advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When is an alley a street? When Google says it is.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 15, 2019 09:35AM
Little annoying and my doctor just told me to watch my blood pressure. There is an alley next to my house that was hardly ever used. In the last few months the traffic has gone up considerably. Delivery trucks, cars heading to the next street, etc. Two Amazon tall Sprinter vans and a huge FedEx yesterday alone. The Amazon drivers told me it was a street, that Google says it is. The FedEx guy was extremely rude as he was hitting two of my trees with his giant truck. He said it was a street and that Google told him so.

I checked my address on google maps and sure enough, they decided my alley was a street. I've contacted them via their "report" link and am talking to the City about some signage since they do not consider it a street (it's not even 8' wide).

I'm wondering if the City will say, "Geez, if Google says it's a street, I guess we've been wrong all of these years".
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When is an alley a street? When Google says it is.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 15, 2019 10:00AM
You should store your garbage cans and recycling bins in your alley - so the trucks won't fit.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 15, 2019 10:10AM
Forrest
You should store your garbage cans and recycling bins in your alley - so the trucks won't fit.

Why, so he can go buy new cans and bins every week when the trucks flatten them under the wheels?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 15, 2019 10:16AM
Caltrops....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2019 10:16AM
.....so this is like All(e)y.....McBeal....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 15, 2019 10:38AM
Just curious, when you say "my alley", is it your private property?
Date: May 15, 2019 10:53AM
3d
Just curious, when you say "my alley", is it your private property?

City property. I have no control, nor do I care if people use the alley. Since it deadends at my street (sorry, not my street, the city street), there are delivery trucks that just don't know what to do so they sit and idle until google tells them where to go. The problem is that the alley is very narrow and the large vehicles do drive onto my property. The FedEx truck drove onto my lawn and took a pretty good sized chunk out of one of my trees and yanked a branch off of another (both my trees on my property).
Date: May 15, 2019 10:55AM
....is it.....Gasoline Alley.....???

Date: May 15, 2019 11:00AM
Paul F.
Forrest

Why, so he can go buy new cans and bins every week when the trucks flatten them under the wheels?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would happen. Again, I don't own the alley but since google has decided it is a street, it gets way more traffic than it should. Since it is so narrow, cars/trucks will come from both directions then try to figure out how to back up or fly over the other vehicle. The FedEx driver said it was too narrow to back up...duh.
Date: May 15, 2019 11:04AM
freeradical
Caltrops....

Cool idea, but there are neighbors that need to get in and out. We were thinking speed bumps at least. Maybe signs at either end saying something like no through traffic or no trucks or local traffic only.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2019 11:31AM
Definitely signage. Most competent truck drivers will see and adhere. The city will have to 'own' the signs, but your neighborhood can offer to pay for them so there is less arguing.

It could be worse. Small towns in Europe are having "Satnav incidents' where trucks are smashing up 500 year old buildings trying to drive down roads built for horses.
Date: May 15, 2019 11:32AM
.....can you just put chalk outline of body..........near the entrance........??

Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 15, 2019 11:39AM
NewtonMP2100
.....can you just put chalk outline of body..........near the entrance........??

ftw smiley
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 15, 2019 11:41AM
In the "old days" of cartography, pre 2005, I spent untold hours trying to determine whether certain ways were streets or alleys; streets or shared driveways, paper streets or useable roads. But why bother with some irrelevant old geezer like me, when some whiz kid's algorithm can make that determination much more cheaply? Incorrectly, but more cheaply.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 15, 2019 11:55AM
mstudio
freeradical
Caltrops....

Cool idea, but there are neighbors that need to get in and out. We were thinking speed bumps at least. Maybe signs at either end saying something like no through traffic or no trucks or local traffic only.

Signs like that don't work at all. My neighborhood is proof of that.

If they keep driving into your property (especially the same place), here's what I would do. Buy a large boulder. Plant some cheap shrubs around it to hide the boulder. Wait for the loud crashing sound...
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 15, 2019 12:11PM
rz
Buy a large boulder. Plant some cheap shrubs around it to hide the boulder. Wait for the loud crashing sound...

A landscape boulder could be a very nice addition to the front lawn. Be 1000% sure of where your property line is. You do not want to have to move it after it's delivered. facepalm

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 15, 2019 01:17PM
3d
rz
Buy a large boulder. Plant some cheap shrubs around it to hide the boulder. Wait for the loud crashing sound...

A landscape boulder could be a very nice addition to the front lawn. Be 1000% sure of where your property line is. You do not want to have to move it after it's delivered. facepalm

Thirded. Neighbors at the end of a dead end street which drunk drivers occasionally forget ends there have needed to do this simply to protect their house.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 15, 2019 01:24PM
I'm wondering if the City will say, "Geez, if Google says it's a street, I guess we've been wrong all of these years".

generally speaking, no. they don't want an additional street added to their inventory. if it is added, they would be responsible for all the regulations governing public ways. and I am guessing that, perhaps, they'd rather not have it as an official public way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 01:24PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 15, 2019 01:26PM
You can submit map notes to Google but it takes 3-9 months to process them. I complained about a narrow steep street with a sharp corner and usually has cars parked on both sides. Large trucks had been hitting cars nearly every week. They changed the map... a little. Multiple people submitting complaints/notes/updates, along with a local newspaper about the issue might get a more prompt update.

Rent a post hole digger, make a 5' deep hole, plant a 10' long 6" pipe right at the corner edge of your property and fill it with concrete (call 811 at least two business days before!).

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 01:29PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: May 15, 2019 01:34PM
.....alley..........oop........

Posted by: testcase
Date: May 15, 2019 02:04PM
Some rotten eggs dropped on the roof of offending vehicles or maybe some DIY stop strips... baseball bat smiley
Date: May 15, 2019 03:12PM
.....Diagon Alley.....???

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 15, 2019 08:46PM
Rent a post hole digger, make a 5' deep hole, plant a 10' long 6" pipe right at the corner edge of your property and fill it with concrete (call 811 at least two business days before!).

I like that idea, although I think deeper would be better, and fill it with concrete. Or cement. Whichever pours easier. LOL

Paint it yellow and wrap some yellow and some red reflective tape around it. Or some red and white and make a candy cane out of it. Make it 'Merican with red, white, and blue tape.

What does the alley show as, on GPS? Does it have a name?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 15, 2019 10:42PM
check Waze too. On Waze you can submit closures yourself and if you get a few neighbors to do it too, the map changes itself.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 16, 2019 02:52PM
It might take a city/county council approval, but you could install one of those automated bollards that only retract for local residents and emergency vehicles.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 255
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018