advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need a new iphone
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 13, 2019 09:21PM
I have an iPhone 7, 128gb. It’s starting to randomly reboot and lose its cellular connectivity. It’s time to replace it I think. What is the general consensus on the price v features with iPhones? Does anyone have any good deals they can share?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need a new iphone
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 13, 2019 09:28PM
Get one with wireless charging.

I think the XR is the sweet spot right now if you can handle no home button.

(color choice is up to you).
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 13, 2019 09:30PM
agree smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 13, 2019 09:49PM
Markintosh
agree smiley

agree smiley too
==
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 13, 2019 09:57PM
Take to Apple store, they might replace the logic board. If they grant you a repair, turn in for $250 credit towards XS,XS Max or XR

Check when it was first sold. IMEI or Serial number on Apple site. Apple says 3 years warranty from first retail sale.
[www.apple.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 10:16PM by Carm.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 13, 2019 11:06PM
Carm
Take to Apple store, they might replace the logic board. If they grant you a repair, turn in for $250 credit towards XS,XS Max or XR

Check when it was first sold. IMEI or Serial number on Apple site. Apple says 3 years warranty from first retail sale.
[www.apple.com]

All of this.

really no reason an iphone 7 should be acting like that... could be battery bulge, or lint in your ports... might need a good clean out.

Unless of course you are really hard on it?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 14, 2019 06:44AM
....as stated above.....try taking to Apple Store and see what they can do....maybe the will fix it for free [ one can hope ]....if not, then you decide what to do from there.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 14, 2019 06:45AM
Sweet! I purchased it as a refurb from Apple just a bit over a year ago. I was really expecting to get at least another year out if it.

Carm
ETake to Apple store, they might replace the logic board. If they grant you a repair, turn in for $250 credit towards XS,XS Max or XR

[www.apple.com]

Date: May 14, 2019 09:44AM
ztirffritz
Sweet! I purchased it as a refurb from Apple just a bit over a year ago. I was really expecting to get at least another year out if it.

Carm
ETake to Apple store, they might replace the logic board. If they grant you a repair, turn in for $250 credit towards XS,XS Max or XR

[www.apple.com]

Only a year old? Then yea, somethings really not right. Millions of peeps are still using a 6 or 6s or SE with no issues -- much older than the 7.

----

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 14, 2019 10:49AM
jdc
ztirffritz

Carm

[www.apple.com]

Only a year old? Then yea, somethings really not right. Millions of peeps are still using a 6 or 6s or SE with no issues -- much older than the 7.

agree smiley with all comments; something's amiss with the hardware.

I'm in a similar situation with my iPhone 7; audio (via lighting port) is no longer working; only via the speakers and bluetooth. It's apparently a known issue that Apple is not acknowledging, so much so that there's a class action suit about it.

Once I get some spare time (HA HA ha ha ha) I'm going to go to the Genius Bar and see what they have to say about it. At best, they may acknowledge the issue and offer a solution/fix or cheap inroad to a new iPhone. At worst, I may opt for a trade-in discount on getting a newer iPhone with wireless charging.

Make it a good day today.
Date: May 14, 2019 11:14AM
Zoidberg
I'm in a similar situation with my iPhone 7; audio (via lighting port) is no longer working; only via the speakers and bluetooth.

You have cleaned the port, right? Like really good. Not just blowing on it.

----

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 14, 2019 12:05PM
jdc
Zoidberg
I'm in a similar situation with my iPhone 7; audio (via lighting port) is no longer working; only via the speakers and bluetooth.

You have cleaned the port, right? Like really good. Not just blowing on it.

Yes; a few times and a few ways -- everything else works; sync'ing, charging. Just not audio from the lightning port. Genius Bar might be able to do a better job and here's hoping that's all it winds up being.

Make it a good day today.
Date: May 14, 2019 12:48PM
If only there was an apple store within 100 miles of me...

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 14, 2019 12:49PM
.....memory palace.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 14, 2019 01:05PM
ztirffritz
If only there was an apple store within 100 miles of me...
Ouch - contact Apple chat through website. They will go through diagnostics with you, tell them about your location in relation to an Apple Store if they determine that it needs service, they might ship you a box to send it to your local Apple store.

Looks like Apple lowered the value of iPhone 7 trade in to $200
[www.macrumors.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 01:57PM by Carm.
Date: May 14, 2019 10:45PM
Best Buy is the nearest apple support center. So my phone is going in tomorrow evening.

Date: May 15, 2019 11:22AM
Whatever they do with their diagnostics, the problem might not show up. I took my original one in and all they did at the Best Buy non genius store was to blow out the SIM card slot and send me on my way. Bad move on their part. Once I backed up my phone and tried a restore, the phone wouldn’t come back to life. This was after the year warranty was up.
Date: May 15, 2019 04:15PM
It currently won't connect to the cellular network at all, so I think I'm OK.

Date: May 15, 2019 08:10PM
Ok, so I’m camped out at the geek squad table as required by apple. They have no certified apple technicians here so they can’t do anything.

Date: May 16, 2019 12:04AM
Well that seems like a waste of time if Apple sent you there. They need to be Apple certified in order to run the diagnostic software right.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 16, 2019 07:34AM
Carm
Well that seems like a waste of time if Apple sent you there. They need to be Apple certified in order to run the diagnostic software right.

Well, it’s a certified waste of time for sure...
Date: May 16, 2019 10:40AM
sekker
Carm

Well, it’s a certified waste of time for sure...
It’s probably a “hoop” he need to jump through to show he was serious. Then back to Apple chat or phone call to tell them it was a certified waste of time. Then maybe he’ll get a box to ship it somewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018