advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
GoT SPOILERS
Posted by: DP
Date: May 19, 2019 09:23PM
Not who I thought! But Jon getting punished (sort of) for being the bravest ever? Ah, well. At least Drogon knew...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 09:26PM by DP.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got SPOILERS
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2019 09:26PM
....well, at least it was better than 'The Soprano' series finale..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: GoT SPOILERS
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 19, 2019 09:53PM
Could have been worse, Lost worse.
I liked when Drogon melted the Iron Throne. I had discussed this with a friend earlier this week.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: May 19, 2019 09:55PM
DP
Not who I thought! But Jon getting punished (sort of) for being the bravest ever? Ah, well. At least Drogon knew...

Just like The Kingslayer before him who killed her father for the good of the people
Guess Jon is the Queenslayer now.

Date: May 19, 2019 10:00PM
Yeah that was fun melting the Throne.

Well, we also got a good glimpse of some spinoffs!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 20, 2019 12:01AM
They should have paid Maisie Williams more. She had one of the most important parts in the series.

I was right on one of my three death predictions, so I'm batting 0.333.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 20, 2019 01:02AM
Dude is 3-0 in trials for his life. Tyrion Lannister, Attorney at Law.

Posted by: dk62
Date: May 20, 2019 02:21AM
Why would Night Watch still exist? The real purpose of the wall was to protect against the nightwalkers, and that threat is gone. Or did the show never explain that like the books did?
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 20, 2019 02:47AM
dk62
Why would Night Watch still exist? The real purpose of the wall was to protect against the nightwalkers, and that threat is gone. Or did the show never explain that like the books did?

I thought at first it was the wildlings that were the threat.

The one thing I would have loved to have seen was the negotiations between Craster and the Night King for the job of supplying baby White Walker candidates. A vendor if you will.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 20, 2019 04:20AM
I thought at first it was the wildlings that were the threat.

I think at first it was more the White Walkers than the Wildings, but they as well.

For some reason I think the Walkers became dormant to some degree, and it was just thw Wildings.

Now they're no longer a threat so either Jon is going with them on a LRRP or abandoning the Wall and going native.

I think one of the most poignant moments was Jon saying good-by to Aria. That was a bit of a mist-maker.

Another nice moment was Brienne chronicling Jamie's place in history/eulogy.

Tyrion didn't disappoint. He was one of my favorite characters.

All in all, I'm ok with how it ended. I don't know what could have been done differently and still be believable (in a fantasy world).

And I'm glad Jon got his doggie back.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 20, 2019 06:29AM
They should have paid Maisie Williams more

I think she's going to get a spinoff: Arya Stark Explorer-Adventures In The West.

Tyrion was my choice and I was surprised he turned it down but it just showed-even tho he murdered his father, murdered his lover, and, basically helped set up the conditions that killed his sister and brother-that he was an honorable man. Honorable, as far as that fantasy world is.

I had to laugh too when Samwell suggested they let the people decide on a new King. Keeping it real in Westeros...

Date: May 20, 2019 06:31AM
Also, another missed modern drink on the set:

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: 3d
Date: May 20, 2019 08:08AM
There's an interesting lull in the online toxic fandom universe this morning. Everyone is looking to each other to see how they should feel about the finale. It's safe to say that no one saw the outcome coming. Bran the Broken?? No one saw that coming.

I found the ending fulfilling. We get an explanation to Tyrion's lapses in judgement. Thankfully Brienne's last scene isn't of her crying and begging Jaime to come back to bed after a one night stand. Thank you for that. Some brief moments of levity. A bunch of other touches too lengthy to touch upon. But I thought it was a great episode.

Was this whole season rushed? It felt like it. But the showrunners did the best under intense pressure to wrap up the series.
Date: May 20, 2019 08:10AM
.....the leaks that came out months ago on Reddit, etc. were real as everything listed happened.....

Date: May 20, 2019 08:21AM
NewtonMP2100
.....the leaks that came out months ago on Reddit, etc. were real as everything listed happened.....

Why the heck would anyone in their right mind go onto Reddit to read about future plot leaks and ruin their own and others experience with the show? Miserable online trolls. I have no idea what was said. But thankfully the toxicity didn't seep into MRF and any websites I visit. People were saying Bran was the Nightking for chrissakes because they had similar noses. HAhaha.
Date: May 20, 2019 08:31AM
....I didn't read the leaks but an article on-line stated that they leaks were real.....as they all came to fruition.....

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 20, 2019 08:32AM
I remember the Wildings being mentioned as one of the reasons for the walk as well, with the eights being an even bigger ‘prophecy has it’ threat. I also kind of got a ‘... and who knows what else could be out there?’ vibe around the wall as well.

It wasn’t a slam bang explosion of a finale, but I was satisfied.

I scored one or two speculation points. I nailed Jon as going north (I read him as riding off with the Free Folk also. Likely with a ‘Call me if you need me’ implied to Sansa, et al). My biggest spaghetti strand that stuck to the wall was the idea of Drogon melting the Iron Throne.

