advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Office Microwave Geneva Convention Violation
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2019 12:11PM
A recently retired co-worker (who is working as a consultant because reasons) decided today was the time to microwave some nice fish leftovers for dinner.

I am the closest person to the microwave. The only reason I'm surviving is my sense of smell is perhaps 50% of normal.

Hoo boy. I have refused to name him to the people in the area who are furious. I like the guy !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Office Microwave Geneva Convention Violation
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2019 12:13PM
......there is also the person who will microwave something with tomato sauce but not cover it.......it splatters all over the microwave like a crime scene......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 15, 2019 12:17PM
How can anyone not know that's a no-no?!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 15, 2019 12:21PM
Cbelt,

No violation. If the office provides a fridge and microwave then people are entitled to use it for the food of their choice. Be thankful. Your coworker could've made veggie sausage with popcorn, asparagus and broccoli in garlic and marmite sauce.

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 15, 2019 12:28PM
If and when I see someone has left dirty tupperware in the small shared office kitchen sink I consider it trash and throw it in the garbage for them.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 15, 2019 12:41PM
Years ago, we had a teacher like that (at the school I work for). Someone, very politely, put out a note asking for people to please refrain from microwaving seafood leftovers in the Staff Room because she was sensitive to the smell. Like, puking in the garbage can sensitive.

He made a point of having leftover seafood pasta a couple times a week for a year.

He was a 60's counterculture type that could not STAND being told what to do. He was also the type to give kids the password to the Student Information System, and have THEM do the Attendance. That went over good with the administration. I changed the password three times that year.

Surest way to get him to do something was to tell him not to do it.

I miss several retired teachers and staff from years past. Him I don't miss.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2019 01:37PM
Paul F.
Years ago, we had a teacher like that (at the school I work for). Someone, very politely, put out a note asking for people to please refrain from microwaving seafood leftovers in the Staff Room because she was sensitive to the smell. Like, puking in the garbage can sensitive.

He made a point of having leftover seafood pasta a couple times a week for a year.
A lean-to out back with a microwave for Abbie Hoffwannabe would have been my solution. Freedom is shared. Doesn't mean you are allowed to harsh everyone else by 'sticking it to the man'.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 15, 2019 02:22PM
Freedom is shared. Doesn't mean you are allowed to harsh everyone else by 'sticking it to the man'.

Agreed.

I knew somebody who cooked catfish in a microwave and it was horrible. He never did so again.

I wonder if the type of fish makes a difference. Cooked cod in my micro is not a problem.

A co-worker used to routinely burn popcorn. She'd set the timer and walk off. She was told she'd not be allowed to use it if it continued. So she sat and listened for the popping to slow/stop.

It took me a long time to resuscitate my hunger for popcorn.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 15, 2019 02:57PM
RAMd®d
A co-worker used to routinely burn popcorn. She'd set the timer and walk off. She was told she'd not be allowed to use it if it continued. So she sat and listened for the popping to slow/stop.

Unattended microwaves are a big no-no in our offices because burned popcorn has set off fire alarms more than once.

People set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 3 and wander off.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 15, 2019 03:38PM
Robert M
Cbelt,

No violation. If the office provides a fridge and microwave then people are entitled to use it for the food of their choice. Be thankful. Your coworker could've made veggie sausage with popcorn, asparagus and broccoli in garlic and marmite sauce.

Robert

This is clearly a guy that has never had to deal with fish sticks heated in a microwave...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 15, 2019 03:58PM
As the company photographer, my office/studio was across the hall from the accounting dept. Of the 14 in that office, 11 were women of at least partial Asian descent. It was unbearable some days at lunch time. I would hide out in the darkroom the next building over, with the noxious acid and fixer fumes.

Burnt fish and broccoli happened daily. Same with popcorn.

