advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Automatic Light Switch Turn off
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 18, 2019 08:55PM
At the church, elder asked me to install a motion detector type switch in the bathroom, as a lot of times the light is being left on.

Its an old building and switch only has two wires. No Ground.

Fluorescent lights.

1St Lutron switch I bought at Home Depot, didn't work, as insturctions said , DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT GROUND.

So I called Lutron,and he directed me to one that was a dimmer, and detected. (More Expensive), but he said it didn't require a ground. So installing it, I see when the dimmer is used it makes the Fluourescent lights go crazy. And not sure it would work.

Any thoughts as to what could be installed
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Automatic Light Switch Turn off
Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 18, 2019 10:58PM
I don’t think there is an alternative to that setup. All I can think of is is one of those mechanical spring wound timers to go into the light switch box.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 18, 2019 11:36PM
Is it a metal box? Or metal conduit? If so, is the metal box/conduit grounded?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 18, 2019 11:54PM
Did you check out Zenith and Honeywell sensors at Home Depot and Lowes?

Dunno which of them may require the additional wire, but I know that Zenith supports fluorescents.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 19, 2019 03:34AM
The church is creating a questionable situation - Someone is in the bathroom, just sitting there quietly for an extended period and the lights go out. that can be a safety concern. I would suggest leaving the light switch alone and replacing the FL tube with a LED tube. That could be left on for days at a very small cost. At the very least put an always-on nightlight in.

Yes, it is motion sensing, and all the occupant needs to do is wave an arm - but it is still an easily avoidable liability risk to save just a few pennies

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 19, 2019 08:56AM
MikeF
Is it a metal box? Or metal conduit? If so, is the metal box/conduit grounded?

THIS!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 19, 2019 08:59AM
Ombligo
The church is creating a questionable situation - Someone is in the bathroom, just sitting there quietly for an extended period and the lights go out. that can be a safety concern. I would suggest leaving the light switch alone and replacing the FL tube with a LED tube. That could be left on for days at a very small cost. At the very least put an always-on nightlight in.

Yes, it is motion sensing, and all the occupant needs to do is wave an arm - but it is still an easily avoidable liability risk to save just a few pennies

That happens in our powder room. If someone is constipated and they stay still for 2-3 min the light goes off. All it takes is waving an arm and it comes ON again. I keep telling them to take their fiber.
Posted by: max
Date: May 19, 2019 09:45AM
space-time
Ombligo

That happens in our powder room. If someone is constipated and they stay still for 2-3 min the light goes off. All it takes is waving an arm and it comes ON again. I keep telling them to take their fiber.

Why is is it set to 3 minutes?

Most public bathrooms are set for 30 minutes before the light goes off....
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 19, 2019 09:56AM
Yes the two light switches that I have bought have settings from 1 minute to 30 minutes. Mechanical sounds good, but I will go to Home Depot for 3rd try and see what my good elec rep says. He hasn't been there for my first two purchases

Yes, maybe an additional night light like we use at home would be ok.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2019 11:12AM
......what about 'The Clap.......per'........??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 19, 2019 12:00PM
space-time
Ombligo

We had a similar situation in our private restroom at work after the last remodel: Light would go out and exhaust fan would stop after 2-3 minutes. Usually a fair bit of swearing would follow that until the light came back on. That wasn't the end of the world for a one-seater, but if it had had a stall in there as well it would have been a real problem. Fortunately the switch was a cheapie and didn't last long, and when they replaced it they put in separate conventional switches for the light and the fan, a very good thing because sometimes the fan needed to be allowed to run for a while after the restroom was empty.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Date: May 19, 2019 12:14PM
max
space-time
Ombligo

Thus is at my house.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 19, 2019 12:15PM
space-time
max
space-time
Ombligo

Thus is at my house.

That begs the question. So why is one at your house set to such a low amount of time?
Date: May 19, 2019 03:51PM
I don’t know, maybe it is 5 min now. It was 2 or 3 min initially and kids complained. I changed it and they no longer complain but it still happens once in a while.
I put both fan and lights on timers since they forgot to turn them off. Also I like to have the fan on after you go #2 and I don’t want to have to remember to shut it off.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 19, 2019 06:53PM
ummm

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 19, 2019 08:46PM

Good luck with that.

I've seen many instances where that's ignored, for whatever reason.

Some smartswitches require a neutral wire and grounded case isn't the same thing.

This is probably no help, but in a single occupancy bathroom, such as in the home, a motion sensor by the door could be probably be configures through IFTTT to turn a light on and leave it on until the second detection of movement.

This would require very specific positioning and control of the sensor's view.

Otherwise a mechanical timer switch would seem to be your best bet. I don't know if any of them are really heavy duty. I've seen two instances where they get a little worn and wobble. They were both in high traffic areas.

I don't know if it's by design (as a reminder) but both 'counted down' quite loudly, maybe as a reminder you're on borrowed time.

Finally, whoever locks the doors at the end of day should be making a check of the premises and lights would be on the list.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 316
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018