advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Game Of Thrones spoiler discussion. I don't watch the show but
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 20, 2019 08:59PM
I am quite amused by the online reaction of the finale of Game Of Thrones. The outrage reminds me of how crappy the ending of LOST was.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Game Of Thrones spoiler discussion. I don't watch the show but
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 20, 2019 09:01PM
If it was that bad, they should just take it off the air.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 20, 2019 09:40PM
I watched both series. GoT finale was a thousand times better than Lost.
That’s not to say it was great, but Lost was awful.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 20, 2019 09:42PM
It wasn't a bad ending. But since it was the "Game" of Thrones everybody bet their outcomes. If it didn't fall in line then you know.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 20, 2019 10:57PM
The real Warriors are better.
==
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 20, 2019 11:17PM
I saw both. GoT had a decent ending, and was a setup for multiple spinoffs. The Lost ending supposedly had decent decent Metacritic rating. I seem to remember feeling let down but I apparently gave it a 7/10.

The most savage review was a sequence of comics was along the lines of the two lead writers were told they wouldn't be allowed to perform oral sex on each other until they had the script for the final episode.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 21, 2019 02:40AM
I haven't bothered with any online brouhaha.

I felt the ending was decent and don't know what would be better.

There was no way Dany and Jon would ride Drogon off into the sunset and the Stark siblings live happily ever after.

There were fans outraged even before the final episode. If they were aware of the leaks, it didn't show.

I wish I were interested enough to check out what some people thought would be better endings, but... No.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 21, 2019 05:31AM
Stages of a Toxic Fandom:
1. I love this
2. I own this
3. I control this
4. I can't control this
5. I hate this
6. I must destroy this
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 21, 2019 06:33AM
....the 'Lost' finale wasn't as bad.......remember being disappointed that something more 'profound' didn't happen to tie it all together..........

.....GoT just seemed rushed......HBO should have given it at least 10 episodes to get everything all in........there was also disappointment that seeds that had been planted in earlier episodes came to naught......for example....Bran's abilities never played any role in the last season.....Arya's ability to face swap didn't either.........etc. so why did they spend episodes on character development for this when none were used at all.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: May 21, 2019 07:18AM
I have read stories written by George R. R. Martin over the years. I have read them in sci/fi compilations and one thing pops out. He doesn't write stories with rainbow and lollipop endings. Grim could be a good description. I know the HBO writers took over and Martin isn't done with his books yet so there is that disconnect. GoT fans may be happier with the book ending. How many will read the books tho?

I didn't hate the outcome of the series. It was a fantasy story so it's like anything else-you didn't like how it ended? Sorry about that...

Again, tho, I see the ending such as it was to produce spinoffs and will therefore keep the money rolling in at HBO.

Edit: Just realized something. If you use just Martin's initials, it could be understood as Grim...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 07:57AM by DP.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 21, 2019 11:16AM
Lost was a great show. And we discussed every episode as they were broadcast on this forum for years. But Lost had lost its way, for a good season or two, and the writers there had no plan for how to get off the island and end the show. So Lost was ready to end and the end was bad, but there may not really have been a way to make Lost make sense.

Game of Thrones is different. GOT was and is at its absolute peak in popularity. There was no reason to end GOT now this season. It would have made sense to end GOT if the story had ended, say in the books, like for Lord of Rings (in which the story has a clear end point). But this season was thrown together as if they were cancelling it early for financial reasons, and the writers clearly had no idea how to end the story or provide a coherent and satisfying ending that "made sense" given the story lines of the previous 7 seasons.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 21, 2019 11:34AM
The creators of Lost admitted they had no ending in mind when they created it. I think they took the criticism to heart because Fringe definitely felt like the story arc was well thought out.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 21, 2019 11:47AM
NewtonMP2100
....the 'Lost' finale wasn't as bad.......remember being disappointed that something more 'profound' didn't happen to tie it all together..........

