advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you currently own a 'lifetime supply' of something?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 22, 2019 05:10PM
The first thing that comes to mind for me was a great thrift store purchase 20+ years ago. A BIG industrial strength stapler for 50¢. The kind of thing that you can power though a full 1/2" of paper like it's butter. It's awesome, but it didn't come with staples.

All I could find was a box of 5000 staples that is currently about 94% full. I'll have to put it in my will, because I will NEVER use all of these.

I'm sure there are other things, but I just refilled this thing for... maybe the 7th time and I realized just how silly it is... but I still love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 05:10PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you currently own a 'lifetime supply' of something?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 22, 2019 05:19PM
That cracks me up – as soon as I saw the headline I realized I was going to write “ Staples”!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 22, 2019 05:29PM
Third vote for staples. I have enough to give to my kids and nephews. Not too ironically, I received most of them from now-deceased antecedents.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 22, 2019 05:34PM
Lima beans.

One can too many.
Posted by: Z
Date: May 22, 2019 05:42PM
I may be close to a lifetime supply of Volvo 122s Wagons...

Posted by: PeterW
Date: May 22, 2019 05:51PM
Alaska, where old Subies and Volvos go to live forever.

Z - do the twins have to share a license plate and rear bumper?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 22, 2019 06:00PM
Probably have a lifetime supply of ski gear...we currently have 15 functional pairs in the garage, and that's after offloading about 20 pairs over the last 2 years. Plenty of ski boots around too. Last count, we had 24 pairs of ski goggles. Over the years, we've outfitted and taught a large number of families, friends, kids, etc. Over the last 15 years, I worked a summer job solely to support our family ski addiction. Now that I have quit that job, it's the first year I am not considering buying any new equipment.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 22, 2019 06:06PM
My grandfather once bought a pallet of rubber bands. I grabbed a bag off the pile. Unfortunately he left them in the sun and they were ruined. He also bought a pallet of chalk boards. I believe he built a shed out of them. For myself, I have a lifetime supply of movies and tv shows. If I watched them back to back 24hrs a day I could not watch them all before I die.
Date: May 22, 2019 06:33PM
davemchine
For myself, I have a lifetime supply of movies and tv shows. If I watched them back to back 24hrs a day I could not watch them all before I die.

You know what, I believe I may also have a similar lifetime supply of video media. Actually I assume that the kids will benefit from that plethora someday as the point of most of it is its inaccessibility on any streaming services due to low demand.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 22, 2019 06:52PM
does wife count? cause I am not looking to replace her.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 22, 2019 07:14PM
haha - yes, staples - and also .5mm pencil leads.
I remember buying them at the student co-op sometime early in my college years...I graduated just about 31 years ago now.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 22, 2019 07:25PM
Love them old Volvo wagons. I've got a lifetime supply of regret for selling my '67 122 wagon with OD.

Guitar-building wood, especially after inheriting another guy's lifetime supply when he retired from building.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 22, 2019 07:31PM
Pencils. I was shopping at the newly opened Sam's Club years ago and saw a box of #2 pencils (500 count) for just under 5 bucks. I bought on impulse before realizing that I would NEVER go through 500 pencils in my life.

Staples, yeah, me too.

Zig Zag "original rolling papers. Back when I still used eBay, I found a deal of a damages case of rolling papers. Even after giving tons of them away, I still have a lifetime supply.

Oh, and probably a lot of nails that I'll never use up. I have several cases of nails for the nail guns, and I have slowed way down on "projects".

I turn 61 next month. I can feel myself slowing down with each passing day. It's hard enough maintaining my junk, let alone creating new stuff. old fogey smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 22, 2019 07:45PM
Guitar picks and capos.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 22, 2019 07:50PM
lost in space
Love them old Volvo wagons. I've got a lifetime supply of regret for selling my '67 122 wagon with OD.

Guitar-building wood, especially after inheriting another guy's lifetime supply when he retired from building.

according to the movie 'Musciwood', wood for guitars is in very short supply and prices are climbing.

surely you must know about that...

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 22, 2019 08:07PM
Dot matrix sticky-labels on a long perforated/folded stack in a big white box.

Did a big mailing for my dad's business in the 1980s off of my Apple ][e and Oki printer.

The print on the side of the box has long-since faded. No idea how many labels there were originally.

Every member of my immediate family has torn off a few dozen sheets over the years for various projects involving mailing lists or reorganizing file-cabinets.

Have made it about 1/3rd of the way through the box. Given the ever-dwindling need for snail-mail, odds are that the level wont go down much more.

Posted by: rz
Date: May 22, 2019 08:08PM
hal

according to the movie 'Musciwood', wood for guitars is in very short supply and prices are climbing.

surely you must know about that...

