Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another tough day to own AAPL
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 13, 2019 05:55PM
‘nough said.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another tough day to own AAPL
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 13, 2019 06:09PM
Better off than where you were 6 months ago...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 13, 2019 06:09PM
Not just Apple.

Dow Staggers Toward 650 Point Collapse After ‘Trump Dump’...

[www.ccn.com]

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 13, 2019 06:11PM
Also, AAPL generally goes up and down at a higher rate than the overall market in addition to today's Supreme Court news.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 13, 2019 06:12PM
jdc
Better off than where you were 6 months ago...

Exactly 6 months ago on Nov 13, 2018, AAPL closed at $192.23, which was $6.51 higher than it closed today.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 13, 2019 06:20PM
....it was doing very well......until someone poked at the market with tariffs.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 13, 2019 06:27PM
I surely hope Apple is digging deep in it's pockets and is taking advantage with buying back huge bunches of stock during this latest fiasco.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: DP
Date: May 13, 2019 06:28PM
Nobody panic! It'll settle out.

But we are in such debt to China because of the huge disparity in tariffs between us and the PRC. Walmart, et al., got rich because of the low tariffs charged on Chinese products. Now, we are in such hock to China that if they called in their markers tomorrow we'd be in REAL trouble... Not to mention that they also reneged on the previous deal.

That's the main reason I read labels and don't buy anything from the PRC-unless, of course, I absolutely have to.

This action should've been taken eons ago.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 13, 2019 06:36PM
DP
That's the main reason I read labels and don't buy anything from the PRC-unless, of course, I absolutely have to.

This action should've been taken eons ago.

No lightbulbs in the house? ;)

Sure. But the way its being "presented" to the people by the people taking the action is just... off putting and hostile. Sounds like they want to make the art of business... but instead are making "art" or war.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 13, 2019 06:36PM
DP
But we are in such debt to China because of the huge disparity in tariffs between us and the PRC. Walmart, et al., got rich because of the low tariffs charged on Chinese products. Now, we are in such hock to China that if they called in their markers tomorrow we'd be in REAL trouble...

This makes so little sense it is hard to know where to begin.
Posted by: STL
Date: May 13, 2019 07:59PM
This plummet is entirely due to Trump and his complete lack of understanding of trade.
We, the American consumer, will pay the tariffs despite what is lied from the oval office.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 13, 2019 08:11PM
IronMac
DP
But we are in such debt to China because of the huge disparity in tariffs between us and the PRC. Walmart, et al., got rich because of the low tariffs charged on Chinese products. Now, we are in such hock to China that if they called in their markers tomorrow we'd be in REAL trouble...

Seconded. Wrong in several ways, but I will resist since I don't want to be the one to get in flipped to the other side.
Date: May 13, 2019 08:22PM
STL
This plummet is entirely due to Trump and his complete lack of understanding of trade.
We, the American consumer, will pay the tariffs despite what is lied from the oval office.

Tariffs = import tax.
Date: May 13, 2019 08:25PM
pdq
IronMac
DP

Seconded. Wrong in several ways, but I will resist since I don't want to be the one to get in flipped to the other side.

It has nothing to do with politics but with business, economics, and financial markets. The latter three are just tangled up in there.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 13, 2019 08:32PM
IronMac
pdq
IronMac
DP

It has nothing to do with politics but with business, economics, and financial markets. The latter three are just tangled up in there.

Indeed. But I knew how difficult it would be to un-tangle politics from it.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 13, 2019 08:47PM
DP
...I read labels and don't buy anything from the PRC...

Good for you, I wish more people would look at the bigger picture than just price.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 13, 2019 09:01PM
Considering what I paid, I am still way ahead on my Apple stock. Just hope it doesn’t take a really disastrous plunge.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 13, 2019 09:09PM
IronMac
DP

Agreed. Each sentence is a mess of misunderstood concepts.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 14, 2019 06:06AM
deckeda
IronMac
DP

Maybe you all should go back to Econ 101... They produce cheap stuff that America buys for next to nothing, then we pay a low tax, called a tariff, then we sell the stuff at a big profit. Basic capitalism; buy cheap and sell dear, right?

Then we sell stuff to them, but pay a far bigger tariff, which makes the price to buy our stuff in China much more expensive. Hence, what they buy is not even close to balance out what they sell to us, so we are in debt to them by, what-$500 billion? And much of that is the big disparity in tariffs.

What's so hard to understand?

Edit: OK, let me be clear here. When I wrote "markers", I was just thinking of the trade gap, not other indebtedness like the value of, say, Treasuries that China holds. So, my mistake...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 06:16AM by DP.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 14, 2019 09:46AM
....recovering a bit today.....as is the overall market......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 14, 2019 12:00PM
DP
deckeda
IronMac
DP

Maybe you all should go back to Econ 101... They produce cheap stuff that America buys for next to nothing, then we pay a low tax, called a tariff, then we sell the stuff at a big profit. Basic capitalism; buy cheap and sell dear, right?

Then we sell stuff to them, but pay a far bigger tariff, which makes the price to buy our stuff in China much more expensive. Hence, what they buy is not even close to balance out what they sell to us, so we are in debt to them by, what-$500 billion? And much of that is the big disparity in tariffs.

Edit: OK, let me be clear here. When I wrote "markers", I was just thinking of the trade gap, not other indebtedness like the value of, say, Treasuries that China holds. So, my mistake...

OK I'll play along. My Bachelors in Economics is failing me here. So in your example, the U.S. buys raw material (or products, even) cheaply and pays for the privilege of selling it back in enhanced (produced) form, and the tariffs imposed on us outweigh our large profits. Is that it?
Date: May 14, 2019 06:33PM
DP
deckeda
IronMac
DP

With all due respect, the school where you learned that needs to be burned down and your teacher dragged off to a unspeakable fate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 337
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018