Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
12-year old Drunk Girl Leads Alamogordo Police on High-Speed Chase
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 15, 2019 04:18AM
Just when you think you have seen it all facepalm
Thankfully there were no reported injuries!

NY Post -
Drunk 12-year-old stole grandpa’s car, led cops on high-speed chase:
A drunk 12-year-old girl led New Mexico police on a high-speed chase in a stolen car that ended when she lost control
of the steering wheel and rammed into a speed limit sign, officials said Tuesday.

The pre-teen and three of her friends, ages 12 to 13, zoomed off when Alamogordo Police tried to pull their car over,
and nearly crashed into two police cruisers at one point during the chase, local outlet KKTV reported.

Cops didn’t realize the driver was a child until they surrounded the car and the girls exited with their hands up.

The driver admitted to stealing her grandfather’s car after he fell asleep and then picking up her friends, police said.

Inside the vehicle was a bottle of Smirnoff vodka and crushed up cans of Twisted Tea, a malted alcoholic drink, cops said.
Full Story with Police Video

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 12-year old Drunk Girl Leads Alamogordo Police on High-Speed Chase
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2019 08:04AM
It's fortunate that nobody was badly injured. Hopefully the incident scared the children enough that it will remain a cautionary memory and keep them from future incidents.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: May 15, 2019 09:54AM
Ummm. Why did the officer need to bust out the driver's side window? Seems unnecessary. However, I do see how they would be pissed for having to chase the car, then find out they were minors getting toasted.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 15, 2019 11:18AM
Talk about a breakdown in parenting.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 15, 2019 11:32AM
Sam3
Talk about a breakdown in parenting.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Mental health services can be very difficult to access due to location, long waiting lists, and insurance coverage.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 15, 2019 11:33AM

Arya stole my dragon? She'll pay!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 15, 2019 12:30PM
Even good parents can have a bad kid, or a kid who just makes a mistake. And since grandpa is mentioned, there may not be the typical structure a lot of families need.

Why did the officer need to bust out the driver's side window? Seems unnecessary.

Agreed. If window needs to be broken, one would give a warning or pulled swing to prevent eye injury to anybody inside the car.

Unfortunately, adrenaline can be an enemy and mistakes made. There's a point in the early video where it's obvious these are kids, and the weapons and 'proning' are unnecessary.

During a pursuit, it's unknown what to expect. Once the car is stopped and closer observations are made, then actions should be appropriate. But there's a lot of adrenaline coursing...

It's been a nationwide practice to take everybody to the ground for anything beyond a traffic infraction and it's overused. Then the police have to wrestle when the subject/suspect fails to comply. You have to make judgement calls and not treat everyone as a high-risk offender as a matter of course. Actions have to be justifiable. As bodycams proliferate, we should see some improvement in that area.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 15, 2019 06:28PM
Great Monday morning quarterbacking here......

Wahhhh, wahhhh, wahhhh. The police should have given the felons ice cream and a unicorn. Sheesh.

This was a FELONY STOP. Get your heads out of your butts.

There is NO WAY that those officers could know just what was going to come out of that car. As for the broken window, the officer had begun his action BEFORE the door was being opened (not by much time BUT, once an action is initiated, it's virtually impossible to reverse it "in time"). The girls weren't shot or pummeled. Ultimately, they were taken into custody.

~ two decades ago, what started as a very similar situation had a VERY different outcome. Three "children" had "borrowed" daddy's car on Staten Island (the western most borough of NYC) and, made it about SIXTY MILES east, well into Suffolk County, LI . One of my coworkers saw the poor driving on William Floyd Parkway and, tried to pull them over. The driver hit the gas and, at high speed, sped off eastward. ~ three miles later, they missed a curve, went airborne and struck a BIG tree about six feet up. The tally; 1 fatality, 2 Serious Physical Injuries (including the loss of an eye). The driver was about 13 who's daddy was a NYPD Sergeant.

So, lets drop the Monday morning quarterbacking which is based largely on ignorance and, cut LEOs some slack; at least until you take the oath and learn first hand just how stupid and dangerous people can be. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 15, 2019 08:37PM
And, in many states, she can't get her driver's license until she is 21 now.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 15, 2019 09:46PM
This was a FELONY STOP. Get your heads out of your butts.

Get your head out of your butt.

If they were going to make a high risk stop (aka felony stop) they should have considered officer saftey when doing so.

They didn't. there was no consideration given to officer safety except for guns drawn. One cop is standing out in the open off the beam of the car. Stupid, for a felony stop. No cover, not concealment. He then holsters his weapon. On a 'felony stop'?

Another runs up approaching from the front and bashes the window. A baton? In his gun hand? Again no concern for officer safety. Bum rush a suspect vehicle occupied x times? Really? They were all acting on adrenaline. That's a good way to get yourself or someone else killed. They weren't prepared for a gunfight.

What about the source of the video? It's another cop's body cam. Where is he? About 9:00 which is almost directly opposite another cop. IF there were shot fired, how safe would any of them be? Can you tell me that with any degree of certainty. Rhetorical, because I say you can't.

Granted they didn't know what they had till they did. And when they did, they should have ramped down, because they didn't continue with any semblance of a high-risk stop.

Nobody, meaning me, said or implied they should be coddled. My 'MQBing' is nothing compared to what they would have faced had there been shots fired.

POST no longer teaches routinely taking suspects to the ground. It's been demonstrated it's more efficient and safer (officer safety) to take them into custody from a position of cover, as they exit, than use more manpower to pick them up or risk them trying to flee.

I'm all for cutting cops a break and have done so on many an occasion, and did so here with the mention of adenine. It can work for you or make you stupid. I'm just not down with bad tactics.

That's how people get hurt or worse.

And, in many states, she can't get her driver's license until she is 21 now.

Same here. I hope that's the case in NM.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 16, 2019 08:26AM
I'm glad it wasn't a 12-year old Black boy behind the wheel.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 292
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018