I wasn’t on the Bran the Broken bandwagon, though he was such a dark horse character, and kept coming up frequently all of the sudden, I started wondering if it might be a leak.

I really liked Sansa swerving and saying, ‘Love ya bro, but ya know Winterfell has been doing the amiable free agent thing for thousands of years, so I think I’m going to just keep on keepin’ on as is’. Did anybody catch if they specified who her Hand is? Is Brienne doing double duty as personal guard and Hand?

I kind of thought Arya might stay on with Sansa. I thought the King’s Landing massacre might have shaken her enough, and given her a near fill of death, that life as a wandering assassin might be off the table for her.

As soon as Dany turned up in black (Great reveal), I knew she was over the edge for good. Tyrion really boxed Jon into a corner made up of his own convictions, so a face off with Dany was inevitable. When he broke down and kissed her, that only could have been a goodbye, but I wasn’t sure in what way. The classic dagger in the embrace worked well enough.

Clearly a fair number of people hated it, but I LOVED the use of unresolved notes in the story. No unforgettable dying words from Dany; just the light fading from her eyes. No momentous Justice is Served! just deserts served to a furious Cersei; but her world literally falling down around, left with the single thing in all her life that was always there for her, but never enough. Jamie’s love.

Yeah, the oh-so-predictable moaning has commenced, with a healthy mix of the heartfelt, the poseur, the bandwagon jumper and the trolling for trolling sake, but I’ve enjoyed the hell out of both the journey and the destination.
Date: May 20, 2019 08:41AM
The Wall has stood for what, 10,000 years? The Nightking was killed a few months ago and now people should just abandon it?
Date: May 20, 2019 08:49AM
Blankity Blank
Did anybody catch if they specified who her Hand is? Is Brienne doing double duty as personal guard and Hand?

Brienne is part of the newly formed council for Bran led by Tyrion. She had a title of something something (forgot what it was). So no, i think it's safe to say she is no longer Sansa's bodyguard or her Hand.
Date: May 20, 2019 08:56AM
3d
Blankity Blank
Did anybody catch if they specified who her Hand is? Is Brienne doing double duty as personal guard and Hand?

Brienne is part of the newly formed council for Bran led by Tyrion. She had a title of something something (forgot what it was). So no, i think it's safe to say she is no longer Sansa's bodyguard or her Hand.
Oh dang, that’s right. Bran got all the headliners.
Date: May 20, 2019 08:59AM
One questionable moment in this episode was Greyworm's actions (or lack there of) after Jon kills Dany. Greyworm is Dany's newly appointed Commander of all her armies. Greyworm has loyally served her for years across continents. Jon pretty much assassinates Dany and what does Greyworm do? He puts Jon under arrest and locks him up in a cell.
Date: May 20, 2019 09:17AM
Interesting, but there’s more than one way to read it.

Grey Worm is a soldier first, but he’s not a loose canon; that’s one reason Daenerys trusted him to not just fight, but lead.

With Dany gone, Grey Worm would have had no choice but to have everybody cool their jets while he figured out their next move. In sitting on that, Jon’s value as a bargaining chip would be hard to miss.

In that face off with the Westeros leaders, Grey Worm was in a very similar situation to Cersei during the Missandei stand off. He got a good look at what happens when you put bloodlust over strategy facing off with a formidable force. So some of that snarling he did certainly had some real bite to it, but some bark for effect was probably there too.
Date: May 20, 2019 09:34AM
On second thought... does Greyworm know that Jon killed Dany? There's no body. The dragon went berzerk. Flies off. Dany is gone. Ehhh... I bet Jon just confessed because that's Jon being Jon.
Date: May 20, 2019 09:37AM
With Dany gone, Grey Worm would have had no choice but to have everybody cool their jets while he figured out their next move. In sitting on that, Jon’s value as a bargaining chip would be hard to miss.

Not to mention Jon was the rightful heir to the throne so if Jon was killed out of hand there would definitely be civil war-yet more death and bloodshed and atrocities and, and, and. We didn't see it but when Drogon didn't fry Jon to a crisp, perhaps GW and others thought there was something to glean as to why.

Date: May 20, 2019 09:59AM
......Dany might come out better......like that really expensive coffee from animal poop......if the Dragon eats her and she comes out reborn, better in the Dragon poop.....

Date: May 20, 2019 10:01AM
NewtonMP2100
......Dany might come out better......like that really expensive coffee from animal poop......if the Dragon eats her and she comes out reborn, better in the Dragon poop.....

You crack me up, Newt-

Date: May 20, 2019 10:09AM
DP

Not to mention Jon was the rightful heir to the throne so if Jon was killed out of hand there would definitely be civil war-yet more death and bloodshed and atrocities and, and, and. We didn't see it but when Drogon didn't fry Jon to a crisp, perhaps GW and others thought there was something to glean as to why.

Very good point.

As 3d said, you just know Jon copped to it first chance he got.

Almost anybody but Jon?

