advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Smartwatch for Geriatrics ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 05, 2019 08:18AM
A colleague is looking for a smart watch for her dad, who needs some surreptitious monitoring . Long battery life (many days), pulse monitoring, sleep monitoring, hopefully fall detection. Apple Watch really needs to be charged daily, and he won't remember to do that.

Any ideas ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Smartwatch for Geriatrics ?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 05, 2019 08:21AM
CBelt,

I'd still go with an Apple Watch. It doesn't necessarily have to be charged daily. We just gave a series 4 to my dad as a Father's Day gift and he loves it. He doesn't charge it each night.

Robert
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 05, 2019 08:44AM
Yes, the battery life on the series 4 is great. It can almost b fully charged while showering or eating breakfast. It might last 2 days with little fitness activity.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 05, 2019 08:59AM
Does the geriatric currently wear a wristwatch now? You can purchase him the best watch in the world, but if he doesn't wear it because he doesn't like the feeling or just doesn't remember to wear it it's pointless and a waste of money.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: June 05, 2019 11:43AM
cbelt3
A colleague is looking for a smart watch for her dad, who needs some surreptitious monitoring . Long battery life (many days), pulse monitoring, sleep monitoring, hopefully fall detection. Apple Watch really needs to be charged daily, and he won't remember to do that.

Any ideas ?

I charge my Apple Watch 3 about every 3 days.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 05, 2019 12:08PM
Cbelt,

I _hate_ watches. Despite that, I'm still using the Apple Watch series 1 my brother gave me. It holds a charge for nearly an entire day. I don't answer calls with it but I do get lots of notifications. I have a charging stand for it on my nightstand and I have a second charger at my office.

If I see the charge on the watch is running lower than I'd like during the day, it's easy enough to drop it on the spare charger for a little while when eating lunch or performing a task where I don't need to have a watch handy. The Apple Watch charges _very_ quickly. So, even ten or fifteen minutes on the charging stand at my office will give it a noticeable boost.

Charging stands that use the Apple charging dongle are dirt cheap. A stand that has its own dongle can be had for about $25.00. Since I had a charging dongle already, I just bought a stand to use with it. the one I have at my office is a combination of a stand and dongle. That cost $24.99. No problems with it so far.

Robert
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 05, 2019 02:54PM
What are his living condition and, how sound of mind are they?

Decades ago, an in-law was in a facility due to Altzheimer’s. His brain had turned to pudding but, was still VERY ambulatory. He routinely wandered away. In his facility other patients would co-opt each other’s belongings so, anything of value (as well as items with no value) would disappear. If your geriatric is still home with care like a visiting aide service, how trustworthy would said help be? An expensive smart watch is a VERY attractive target.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 05, 2019 03:33PM
cbelt3
Apple Watch really needs to be charged daily, and he won't remember to do that.

Would he remember to toss it on here every morning?:

[www.apple.com]

Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 05, 2019 04:48PM
I own this. Only have to charge about once a month. Can do sleep and heart rate monitoring.Doesn't have fall detection though.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: tortoise
Date: June 06, 2019 10:50AM
The apple smartwatch is a wonderful tool with capabilities to greatly enhance remote care and assistance of elderly relatives. The only qualifier is that there is a steep learning curve and the elderly person must be willing to learn new ways of doing things and have the mental clarity to accomplish that. I set up my 93 year old mother with a Apple watch 4 and iPhone 8 about a year ago and while the transition has not been without problems, overall it has made a big difference in my ability to monitor and provide assistance to her without driving the 70 miles distance between our homes. She previously had a medical alert device with fall detection and 24/7 instant access to operators who would summon whatever help might be needed. This was a device worn around the neck on a lanyard and she resisted wearing it because it was "ugly" and a nuisance as well, not to mention the $49/monthly fee we paid for the service. I noticed she was not wearing it regularly and talked to her and she said she would be much happier with a watch and would be more likely to wear it regularly. Now one year later she is comfortable using most of the features, I can look her up on "find my iPhone" at any time to determine her location, and one of my favorite features is the "walkie talkie" which provides instant communication between us without even using a phone, just a simple press of the button and as long as cell signal is available we can talk directly thru the watches. So in summary if you want a really comprehensive way to assist her dad the apple watch is hard to beat, daily charging is required but really not that difficult to incorporate into daily routine with a bit of training into routines. It requires a serious commitment to assisting with the learning curve but once accomplished it really does a marvelous job and there are many other features that one can learn as time goes on. My mother was really amazed at the ECG capability we have even reviewed some of the results with her doctor. Fall detection works very reliably and with zero false alerts which was a problem with her previous device worn on a lanyard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018