Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Daughter-in-Law Fell for Computer Scam
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: May 19, 2019 09:23AM
My son yesterday wrote:

Ugh! Raina [DiL] got scammed today. A pop up on her Mac said their were issues and it was frozen and gave her a support [number to] call. Yes, she called it and they asked her to give them remote access to her computer. An outfit calling themselves global mind us. Once they got on her computer they tried to convince her that something was wrong and then asked her to pay 299.99 for them to fix. At that point she realized it was a scam and argued with them a bit… they tried to convince her it was not and she got off and didn’t give them any money or any payment information. BUT they had access behind the scenes to her computer for 22 min!

I called apple and they walked me through malware and deleted anything suspicious. The guy there said that usually they are just trying to get the $300 and your payment info so they can use that. But I’m concerned about them having copied our hard rive and getting access to our passcodes, etc. I realized that they might have also gotten our wifi passcode and could potentially gain access to any computer on the wifi?

I turned off the wifi from all our devices and changed our bank passcode while on LTE service.

What do you think are the risks here? How will we know if they have information? And should we totally wipe the white [MacBook] computer hardrive? What do you think?

I advised him to backup data on that machine (old white MacBook, with SSD that he installed) and then wipe the drive and reinstall everything. I also told him to change all important passwords, including their wireless router, and if there was charge-card info on the computer, to cancel those cards and get new ones. I also suggested he download free Malwarebytes for all his computers (currently three, a 2011 MBP and a 2017 MBP).

I don't know whether the scammer could have gotten into the other devices on the network (maybe not, if Sharing was not open on those), so couldn't advise him there. Any thoughts?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Daughter-in-Law Fell for Computer Scam
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 19, 2019 11:18AM
our bank passcode while on LTE service.

That's not enough* if her email password was found. If that gets changed behind her back, and she doesn't catch the confirmation email in time, a lot of other things tied to it could begin to fall like dominoes.

I'd skip Malwarebytes. It isn't effective against social engineering. It will provide a sense of security, mostly false IMO.

*edit: It may be enough, depending on the bank. I've got one bank that won't let me in if I try to login from a different IP. It's annoying as hell but could stop a thief under some circumstances. I've got another that added a chosen image to their security protocol but I can't even remember what purpose it serves any more. You log in and it asks you if the image you see is "correct." Just click yes and get in.

So a picture of a cheese grater (there, I said it for all the world to see) is the key to my checking account.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 11:22AM by deckeda.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 19, 2019 12:00PM
deckeda
I've got one bank that won't let me in if I try to login from a different IP.

Mine looks at the MAC address.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 19, 2019 03:44PM
freeradical
deckeda
I've got one bank that won't let me in if I try to login from a different IP.

Mine looks at the MAC address.

Waaaaahhhh? I highly doubt that. Are you just accessing it via web browser?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018