advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
disposing of no longer needed furniture
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 24, 2019 12:22PM
We're having the floors downstairs redone after the water heater leak of a couple of weeks ago. And we've taken the opportunity to get rid of some no longer needed stuff including some furniture. I've tried Craigslist with the usual no-show results. We're going to try again this weekend putting it in front of the house with a "Free" sign, but I'm not optimistic. Donation places don't want furniture, so I'll likely end up calling one of those trash haulers to get rid of if. Which bums me out because it's still in very good shape.

Any other ideas? My wife says to just take a chain saw to it, but I'm open to suggestion for other options. If I bust it up into manageable sized pieces, I can take it to the local waste station myself, but it needs to fit in my car.

On a side note, I began wondering what happens to all this old furniture people are always getting rid of. Sucks to think that it all just ends up in landfills, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's the end result.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: disposing of no longer needed furniture
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 24, 2019 12:29PM
My dad used to say, if you want to give away something, put it on your lawn with a sign that says $5 on it. Someone will steal it.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 24, 2019 12:30PM
is Freecycle still around in your area? might be an option. also, Facebook has a marketplace.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 12:43PM by graylocks.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 24, 2019 12:34PM
I would review local donation places. Many of them should take furniture, but you need to haul it to them.

My area Goodwill will take furniture.
Also my Habitat for Humanity Homestore will take furniture (no toys or beds/bed frames).
And of course putting anything that looks valuable (metal preferred) on the curb the night before trash day gets it picked up by the scrappers.
Date: May 24, 2019 12:42PM
Thanks for the ideas. I did the $5 thing with an old grill I couldn't give away years ago. No takers for the "Free", but at "$5, they thought they were getting away with stealing. smiling smiley

I'll contact the local donation centers. They're okay with smaller furniture, but not the big stuff. Then again, I have no easy way to get the bigger stuff to them anyway without renting a truck.

My wife had the same tire-kicker experience with Facebook Marketplace as I had with Craigslist. Forgot about Freecycle; maybe I'll check that out.

If none of those options works, what's the best way to destroy it?
Posted by: Randalls
Date: May 24, 2019 12:52PM
Here in the flatlands the Salvation Army would send a truck after setting a scheduled appointment but that was a couple years ago
Posted by: numbered
Date: May 24, 2019 12:56PM
Our elderly next door neighbors just moved to assisted living and a company came out to sell their stuff. The person in charge said getting rid of furniture is very difficult. She gave away a nice baby grand piano if the person would haul it the same day. (No one wants pianos.) She sold a few pieces (retro Danish modern is hot now), but almost all the furniture went to the landfill.

We had several nice things to donate recently, and my intrepid spouse had to sell the Habitat guys really hard on taking it.

Free stuff on the street does not seem to disappear anymore.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 24, 2019 01:10PM
Destroying it ?

A reciprocating saw is a great tool ! My daughter had a heavy sleeper sofa in the basement that the cats had used as a litter box. Put the mixed stuff long blade in my Ryobi saw, carved it up into little pieces, and put it into heavy trash bags. Done.

Wooden stuff cuts apart and makes a nice fire. Pressboard stuff can be busted up with a hammer or saw and burns reasonably well, except the plastic in it means no marshmallow roasting until it's coals.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 24, 2019 02:17PM
You maybe could try calling up any of these Escape Room type places to see if they have any need for furniture.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 24, 2019 02:34PM
We just got rid of a room full of excess furniture (chair, bed, frame, mattress, end tables, lamps, and dresser) plus boxes of "stuff" by calling Salvation Army and scheduling a pickup. They took it all. This was late last year.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 24, 2019 02:49PM
Advertise around local colleges/universities, maybe even in their newspaper or on their website(s) as applicable.
Good luck.
==
Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 24, 2019 02:58PM
Put it outside AND list it free on Craigslist. That’s only ever failed me once, and I’ve put out real crap before. Just make sure to say you’ll take the listing down as soon as it’s gone, or you might have people knocking on your door.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 24, 2019 03:34PM
wurm
...Then again, I have no easy way to get the bigger stuff to them anyway without renting a truck.

Drove up to Goodwill last weekend to drop off a coffee table and some clothes.

Guy in front of me had rented a U-Haul. Looked like he was dropping off half a house worth of furniture. Employees took it in stride. I guess it happens pretty often.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 24, 2019 04:03PM
The recent proliferation of bedbugs has a lot to do with this, I believe.

It is what it is.
Date: May 24, 2019 04:16PM
Thanks, all. Apparently i was wrong, and Salvation Army may in fact not only accept decent furniture, but also may pick it up. I'll have to call and check next week. I'll still put it out front of the house this weekend, but I'd be thrilled if SA proves to be a viable option.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 24, 2019 06:41PM
Put it on the curb with a sign that says 'As Seen on Seinfeld'.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: May 24, 2019 08:03PM
I had to LOL. We put a bookcase at the curb today with a FREE note taped to it and it was gone in five minutes.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 25, 2019 07:58PM
got a backyard large enough for a bone-fire?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018