advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to get video to a TV that only has analog RF coax input?
Posted by: Winston
Date: May 12, 2019 08:44PM
We have a commercial treadmill we got used. It has a 15" LCD that can be used as a TV. The input is a coax cable with a tuner that I think only handles analog RF channels.

The TV also has a 30 PIN iPod/iPhone connector, with the ability to handle "iPod video".

Sadly, no HDMI.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to connect an iPhone to it and play any video that the iPhone can do, including things like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
Anyone know of a way to do this? Guessing that the content controls in HDMI will severely limit what we can do.

We do not have cable TV, but do have a rooftop antenna, and could also connect a digital to analog TV tuner to it.

The LCD also has an ethernet input, but I'm not sure what that enables. Found some references to it handling "IPTV". Trying to find out more.

Thanks.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to get video to a TV that only has analog RF coax input?
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 12, 2019 08:58PM
Quick read on the lightning to 30 pin adapter. No video support.
Other options are to replace the LCD to a more modern one that takes HDMI.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 12, 2019 09:10PM
duct tape and a cheap android tablet. done.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 12, 2019 09:12PM
....or an older iPad (or used older iPad)......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 12, 2019 09:17PM
Hacking involved: The HP L1530 with DVI is a possible donor screen replacement.
Fastest / easiest option is a used tablet.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 12, 2019 09:22PM
Easy enough to find a digital TV tuner with analog output on Amazon.

Alternatively, can get an HDMI to analog converter box with coax output.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 12, 2019 09:28PM
Cheapest way? Find an old VCR with RF in/out and RCA In/Out. Connect the RF from the VHS to TV, set the input on the VHS to RCA or Aux, and connect your input that way. You'll still need something to go to the RCA in on the VHS. Most satellite/cable tuners have that. The VCR is only a bridge.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 12, 2019 09:37PM
Racer X

probably the best and most elegant solutions. Spending money on some adapter is a waste of time. get a cheap kindle. it will probably have better support than some mingxhuawei cheap tablet (just a brand name made up, but I would not be surprised it it was a real brand, LOL)
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 13, 2019 01:14AM
Winston, PM me as I have a 19" Sharp in box that I used in the kitchen and at least one LG that I will check out in the morning. Very clean and working. Spec's when you ask. Wife says get rid of them. I have replaced them with larger units.
Date: May 13, 2019 12:19PM
Carm
Quick read on the lightning to 30 pin adapter. No video support.
Other options are to replace the LCD to a more modern one that takes HDMI.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The treadmill has a 15" touch screen LCD which controls most of its functions. The manufacturer calls it the "console". The console is essentially a lightweight Windows computer (was there a Windows CE?). The inside looks like a computer motherboard, with various sub-boards like the TV tuner and ethernet connection.

We've tried an Apple Lightning to 30 pin cable. Audio works. The treadmill's touch screen display has iPod support, but the standards are old enough that the touch-screen iPod controls don't work. Video does not work.

I've got an email in to the treadmill's manufacturer to see if there are any upgrades available.
However, I'm guessing that there will not be upgrades available. It's also not likely that there is a newer console available, for both physical mounting reasons, and because the console interacts with separate electronics in the treadmill's base.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: May 13, 2019 12:22PM
Sarcany
Easy enough to find a digital TV tuner with analog output on Amazon.

Alternatively, can get an HDMI to analog converter box with coax output.

Thanks. My first thought as well. (Well, second thought - iPhone was first.) We have an OTA antenna wired to cable jacks around the house, and already have three older TVs running from digital TV tuners. Pretty sure that will work.

I looked at HDMI to analog converters, but my son notes that it's likely none of them support protected content from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

I've been asking around to see if there are any boxes which combine a digital TV tuner and an HDMI input for output to analog RF coax, but so far haven't gotten a definitive answer. It appears likely not. The digital TV tuners which have HDMI use it for output, not input.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: May 13, 2019 12:26PM
space-time
Racer X

probably the best and most elegant solutions. Spending money on some adapter is a waste of time. get a cheap kindle. it will probably have better support than some mingxhuawei cheap tablet (just a brand name made up, but I would not be surprised it it was a real brand, LOL)

Would block the touch-screen LCD which controls the treadmill.

There is a sort of book stand below the LCD, so we could use a tablet. However, with a variety of people in the family using the treadmill, it would be easier if we could let each person use their own iPhone with the existing LCD.

- W

ps: I also note that the touchscreen on the console is quite robust, and designed to work when someone is hot and sweaty. A tablet likely would not be as user friendly on the treadmill.

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 12:38PM by Winston.
Date: May 13, 2019 12:31PM
Rolando
Cheapest way? Find an old VCR with RF in/out and RCA In/Out. Connect the RF from the VHS to TV, set the input on the VHS to RCA or Aux, and connect your input that way. You'll still need something to go to the RCA in on the VHS. Most satellite/cable tuners have that. The VCR is only a bridge.

We don't have cable or satellite TV. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube TV. All of these are available via an HDMI connection from a variety of devices, but the LCD doesn't have an HCMI input. I'm pretty sure any VCR with HDMI input would be subject to the content-control aspects of HDMI, and would not forward the signal to analog TV, even if it had the ability to convert digital to analog.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: May 13, 2019 12:36PM
artie67
Winston, PM me as I have a 19" Sharp in box that I used in the kitchen and at least one LG that I will check out in the morning. Very clean and working. Spec's when you ask. Wife says get rid of them. I have replaced them with larger units.

Thanks. That might work. Let me think about it. The basement room the treadmill is in got wet, and is currently in disarray. (We had to pull up the flooring, and nothings in the right place.) The treadmill faces closer to the wall than it normally does. I'm sure I could rig up a mount for a 19" LCD TV on the treadmill itself, if putting it on the wall puts it too far away.

Also, we have an elliptical and a stationary bike in the same room. If I decide to go for a TV in the room, I might want to rig something up that all three could use. (This has not been practical in the past as the three machines didn't face in the same direction.)

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 13, 2019 01:34PM
If you are really wanting to stream, then...this has RCA out-->VCR-->RF out
[www.roku.com]

But otherwise, I'd just tape a cheap tablet to the contraption!

Winston
Rolando

We don't have cable or satellite TV. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube TV. All of these are available via an HDMI connection from a variety of devices, but the LCD doesn't have an HCMI input. I'm pretty sure any VCR with HDMI input would be subject to the content-control aspects of HDMI, and would not forward the signal to analog TV, even if it had the ability to convert digital to analog.

- W

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: May 13, 2019 02:45PM
Rolando
If you are really wanting to stream, then...this has RCA out-->VCR-->RF out
[www.roku.com]

But otherwise, I'd just tape a cheap tablet to the contraption!

Will take a look at the Roku. Thanks!

Can't tape a tablet to it, as it would block the touchscreen (which controls the treadmill). But maybe could use velcro so it could be moved. Still, something of a hassle to move the tablet, while running, to adjust the controls. Probably would be better to set up a TV.

Thanks.

- W

ps: Turns out my son has an older Roku box which has A/V out. I might also have an RF Modulator (A/V to RF) somewhere, if not, they are about $13 on Amazon.

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 03:03PM by Winston.
Date: May 13, 2019 10:41PM
yes, there was a windows ce. their embedded os basically. It figured into one of the James Bond movies Goldeneye actually. mid '90s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 12:13AM by Racer X.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 14, 2019 06:26AM
.....so no more coax.....of many colors.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 14, 2019 07:25PM
NewtonMP2100
.....so no more coax.....of many colors.....??

Check with Joseph, he usually has some.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018