Eventually facilities took their microwave away for environmental reasons. First and only time the Environmental Health and Safety office helped me out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 03:59PM by Racer X.
Posted by: max
Date: May 15, 2019 04:56PM
I like blackened popcorn....
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 15, 2019 05:04PM
I was working at Elmendorf, and there was a fridge full of halibut that some folks had caught on a big fishing trip. The idiots I was working with unplugged the fridge so they could plug in their soldering irons and wire wrap guns. They never plugged it back in when they were done for the day.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 15, 2019 06:36PM
I was that guy who microwaved salmon cakes without a thought. After an intervention I got the message.
Posted by: jh
Date: May 15, 2019 07:18PM
Several years ago in our school lounge a teacher heated some shark in the microwave. The odious smell drove all of us who were eating out with several making comments about the horrible smell. He got the idea and never brought any more fish again to heat up.
Date: May 15, 2019 07:18PM
Hal,

Been there, done that. Fish sticks are pleasant perfume in comparison to some of the stuff people have heated in the microwave at my office. Trust me. I nearly puked when someone who used our toaster-oven to heat up a sardine, peanut butter, strawberry preserve, Metamucil and egg on garlic pumpernickel sandwich. And, yes, the sandwich had Metamucil in it and it was the orange flavor.

Robert
Posted by: rz
Date: May 15, 2019 08:15PM
Yeah, we had a guy who would microwave sardines in the microwave at 9am. Then he would throw the remains in the men's room, which wouldn't get cleaned until after hours.
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 15, 2019 09:27PM
Popcorn? At work?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 15, 2019 09:52PM
rz
Yeah, we had a guy who would microwave sardines in the microwave at 9am. Then he would throw the remains in the men's room, which wouldn't get cleaned until after hours.

Tentative winner.

I imagine it could be worse with lutefisk.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 15, 2019 10:21PM
Acer
I was that guy who microwaved salmon cakes without a thought. After an intervention I got the message.

Salmon and Cake in the same sentence? barf smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 16, 2019 08:22AM
Filliam H. Muffman
rz

Tentative winner.

I imagine it could be worse with lutefisk.

My favorite quote on attempting lutefisk (credit Clay Shirky):

To understand the relationship between aquavit and lutefisk, here's an experiment you can do at home. In addition to aquavit, you will need a slice of lemon, a cracker, a dishtowel, ketchup, a piece of lettuce, some caviar, and a Kit-Kat candy bar.

1. Take a shot aquavit.
2. Take two. (They're small.)
3. Put a bit of caviar on a bit of lettuce.
4. Put the lettuce on a cracker.
5. Squeeze some lemon juice on the caviar.
6. Pour some ketchup on the Kit-Kat bar.
7. Tie the dishtowel around your eyes.

If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk. Return to step one.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: May 16, 2019 08:41AM
...and don't get me started on Surströmming. Please.

=TC
Posted by: TLB
Date: May 16, 2019 08:57AM
space-time
Acer

Salmon and Cake in the same sentence?

As a child, a small can of salmon, stretched to feed 5 with the generous addition of day old bread and garden grown herbs, was a special Sunday dinner for us. Us kids called them patties, but they resembled Maryland crab cakes. They were pretty tasty and a treat compared to creamed corn pancakes or tomato gravy on toast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 08:59AM by TLB.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 16, 2019 08:58AM
.....(micro)wave.......of destruction.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 16, 2019 09:13AM
TLB,

That brings to mind a "delicacy" my mom makes on occasion called Salmon Loaf. She adores it. I despised it. One taste was enough for me to avoid it all costs. I'd rather eat creamed corn pancakes and tomato gravy on toast. Heck, I'd rather eat deep fried spam balls in with jerk curry limburger and lime sauce. to the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever made it before and with good reason.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 16, 2019 05:51PM
I have some Costco salmon patties that I fry/grill and they are tasty.

But I can imagine it would not be co-workerly to cook or even reheat them in the company micro.

Maybe warm them slightly in a plastic bag, just you, the salmon, and some plastic off-gassing...

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018