advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Map, parking, Sketch, Arrows, etc. What softwar eto use?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 17, 2019 04:28PM
I plan to make an effort at solving our HOA parking issues. there are some old files with parking spaces, but I think it would be worth-while to make a new diagram in a high resolution format that would allow me to zoom in and assign spots, make sketches, etc.

I could start with aerial view on google maps and I would like to overlay some parking spaces, house outlines, etc.

Is this something I can do with free software (pages, keynote)? would one of the Adobe products help? I may have an old version of photoshop, illustrator, etc, or I could sign up for creative cloud for one month.

eventually I want to end up with a PDF that has all the details and I can do further edits such as assign numbers, labels, etc.

Thanks

EDIT: I think I have all these file stored on a server at home. And I also have a computer with Snow leopard.

[forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 06:23PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Map, parking, Sketch, Arrows, etc. What softwar eto use?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 17, 2019 04:48PM
I like the idea of using a 'cloud' solution that will allow you to publish your overlay as part of a google maps view, that you can then 'own' and share with all your HOA members. I have no idea how to do this though.

[help.sketchup.com]
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 17, 2019 04:49PM
Illustrator (or FreeHand, if you still run SL) would be the best way. You can just bring in an aerial photo or plat of survey or align both, and then draw your curblines on one layer, stalls on another, arrows and markings on a third, etc. Of course, the best drawing program to use is the one you already know, but you only need to learn two or three tools. FH and AI offer true curves, lots of control over fonts and colors, and excellent output to PDF or printing.

Bear in mind that there are aerial photos from sources other than Google Maps. Look at the alternatives: Here.com, Bing, OpenStreetMap, ArcMap Online. Your state or county GIS department may have a service online displaying "leaf-off" early spring photos where ground areas are less obscured by trees. Or sign up for a trial period with NearMap for the latest high-res imagery.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 17, 2019 05:21PM
You could create a .kmz file that would work with Google Earth.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 18, 2019 12:56AM
SketchUp free would be the best cost effective program. You do measured drawings and use a JPEG as template. It also be popped into google earth
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018