advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Setting up a new remote (Spectrumcable)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 13, 2019 02:03PM
I schlepped over to Spectrum this morning to swap my wounded remote for a functioning one. To my surprise, I had to do something with it that I haven’t had to do before. The new remote would not interact with the cable box, although I was able easily set it up to turn the TV on and off. There was no info in the setup sheet about how to get it to see the cable box, of course. After I stopped swearing at the remote, the box, and Spectrum, I rebooted the box, which changed nothing. Fortunately, I found more info on Spectrum’s site, which included codes for the various cable boxes they use. I entered a code and finally got the remote and the box to communicate. But I have never had to do that before, in 20 years of having cable. The other remotes “just worked” with the cable boxes, without needing to be set up to see them. Is this the new normal?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:04PM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Setting up a new remote (Spectrumcable)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 13, 2019 02:05PM
....perhaps that means it was a completely new remote......they tend to reuse them don't they (after testing them).....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 13, 2019 02:58PM
Maybe. But it’s hard to believe that it is the only new remote in a 20-year stretch. And you would think they’d all be reset to default before being given out. Default ought to be that it can work with a cable box. However, they may be using more box models than they used to.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 13, 2019 04:02PM
Most times the remote and box are bundled together, so they are already coded to each other. When you just gave back a remote, you were likely given an uncoded one since I doubt they keep a stack of remotes in the customer service area programmed for each cable box version. The service rep slipped up by not telling you it would need to be programmed and how to do so.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 13, 2019 05:25PM
Ombligo
Most times the remote and box are bundled together, so they are already coded to each other. When you just gave back a remote, you were likely given an uncoded one since I doubt they keep a stack of remotes in the customer service area programmed for each cable box version. The service rep slipped up by not telling you it would need to be programmed and how to do so.

At least around here, all of Spectrum's boxes work w/ their same generic remotes. Unless kj's box is ancient, I woulda also thought, as noted, that a new remote would just work, and only need to be paired w/ its TV. Just swapped a worn out remote (w/ TWC logo on it) a couple of weeks ago, and it works fine w/ three of their boxes, all of which are different vintages, form factors, and feature sets. IOW, nothing to add except confirmation of original postulate.
==
Date: May 13, 2019 07:03PM
The woman at Spectrum just pulled open a drawer of remotes and told me to pick one. The one I picked is a different model remote from the one I turned in, although it’s a model that they have used for years; I have seen and used them at clients’ homes. I’ve had several different cable boxes and remotes over the years. Nothing tricky until today.

Posted by: Don C
Date: May 13, 2019 08:39PM
Glad that ultimately it was a simple solution (admittedly not as simple as you wanted!)
Date: May 13, 2019 10:25PM
Don C
Glad that ultimately it was a simple solution (admittedly not as simple as you wanted!)

The remote comes with printed instructions, and they contained no info at all on cable box codes or any mention that you might need to set that up. That info should be included.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020