advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of mowers.... I’m three for three now
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 11, 2019 07:28PM
Three years ago I bought the cheapest craftsman mower and weed whipper that I could find. Ran them with ethanol gas and left the tanks wherever they were and stored them in the shed each winter. No maintenance or treatments. Three years in a row and both have started up right away each spring. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of mowers.... I’m three for three now
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 11, 2019 07:41PM
You're a horrible human being for growing grass. Let the weeds grow and the druggies shoot up in your yard.

At least that's what people in this city would tell you.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 11, 2019 08:11PM
Did the retailer ever mention what happens in the fourth year? peace

(pretend I said nothing)
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: May 11, 2019 09:08PM
It must have a three year warranty! Lol
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 11, 2019 09:35PM
I have a stash of 15 or so old ovens all set to 450 and blazing away in the balsa shed where i keep my dynamite. I could stop this but it's been a pretty good set up so far.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: May 11, 2019 09:35PM
I've never run a stabilizer in any of mowers, trimmers, snowblowers or chainsaws and have never had an issue, ethanol in all of them.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 11, 2019 11:07PM
Moved to all-electric this year. Love not having to count on luck that they still run next season.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 11, 2019 11:36PM
My mower was left for dead with old gas. No use for at least five years while I lived in a rental with included lawn service. It didnt start so I took the carburetor apart and found crystallized gasoline in the bowl below the carb. I also left the gas shutoff valve open. I emptied the tank of nasty gas, changed the oil, cleaned the carb and its been running since my lawn guy decided to charge me more than he should for cutting grass that my 16 year old does now for food and shelter.smiley-laughing001
Lawn mowers are simple machines and they can run for a long time. Some even if improperly cared for. I still need to sharpen my blade though. I use an additive for the gas now. Starts after second pull, sometimes on the first pull. Its a craftsman with a Honda motor.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 12, 2019 05:05AM
I've always just bought the cheapest Craftsman or whatever Walmart sells and run them till they die. Never changed the oil nor a spark plug nor anything and I use whatever gas I'm putting in our cars. If/when they get hard to start I give them to our local Salvation Army who sells them to a guy who actually lives about a mile from me. He fixes and then sells them. I've owned 4 mowers in the last 30 years so I get my money's worth out of them. But, this last time I bought a Honda at Home Depot for what, $350?, last year. The downside of spending twice as much as I normally do is that now I'll actually have to take care of it. Or not...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 12, 2019 09:46AM
My experience with regular gas is that I could never leave the mower for more than a couple weeks before it would get hard to start. More than once I had to give it to a former neighbor who's a small engine mechanic. He'd remove the carb and dunk it what they called "the dip." He never said what it was except to say that if they ever ran out, the EPA might not let them buy more ...

I later learned that removing and dissembling an older Honda carb is easy and quick to do. After I cleaned it up I switched to non-ethanol and it always starts.

That being said, I murdered my first Honda by unknowingly running it low on oil (don't screw the dipstick in when checking the level on any Honda.) And I totally fudged my latest one when reinstalling the carb. I had a gasket backwards and didn't notice some bent parts from the previous owner. $115 in labor to fix, but it's about an $800 mower if new.

A good running Honda with the hydrostatic trans is anywhere from $750-up new, but used they can be found for $250 or less. Properly taken care of with minimal effort they will outlast you. Any generation is good no matter how old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2019 09:47AM by deckeda.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 12, 2019 12:07PM
I have a Greenworks 21" battery mower that cost me $200 (I already had the batteries from a prior Greenworks mower). It works as well as any gas powered mower I've ever had, and I don't miss the gasoline smell in the garage. This is the seventh year to use the batteries, which perform as well as the day I got them. Just as well, since a two-pack of them costs almost as much as the mower.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 12, 2019 12:12PM
I treat with Seafoam, otherwise my small engine stuff would never start. That includes the motorcycle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018