The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP I.M. Pei
Posted by: Bo
Date: May 17, 2019 09:48PM
Didn't see this posted yet:

[www.nytimes.com]

I. M. Pei, who began his long career designing buildings for a New York real estate developer and ended it as one of the most revered architects in the world, died early Thursday at his home in Manhattan. He was 102.

I had the good fortune to work with him on an amazing project in Japan not long after I graduated college. I was working as part of the exhibit design team on a museum he designed in the mountains outside of Kyoto. I fondly remember having one of those "pinch me" moments at about age 25, just the two of us alone in a gallery sitting at the base of a 15' statue of buddha discussing shadow lines for an hour.

He was an incredibly charming person.

For those interested, the Miho Museum was the project. Well worth the trek if you are in ever in the Kyoto area.
[www.miho.or.jp]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP I.M. Pei
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 17, 2019 10:38PM
Very impressive!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 18, 2019 12:37AM
The Louvre Museum, France

Posted by: neophyte
Date: May 18, 2019 10:47AM
A partner in his company designed the Hancock building in Boston. I remember it in the 1970s with plywood windows to cover the holes left by glass windows that had fallen to the streets below
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 18, 2019 05:55PM
neophyte
A partner in his company designed the Hancock building in Boston. I remember it in the 1970s with plywood windows to cover the holes left by glass windows that had fallen to the streets below

I remember that, too.

It is what it is.
Posted by: stephen
Date: May 20, 2019 12:19PM
I worked in the John Hancock Tower in Boston for three years. 1999-2002. Was proud to walk in there every day. It was beautiful from every angle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 323
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018