[www.youtube.com]

Nonsense. The most common top wood for guitars is spruce, and there's no shortage of that.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 22, 2019 08:14PM
Post it notes, staples and paper clips. I had a big office supply catalog as a client. They would bring vanloads of office supplies to the studio every few weeks. They never came back for it all. I just used to give it all away but I still have drawers of post its.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 22, 2019 08:17PM
plastic straws
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 22, 2019 08:31PM
Does it count if you will never use it again?

Like 100 blank DVDs? Or a dozen zip disks? 250 manila clasp envelopes?

How about 500+ sheets of 13 x 19 Epson photo quality Inkjet paper -- or 100 sheets of 1.3 x 19 Epson Premium Semigloss paper -- still in their box? Manufactured in 2001...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 08:53PM by jdc.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 22, 2019 08:36PM
stuff I inherited from my grandfather:

monkey wrenches

plastic sleeved bags

picture hangers (seriously, thousands. heavy duty, too. have no idea where he got this stuff)

window plastic for insulation
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 22, 2019 08:39PM
Probably zip ties. USB cables. IEC power cords. DVI to VGA adapters.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 22, 2019 08:39PM
Sarcany
Dot matrix sticky-labels on a long perforated/folded stack in a big white box.

Did a big mailing for my dad's business in the 1980s off of my Apple ][e and Oki printer.

The print on the side of the box has long-since faded. No idea how many labels there were originally.

Every member of my immediate family has torn off a few dozen sheets over the years for various projects involving mailing lists or reorganizing file-cabinets.

Have made it about 1/3rd of the way through the box. Given the ever-dwindling need for snail-mail, odds are that the level wont go down much more.

I have a big stack of similar labels. I had them in several sizes, but got rid of all but a couple of stacks, when we moved. Even with only two or three stacks, it is definitely a lifetime supply. Mine are probably late 90's vintage.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 23, 2019 12:12AM
I bought a 500 pack of #10 envelopes and a 500 pack of #6.75 envelopes at BJ's Warehouse Club in 1996...a month before I discovered online banking.

I'm almost 25% of the way through each pack, so have another 70 or so years' supply left.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 23, 2019 12:12AM
FWIW the pressure sensitive adhesive on those labels definitely goes bad over time. The lifetime supply I bought in the 80’s (to use with my ImageWriter II) stopped sticking a few years ago, and I tossed them.
Posted by: TLB
Date: May 23, 2019 07:19AM
Checks. I typically only use 1 a month and can't see exhausting my current supply.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 23, 2019 08:28AM
Somewhere out there, for each of these posts, is someone who would see it and frantically send the author a “DM me!!” message.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 23, 2019 10:12AM
Yeah, checks, but mostly I have way too many speakers. Outdoor speakers (that I had actually installed outdoors at my prior house, but haven't yet done so at the new place), PA speakers (Yamaha S112Vs, too nice to part with), and at least 4 pairs of bookshelf speakers. Add to that - amplifiers, unfortunately all too big to use for most current needs. Don't forget 1/4" instrument cables and XLR mic cables!!

Yes I was in a band and am a speaker junkie.

EDIT: almost forgot the box of unused speaker drivers, and horns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 10:13AM by mikebw.
Date: May 23, 2019 11:12AM
Hmmm speakers… No, I don't think I have a lifetime supply of those yet and that includes a second pair of Pioneer Andrew Somebody towers I bought for next to nothing after I so loved my first pair of Pioneer Andrew Somebody towers. The first ones are in regular use, mind you, I just couldn't pass up a second pair at the going price of peanuts.

I'm also halfway through replacing my rotten Infinity woofers with nice replacements from Parts Express but I need to do a tad more cabinet mod before they fit as well as I want them to. Can't have enough speakers.

However oversized amps are something I'm finally rid of. I have a few good sounding small digital amps in the house and the space savings alone are like gold to me. I definitely don't have a lifetime supply of those yet either…
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 23, 2019 11:44AM
Nails, nuts, bolts, washers, screws, cotter pins, etc. I will never use them all up.

Also, a local hardware store went out of business several decades ago, and I picked up a bunch of hardware for a song - window latches, hinges, turnbuckles etc. - I will never use all of them either.
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 23, 2019 12:26PM
I have a lifetime supply of saxophones.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2019 01:48PM
....cans of whoop*ss......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 23, 2019 03:11PM
8.5 x 11 printer paper. I have over two and a half cases of the stuff that I got about 20 years ago when it was on sale. My kids were six and eight and going through lots of it until they weren’t anymore. It’s rare that I print anything anymore.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 03:12PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 23, 2019 07:14PM
Wooden toy parts from a toy making business I shutdown back in the early 90's. I think I have about 12,000 3/4" wooden wheels and axle pegs plus many other wood turnings. I thought that someday when I get well into my retirement years that I'd start making them again but liability laws for toys have changed since the Chinese lead paint fiasco. I've conversed with a few other toymakers and it's quite a hassle to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018