advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who was your Major League Baseball hero?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 25, 2019 03:22PM
I was born in 1950, so of course Mantle was at first. But then I switched to Al Kaline. I had Al Kaline gloves, Al Kaline bats, and the first thing I bought off eBay was an Al Kaline autographed picture.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who was your Major League Baseball hero?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 25, 2019 03:32PM
Willie Mays and Stretch McCovey.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 25, 2019 03:51PM
Posted by: hal
Date: May 25, 2019 04:03PM
Dennis S
I was born in 1950, so of course Mantle was at first. But then I switched to Al Kaline. I had Al Kaline gloves, Al Kaline bats, and the first thing I bought off eBay was an Al Kaline autographed picture.

DOB is important here... Mantle had retired right about the time I was gaining awareness.

My heroes (LOTS of them) - Aaron and Mays mostly with lot of secondary heroes along the way. Brooks Robinson for those amazing WSs. Also Willie Davis - CF for the Dodgers made the most amazing play that I ever saw live. I must have been 6-7 years old, but I remember being about to enter my row, but decided to buy peanuts from the passing vendor. Just as money was about to change hands, there was this loud crack of the bat that any fan identifies as a LONG ball being launched. WIllie Davis bolted for the wall deep in center and caught the thing just as he crashed into the wall and fell in a heap. Then money changed hands...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 25, 2019 04:07PM
Willie Mays. Was happy as a clam when Giants moved west to SF, and I could see him play in person. My favorite number is 12, because when I was kid, I thought it would be cool to someday be able to play baseball half as well as Willie did. Though curiously enough, the first baseball glove I bought with my own money was a Jimmy Davenport, Wilson model A2106; and of course Jimmy D's jersey number happened to be #12. I really liked that model glove, and it was simply a fortuitous coincidence that Jimmy wore #12. Back then, Wilson gave their A2000 series gloves separate numbers for various players that endorsed them. Later on, Wilson stuck to just A2000 or A2K labeling, with sub-model numbers based on size, web, leather, and/or back type, and possibly initials of the endorsers. After Jimmy wore out, I eventually bought a Wilson A2031, Hal Lanier model. Hal spent some quality time with the Giants as #22.
==
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 25, 2019 04:21PM
Not to derail -- but Is it wrong not to have one? Or any sports "hero"? Im not sure I would classify a sports star as a "hero" per se.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 04:22PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 25, 2019 04:21PM
Growing up, probably Dave Winfield or Tony Gwynn of the Padres. Later in life, I really became a big fan of Jay Buhner from the Mariners. He always came across with the vision of being a power player, but also community aided and a good family man.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 25, 2019 05:11PM
Ozzie Smith and then Cal Ripken.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: May 25, 2019 05:14PM
Willie Mays.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 25, 2019 05:22PM
Markintosh
Growing up, probably Dave Winfield or Tony Gwynn of the Padres. Later in life, I really became a big fan of Jay Buhner from the Mariners. He always came across with the vision of being a power player, but also community aided and a good family man.

Later in life I grew an appreciation for Tony Gwynn - sae him and Ted Williams tallking about 'great hitters' and at that point, Williams (one of Dad's mbl heroes) was a cantankerous blow hard while Gwynn was so very friendly and @#$%& brilliant in his analysis.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 25, 2019 05:27PM

Brooklyn John
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 25, 2019 05:47PM
Barry Bonds
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 25, 2019 05:55PM
Al Kaline was my favorite too. As a kid, I had a HUGE collection of baseball cards and followed most teams. I was 10 Y.O. in '68 when the Tigers won the world series. I was in awe!

I also remember a neighborhood Dad taking all us kids to good 'ol Tiger Stadium to see the Tigers host the Yankees that year. Rioting was big during that time. A lot of burned up buildings right before arriving to the stadium. Mickey Mantle hit a home run and Jack, the neighbor who took us, said, "That's probably one of the last home runs Mantle will hit."

Memories.