.....GoT just seemed rushed......HBO should have given it at least 10 episodes to get everything all in........there was also disappointment that seeds that had been planted in earlier episodes came to naught......for example....Bran's abilities never played any role in the last season.....Arya's ability to face swap didn't either.........etc. so why did they spend episodes on character development for this when none were used at all.....

Those aspects of their characters weren’t used in the final season, but the characters very much were.

Bran as the Three Eyed Raven was important as the focus of the Night King and as the eventual damper put on the destructively savage ‘game of thrones’ as a King the polar opposite of the other players; uninvested and uninterested in heritage and lineage, and with a view of both the past and the future far wider than the narrow lens of dynasty.

And while we were denied a display of Arya’s perhaps most fascinating skill in the last season, it was put to good use as a part of her being drawn as the consummate assassin, slaughtering, among others,the killer of Syrio Forel and the entirety of House Frey. After that, her abilities and fitness as the slayer of the Night King were cemented beyond question.

Personally, having already seen her feats of daring do, I found her reacquaintance with fear, and her utter horror while drowning in a literal sea of the ‘faces’ of death every bit as satisfying as yet another face swap, even if it didn’t pack the same giddy visceral thrill.

There’s a lot going on.

People overly invested in their pet theories; particularly for favored characters, people who can’t separate the story as told with all the minutiea included in the thousands of story pages included in the books, and more, many with more than a few with heartfelt, legitimate basis.

I guess I long for the days when if a story didn’t go the way you thought or end the way you hoped/expected, most people looked at it as an interesting choice by the storyteller. They’d chew it over, actually think about how the creator got from A to B, consider how that direction may have changed the tone of the story, affected assumptions they may have made. Yes Virginia, there used to be a time like that.

No insults. No revelations that the creator was suddenly a talentless buffoon/hack/mercenary money grabber/whatever. They hadn’t betrayed me. They didn’t not understand his own creation. No petitions by hundreds of thousands demanding millions of dollars be spent to redo it “right”.

Yeah. I miss those days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 11:50AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 21, 2019 01:08PM
....I thought that the creators had an ending for 'Lost' all along [ they knew how it would end ].....they just took a lot of tangents on the way there [ sometimes boxing themselves into corners ].......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 21, 2019 02:11PM
"There was no reason to end GOT now this season."

Yes there was. A lot of the cast involved long term was tired of it going on for 10 years.

The ending was rushed. I don't remember there being two episodes almost back to back with things like out of era drinks sneaking in.

Edit: Bob Newhart ending.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 03:37PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 21, 2019 04:16PM
I just pray that we don't see, Game of Thrones: The Musical...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: May 21, 2019 05:51PM
George Martin says the books will end differently

[www.boredpanda.com]
Date: May 21, 2019 07:13PM
vicrock
George Martin says the books will end differently

[www.boredpanda.com]

"How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well... yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. The had six hours for this. final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3,000 manuscript pages between them before I'm done... and if more pages are needed, I'll add them."

[Spoilery details omitted]

"... Book or show, which will be the "real" ending? It's a silly question. How many children did Scarlett O'Hara have?*

How about this? I'll write it. You read it. Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet."

*This is a reference to a recent Rolling Stone interview.

GRRM: The analogy I've often used is, to ask how many children did Scarlet O'Hara have? Do you know the answer to that?

RS: I know it's different in the book and the movie...

GRRM: Three children in the book, one by each husband. She had on child in the movie. And in real life, of course, she had no children, because she never existed. Margaret Mitchell made her up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 05:04AM by Blankity Blank.
Date: May 22, 2019 09:00AM
My queen.
(She also predicted the “winner” of the throne two years ago.)

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 22, 2019 11:43AM
I think the solution was reasonable.
They were faced with a situation where they had developed a large number of well-written characters over 7 seasons.
Then the writers had to wrap up each one somehow. and stick to the big story line. It was hard enough (but possible) to knock off a number of secondary and primary leads as the end approached, but the problem was who would finally get 'throned' (the title)?
In most TV and movies, the characters are thinly realized, so disposal is fairly simple. When you have lots of good ones, it's hard as hell.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 374
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018