advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2019 Magee Marsh trip
Posted by: DP
Date: May 15, 2019 10:48AM
For the past four years I've been going down to Ohio, east of Toledo, right on Lake Erie, to Magee Marsh. May is when the Warblers (and some other birds of course) take a break there before they fly across the Lake on their way to Canada for the Summer.

This year I was late-I usually go the first week in May but it was solid rain back then and I had other obligations-and it really made a difference. A lot more filling in of the trees and marsh vegetation so that it was considerably more difficult to lock on to those active little buggers. Man, do they flit around like crazy! But because some Warblers migrate later than others, I was able to get images of four new ones.

So, I'll start with the new ones. What made it easier was the sheer number of Cape May Warblers! Loads of those. This first two are female Cape Mays:

A male Cape May:

An aptly named female Black-and-white Warbler. The only Warbler that creeps up and down like a Nuthatch:

Another new sighting-a male Magnolia Warbler:

The last new one. A female Black-throated Blue:

Still a pretty bird. A male Chestnut-sided:

Another local bird that's fairly common there. A beautiful male Scarlet Tanager:

There is a Bald Eagle's nest at the Marsh too and it's been in business the four years I've been going. Here's the active nest just after one of the parent's brought a critter to the nest:

Just landed on the branch:

And the pair out hunting. It's the pair occupying the nest as we saw one drop to the water and fly back to that nest:

A couple shots of some other things going on. Here's what I believe are a nesting Trumpeter Swan couple (as they have black bills).

And lastly, a crowded log in the Marsh:

Thanks for looking in...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2019 Magee Marsh trip
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 15, 2019 10:50AM
I'm guessing these are not iPhone pics?
Date: May 15, 2019 10:56AM
No. SX50. Funny you should mention it tho. The SX50 obviously isn't a "professional" camera and, while I'm happy with it's long zoom, sometimes it has other issues with the results from its small sensor and trying to deal with manual focus. I going to look for alternatives when I shoot wildlife...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 11:01AM by DP.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 15, 2019 11:07AM
Very nice!
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 15, 2019 01:06PM
You use a tripod? or a monopod?

I would think as an alternative, one of those $400-500 camera bundles with entry level DSLRs might be a good place to start?

[www.beachcamera.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 15, 2019 02:24PM
No tripod. I have a Canon 6D Mk. II but can't buy a 1000mm
lens right now! I also bought a Lumix GX85 a bit ago and am thinking of a zoom for that.

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 15, 2019 03:20PM
Was the boardwalk crowded with your later visit? I hear it's getting really zoo-like. I've never been myself. One of these years. May is a no-fly month for me.
Date: May 15, 2019 05:03PM
Acer
Was the boardwalk crowded with your later visit? I hear it's getting really zoo-like. I've never been myself. One of these years. May is a no-fly month for me.

Yes, it was very busy. The weather was great so that brings out a lot of folks.

Weather not withstanding, I will go first week again next year... It is quite interesting tho. Worth it (to me, anyway).

Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 15, 2019 08:57PM
Nice shots. It appears there is plenty of food there for the eagles.

grinning smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 15, 2019 09:12PM
freeradical
Nice shots. It appears there is plenty of food there for the eagles.

grinning smiley
do eagles usually eat humans in white formal wear?
Posted by: surfer33
Date: May 16, 2019 12:26PM
Thanks for sharing!
Date: May 16, 2019 03:20PM
Thx, all!

Date: May 16, 2019 04:25PM
And then a pretty Baltimore Oriole showed up in my backyard yesterday! This morning a female was in the crabapple tree too but I couldn't get a shot. They don't stick around here either. I see more at our cottage Up North.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018