Ste. Marie
Do it.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: May 11, 2019 05:06PM
Enjoy the scenery along the way, US 2 is a pleasant drive. Get out, walk on the beach, and see the sunset.

Not a lot of fine dining comes to mind-Swedish Pantry or Andy's in Escanaba. If you spend the night in St. Ignace there are a lot of Mom and Pop places to eat at, antique shops, and of course, that's where you catch the ferry to Mackinac.

Oh yeah-the fudge is good, but the home made ice cream in Mackinac or at the top of the Lower Peninsula is to die for.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 11, 2019 05:52PM
The kids will have it tough. Not much in the UP other than waterfalls, the Soo Locks and Mackinaw Island. For you adults, the Keweenaw Peninsula and Copper Harbor might be interesting. There will be some lighthouses on Lake Superior shore that might entertain the kids. Cell phone coverage iffy at best in most areas.

mattkime
fun fact - the NEXUS program is designed to ease entry into Canada BUT it includes TSA Precheck, global entry, costs only $50 (Canadian) and minors are free. The catch - you must go in for an interview at a location near the northern border.

My family of four (kids are 3 1/2 and 1/2) will be taking a road trip from Madison, WI, to the nearest interview location, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Its a 7 hour drive largely through rural expanse. It would be nice to find a couple of places to eat or even stay along the way.

Any advice?

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 11, 2019 06:01PM
modelamac
The kids will have it tough. Not much in the UP other than waterfalls, the Soo Locks and Mackinaw Island. For you adults, the Keweenaw Peninsula and Copper Harbor might be interesting. There will be some lighthouses on Lake Superior shore that might entertain the kids. Cell phone coverage iffy at best in most areas.

mattkime

Any advice?

LOL...true this.

Just buy the kids a good bottle of booze for the backseat and they'll get through it
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 11, 2019 06:57PM
Kraniac
modelamac

mattkime

Any advice?

LOL...true this.

Just buy the kids a good bottle of booze for the backseat and they'll get through it

When we were kids, we were just happy to be riding and going somewhere. We never wanted it to end.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 11, 2019 07:21PM
Visit Canada. Or visit the us in Canada.

[youtu.be]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Winston
Date: May 11, 2019 08:04PM
modelamac

We drove kids of all ages to and from Michigan from Atlanta (16 hours driving over two days) for decades.

The kids are 3 1/2 and six months? All the older one needs is a place to run, splash, or play in the dirt, and making sure that meals, snacks, and naps come at appropriate times. A six month old isn't mobile: observing anything that changes works well, whether it be by car, stroller, backpack, or dreaming (babies sleep a lot). Waterfalls or boat trips will be fascinating to both. Just make sure to make some regular stops for 3 1/2 year-old run-around time. That can work just playing chase at a roadside park.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 12, 2019 08:05PM
Yeah, at that age we used to joke that the dog runs one sees at the rest stop should do double duty as kids runs. They need to stretch and run, much like the adults with cramping legs.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 13, 2019 12:12PM
.....the Grand Hotel on M**** is allegedly haunted......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 13, 2019 12:13PM
....and......don't go chasing waterfalls......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 15, 2019 08:40PM
freeradical

pure DEET works best. Just don't touch plastics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018