Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Missed this in Auto News: Infiniti (Nissan) Surrenders in Europe
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 18, 2019 03:53PM
Hong Kong based Infiniti is leaving the European market & closing its UK plant
in 2020 citing poor market share (2018: 5800 units) and strict emissions requirements.

Reuters -
March 12, 2019
Nissan's Infiniti to exit western Europe early next year

BEIJING - Nissan Motor Co’s premium brand Infiniti said on Tuesday it will exit western Europe early next year,
as it restructures its global operations and turns its attention to sales in the world’s top two auto markets.
Full Story

Trivia: The 'Infiniti' brand is not sold in Japan. Certain models are offered in Japan
with their parent Nissan branding.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 03:54PM by MrNoBody.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Missed this in Auto News: Infiniti (Nissan) Surrenders in Europe
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 18, 2019 05:18PM
Infinity and Lexus were both introduced in the fall of 1989 as an answer to Honda's Acura introduced three years earlier. Infinity ran into trouble right at the start with a poor marketing campaign. While Lexus went with a campaign featuring the car and build quality, Infinity went with a zen idea featuring scenes of nature with a voiceover talking about car design philosophy. The car itself was never shown in any ads. From that point, Infinity was playing catchup and never really did with the public

First impressions do matter.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 18, 2019 05:29PM
Ombligo
Infinity and Lexus were both introduced in the fall of 1989 as an answer to Honda's Acura introduced three years earlier. Infinity ran into trouble right at the start with a poor marketing campaign. While Lexus went with a campaign featuring the car and build quality, Infinity went with a zen idea featuring scenes of nature with a voiceover talking about car design philosophy. The car itself was never shown in any ads. From that point, Infinity was playing catchup and never really did with the public

I remember having no idea what in the world those ads were trying to sell.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 18, 2019 05:31PM
Ombligo

Let me tell you, though, as a result one can find AMAZING deals on Infiniti cars in the used market.

It is what it is.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 18, 2019 05:33PM
I thought Jonathan Pryce gloating over the presence of cup holders was quite an effective ad campaign for Infiniti. It must have been their second wave of marketing.
Posted by: ADent
Date: May 19, 2019 05:26PM
Infiniti was not introduced to Europe until 2008.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 19, 2019 10:54PM
The future in Europe are all EVs.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 20, 2019 02:41PM
sekker
The future in Europe are all EVs.
Indeed. VW Group just committed $1.1 Billion to build a battery factory in
Lower Saxony (western Germany).

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Winston
Date: May 20, 2019 07:19PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Ombligo

Let me tell you, though, as a result one can find AMAZING deals on Infiniti cars in the used market.

In 1993 I bought a new Q45 for almost 25% off of list. Thought that was a pretty good deal, and I liked the car a lot. But I like to keep cars a long time, and it turned out to be a lemon, with no support from the dealer or the manufacturer. I've had a low opinion of Infiniti and Nissan since.

If Nissan had wanted to build a premium brand, they should have over-supported the early cars. But Nissan had financial trouble, and went the other way.

They deserve the depreciation they achieve.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 345
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018