‘Oh. Grey Worm, hiya. Dany? Uhhh, scouting. Yeah. Scouting. Lots of wheels out there to break. Gotta give’em a looksee, find out which ones need breaking first. Might take awhile. YEARS eve...’

‘What happened to the throne? What’s this blood on the floor? Funny you should ask. Our Queen, mine and yours, she tried it on for size, and man alive if it didn’t nick one of those alabaster cheeks of hers. And, well, you know her temper. “Dracarys! Dracarys!” One less throne. That girl, she’s a pistol...’
Date: May 20, 2019 10:11AM
NewtonMP2100
So that coffee cup. Just more clever foreshadowing.
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 20, 2019 10:18AM
The books were pretty clear that the purpose of the Wall was to prevent magical things coming over and that the obsession with Wildings was a misinterpretation of the role of the Wall and the Nightwatch. Misinterpretation borne out of long-standing belief that there is nothing worse than Wildings in the far north. And not understanding that the Wall is primarily a magical structure, not just a physical barrier. But I do not remember which exact book this was in,one of the two last ones.

So once the Night King is gone,and the magical structure of the Wall is breached, the reason for existence of Night Watch is questionable. Add to that that the Wildings are voluntarily getting out into the far north even though they could stay on this side of the wall. Unless there are other magical threats that have never been mentioned in either medium.... But the Westeros rulers would not be aware of those either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 10:22AM by dk62.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: May 20, 2019 10:27AM
If I didn't know last night was the end of the series, I would have thought it was the season closer with lots of possibilities for next season. Really not satisfying for me.
Date: May 20, 2019 10:39AM
I would have thought it was the season closer with lots of possibilities for next season

I think it's setting up for the spinoffs that have been talked about for a while now.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 20, 2019 11:07AM
Grey Worm NOT killing Jon outright was the one piece of the finale that doesn't make sense to me.

Grey Worm isn't from Westeros, and doesn't give a warm pile of night soil if he's the "True Heir" or not - he killed his Queen.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 20, 2019 11:44AM
I liked the homage(?) to Tolkien's Bilbo Baggins when Sam Tarly presented Tyrion with the Song of Ice and Fire book at the end. It's a bit cheesy to do that. But it was at a light-hearted point in the episode. Along with the honeycomb and donkey in the brothel comment. Hah.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 20, 2019 01:08PM
It's not clear who knows what about Jon. Is his parentage still a secret, and if so, why was it not revealed? What arguments went on behind closed doors about the secret? And what does Gray Worm know about the Wall and the far north anyways? Exile to the NIght's Watch is not really what it used to be, and what's to prevent Jon from finding a Wildling wife and producing more Targaryens? Perhaps everyone but Gray Worm knows this.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 20, 2019 01:59PM
3d
It's safe to say that no one saw the outcome coming. Bran the Broken?? No one saw that coming.

Nah, he was always in the running to a lot of people.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 20, 2019 02:08PM
I never watched the series and reading this thread tells me I didn’t miss anything but a long-running soap opera.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 02:08PM by Speedy.
Date: May 20, 2019 02:15PM
DeusxMac
3d
It's safe to say that no one saw the outcome coming. Bran the Broken?? No one saw that coming.

We will have to disagree. In the chatter I've been reading and hearing leading up to the finale, Team Bran was in the VAST minority.

FYI: A quick search on MRF for "DeusxMac" and Bran came up with one hit for Raisin Bran from 5 years ago. Hah.
Date: May 20, 2019 02:39PM
Speedy
I never watched the series and reading this thread tells me I didn’t miss anything but a long-running soap opera.

There is a bit of Housewives of Atlanta Westeros. Except people die or get raped pretty much every episode.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: May 20, 2019 02:40PM
Vegas and bookies have had Bran as the most likely to sit on the throne from the beginning of this season.
Date: May 20, 2019 03:34PM
cyclemax
Vegas and bookies have had Bran as the most likely to sit on the throne from the beginning of this season.

From what I’ve heard, there were leaks regarding the outcome fairly early on. Chatter on Reddit too.
Date: May 20, 2019 05:35PM

I've seen references to the same, though I wasn't aware of any leaks or indications that these were born of leaks.

Obviously Vegas knew about the leaks.

As the TV show goes, Bran seemed a very uninteresting character, offering very little except vague statements – 'you were where you were supposed to be' and similar woo-woo blather. There must have been more to him in the book(s). As this season progressed, I was hoping that he'd get taken out.

The whole Bran vs the Night King aspect could have been left out, at least in the TV treatment, and I'd be fine with that.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 20, 2019 06:07PM
DP

I think she's going to get a spinoff: Arya Stark Explorer-Adventures In The West.

They set that one up perfectly.

Grateful11
Date: May 20, 2019 09:50PM
Grateful11
DP

They set that one up perfectly.

Where in the World is Arya Stark or, Arya the Explorer. smiling smiley

Date: May 21, 2019 12:22AM
The Explorer with no Name

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 21, 2019 07:52PM
No One is an Explorer.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: May 21, 2019 08:14PM
What do we say when the captain asks if this is your last port of call?

Not the last bay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 347
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018