I followed baseball up until the early 80's, when baseball strikes and illegal performance drugs were all the rage. That's when I said "F-em", and stopped watching pretty much all pro sports. I'm not sorry I let them go.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 25, 2019 06:40PM
I only liked baseball when I was a kid: Hank Aaron, playing for the Milwaukee Braves, was a favorite.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 25, 2019 07:02PM
Willie Stargell, but only because I met him as a kid.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 25, 2019 07:30PM
Kirby Puckett of the Minnesota Twins.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 25, 2019 07:47PM
Rod Carew of the Minnesota Twins.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 25, 2019 08:06PM
Being a Red Sox fan and polish, I gotta say Carl Yastrzemski.
OK, Yaz was 1A, and 1B would be Dwight Evans, man he had an arm on hm. When I attended a game at Fenway, regardless of where our seats were, I would hang out down the right field near the foul line during pregame warmups. Evans would always throw a monstrous liner from deep right to home plate before warmups ended.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 25, 2019 08:30PM
Ernie Banks, no one else came close.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Posted by: Golfer
Date: May 25, 2019 09:03PM
Steve Garvey and Cal Ripken Jr
Posted by: Cary
Date: May 25, 2019 09:49PM
Willie Mays
Posted by: srf1957
Date: May 25, 2019 10:42PM
Lou Brock was the first baseball player I was probably aware of . Got a Cardinals sticker from a box of cereal . And a Lou Brock card somewhere . Was around 1965 his second year .
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 26, 2019 07:16AM
Mine go too far back on Wheaties boxes. You wouldn’t know.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 26, 2019 07:30AM
Cal Rikpen, all the way.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 26, 2019 09:16AM
samintx
Mine go too far back on Wheaties boxes. You wouldn’t know.

Remember Bob Richards?
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: May 26, 2019 10:41AM
Milwaukee born and raised ... Hank Aaron!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 26, 2019 11:43AM
I was never the collect-baseball-cards fan, and mostly gave up viewership after the early-'90s player strike.

But I do like a good story, and watching the 1979 World Series Champion "We Are Fam-a-lee" Pirates was great. Prior to that my earliest memory was in front of the TV watching Hank Aaron become legend.

I grew up in St. Louis, and had several '70s-'80s Cardinals heroes.

The best part was probably listening to Jack Buck's wry deadpan against Mike Shannon's odd late-game Busssschhhh beer color commentary on KMOX.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 26, 2019 02:17PM
Tommie Milwaukee
Milwaukee born and raised ... Hank Aaron!

Are you therefore the ghost of Hank's little brother, Tommie ? ? ?

Also, I thought the Aaron's, along w/ everybody's fave, Willie Mays, were sewn and grown in Alabama.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 26, 2019 02:42PM
....holding out for hero......til the end of the night......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 26, 2019 05:13PM
For the majority of my youth it was Davey Lopes. But I also liked Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Vida Blue, Frank Ronson. Ron Cey, Steve Garvey and Nolan Ryan and so many more.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 27, 2019 04:31AM
Heroes?

I'm not too sure but I was a VERY BIG baseball fan.

Roy McMillian-starting shortstop for horrible Mets teams of the early 60s. (I played short on the North Highway Little League in Brooklyn.)

Willie Mays-I moved to CF, loved playing CF, made the All-Star team several years in the row in CF and it was all due to Willie. (man, was his 1965 year fantastic)

Thurmon Munson-I was NOT a Yankee fan. But Thurman was a great catcher on insane Yankee teams and by then I was playing catcher and right field on softball teams.

Crash Davis of Bull Durham fame. I am still catcher.

Derek Jeter-because I saw his entire career start to finish and as a lifetime .300 hitter, I saw how every at-bat counts and he never mailed it in.

The every at-bat counts creed became a mantra for me not just in baseball but in my life. The margin between success as a hitter (.300+) and average (.250-.275), the difference between Hall of Fame and a few years in the Bigs, is really just a few hits per season. That translates to a few extra hits a month or per week and in order to achieve that goal, every at-bat counts.

And lastly, in 1962 I met Jackie Robinson at a sports event in Brooklyn. I never forgot that night or that man. There was an electric intensity to the guy. I still have the ball he signed. My brother and I sometimes played catch with it when we ran out of "good" balls to toss around.

I still love baseball.

Thumbs up.

Rob
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 28, 2019 06:56PM
Roger Maris then, Cal Ripken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018