advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
f/u "circle/slash at start-up on 2011 macbook pro" where to d/l sierra os intallation?
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: May 23, 2019 11:17AM
following up on this problem from yesterday . . .

my strategy is to boot the problem machine from my big hard drive with sierra, which, i think, is the latest os that machine will run, and move mass amounts of data off the problem drive, which i believe will solve the problem. make sense?

my understanding is that i need to have the lion os installed in order to install sierra; please let me know if i'm mistaken about this. so i'm looking for sources for the lion installation os and for the sierra upgrade--free or very cheap are preferred. can y'all give me some guidance on where to find these?

i have a technician who can do the whole thing, but will charge about $150 for it. i'm not sure about investing that much into a 2011 machine, but, in any event, something has to be done to get the data off the bursting-at-the-seams drive. i'm inclined to try the dyi solution first. also, we may be able to avoid all this if my friend finds her back-up drive.

just in case i locate a machine with sierra installed, can i clone it onto my big hd and boot the problem machine from there? will time machine allow me to create that clone or will i need super-duper or ccc to do that?

second issue (maybe the same one as the last paragraph):

she's far from a power user and i think most of what can be gained from a more recent machine will be wasted on her, cost/benefit-wise, but i think an ssd drive will make hers feel like a new machine. once this problem is fixed, what does it take to clone sierra onto the new ssd?

i'm soliciting y'all's thoughts and suggestions.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: f/u "circle/slash at start-up on 2011 macbook pro" where to d/l sierra os intallation?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 23, 2019 11:50AM
Have you tried booting the 2011 MBP in target disk mode? Assuming you have another machine with Firewire or Thunderbolt, then there'd be no need to even get the 2011 booted into an OS if your goal it to copy files off of it. That or I'd just pull the drive and put it in a cheap USB cable adapter or enclosure to copy some files from it and then see if it boots.
Re: f/u "circle/slash at start-up on 2011 macbook pro" where to d/l sierra os intallation?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 23, 2019 01:17PM
There is still a chance that the drive is starting to fail.

PM me if you need help finding Lion. Sierra is here:

[itunes.apple.com]

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 23, 2019 02:57PM
my understanding is that i need to have the lion os installed in order to install sierra; please let me know if i'm mistaken about this.

I wouldn't think it necessary if you have a full installer for Sierra.

I remember time(s) when an OS required a specific OS before some upgrade was possible, but that was a long time ago.

Maybe somebody knowledgeable can address this. I know I'd like to see some clarification on that point.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 23, 2019 03:08PM
Since the iMac can be booted in Repair/Recovery mode, you have some hope to getting the critter usable again.

Boot it into Target Disk mode by holding the "t" at the startup sound. Connect it to your Mac with a T'bolt 2 cable. Both that iMac and your Mac will have that port (unless yours is a 2018 unit or newer). On hers it will be called a mini-DVI port or some such "mini" name.

Now on your Mac, select her iMac in the Finder window, find all of those photos, and move them(don't copy) to an external drive of some sort. A USB thumb drive would work. If you copy them, you will have to then delete them on the Target drive, whereas moving them does the erasing for you.

That should clear up enough space for her iMac to boot into Recovery mode and use Disk Utility to repair the Drive enough to boot normally. Shut down both Macs, disconnect the cable, and try the Repair Disk on hers.

If that does not work, Connect them back together with hers in Target mode and install Sierra using your Mac for downloading the OS.

That gets her back in business with the least expense (the cable).

If you run into problems, PM me. I'm retired and have the time and capability of solving this. I've run into the same problem-type a number of times, and solved them all.

goodmanx
following up on this problem from yesterday . . .

my strategy is to boot the problem machine from my big hard drive with sierra, which, i think, is the latest os that machine will run, and move mass amounts of data off the problem drive, which i believe will solve the problem. make sense?

my understanding is that i need to have the lion os installed in order to install sierra; please let me know if i'm mistaken about this. so i'm looking for sources for the lion installation os and for the sierra upgrade--free or very cheap are preferred. can y'all give me some guidance on where to find these?

i have a technician who can do the whole thing, but will charge about $150 for it. i'm not sure about investing that much into a 2011 machine, but, in any event, something has to be done to get the data off the bursting-at-the-seams drive. i'm inclined to try the dyi solution first. also, we may be able to avoid all this if my friend finds her back-up drive.

just in case i locate a machine with sierra installed, can i clone it onto my big hd and boot the problem machine from there? will time machine allow me to create that clone or will i need super-duper or ccc to do that?

second issue (maybe the same one as the last paragraph):

she's far from a power user and i think most of what can be gained from a more recent machine will be wasted on her, cost/benefit-wise, but i think an ssd drive will make hers feel like a new machine. once this problem is fixed, what does it take to clone sierra onto the new ssd?

i'm soliciting y'all's thoughts and suggestions.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 23, 2019 03:28PM
" Connect it to your Mac with a T'bolt 2 cable "

Or firewire if you have that available.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018