advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Creating a Will - anyone use software?
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 05, 2019 09:09AM
The Mrs. and I would like to update our Wills. Just curious if anyone has ever used software for this or if we should just bite the bullet and get it produced by an official attorney for $$$$
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Creating a Will - anyone use software?
Date: June 05, 2019 09:10AM
And for Newton "if there's no will, is there a way?"
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 05, 2019 09:40AM
We had a lawyer do our original. All the permutations are surprising, particularly with dependents in play. A few hundred dollars saves the family so much trouble down the road, and gets you good advice without poring through endless help files.

However, once the basic will is in place and the main decisions have been made, one could add codicils to update it without having a lawyer every time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 09:42AM by Acer.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 05, 2019 09:42AM
Randalls,

Estate planning is best performed by a professional. Spend the bucks and have a reputable estate planning attorney do your well. While you're there, it's a good opportunity to have the attorney put together other important paperwork, i.e. Living will, trusts, powers of attorney, etc.

This is a good place for some basic info:

[www.gyst.com]

[www.gordonfischerlawfirm.com]

Don't know a thing about Gordon Fischer Law Firm but the article has solid information.

I also applaud you for wanting to update your wills. Having a will is step one. Making sure it is current is just as important. Kudos to you!

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 05, 2019 09:44AM
....it depends how complicated.......if simple, software should be fine but if complex.....professional is best.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 05, 2019 10:36AM
Going to do a 50/50 for the kids but the “Living Will” a good point. I would probably be too paranoid to rely on Software but if it saves $$$$ I thought I should ask
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 05, 2019 11:26AM
Randalls
Going to do a 50/50 for the kids

Yeah, but who's going to get the Apple monitor stand?
Posted by: numbered
Date: June 05, 2019 12:27PM
I agree with the general idea that using a pro is the best course.

But if you have to use the software approach for whatever reason, the stuff at Nolo Press is the best available. They have all kinds of alternatives, and they have easy to read documentation. If your needs are simple (eg, your example of a 50/50 split of beneficiaries) and you don't have worries about dependents or complicated (eg, co-owned with other people) assets, it might be OK.

It only runs in Windows, though.

As a benchmark, getting a trust, living wills, medical powers of attorney, etc, as a package from a reputable attorney is only $1500 or so, even in uber expensive Cali.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 05, 2019 12:52PM
I checked with my dad, who is an authority on this subject. He said, "We didn't use software." And then he looked at me funny.

Oh, wait. You mean the document about what happens to your stuff after you die?

Well. That's different.

Date: June 05, 2019 12:54PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will get the same folks who did V1 40 some years ago. Then it was $200 and I thought that was bad. old fogey smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 05, 2019 01:34PM
Will Collier
I checked with my dad, who is an authority on this subject. He said, "We didn't use software." And then he looked at me funny.

Oh, wait. You mean the document about what happens to your stuff after you die?

Well. That's different.

:-)

your post is not in vain!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 05, 2019 01:46PM
....Will.i.am.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 05, 2019 02:43PM
In NY, Notary Public’s are specifically advised BY NYS to NOT notarize Last Will and Testaments. A relative who had drawn up their own Will was unable to get that will notarized and, NO lawyer would touch a document they had not drawn up themself. Technically, that will should be valid but, it could easily become a flustercluck in Probate Court. As mentioned, LOTS of potential “gotchas”. The few hundred dollars a “simple” Will that has been properly drafted and executed at a lawyer’s office is far less likely to get picked apart later.

But by then, you’ll be dead and may not care......... old fogey smiley
Posted by: DP
Date: June 05, 2019 04:32PM
Go to a lawyer. It does depend on each state's laws and Michigan has some interesting laws with regard to who can put a claim on your estate. There are some situations where you may NOT have a say about decisions pertaining to your wife. I had to be specifically named as to making medical decisions because, if I wasn't, her family would have as much input as I, her husband!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 05, 2019 07:36PM
I do not recommend using software for prepping a Will. This is something that do want to be correct. A key aspect of meeting with an attorney is also discussing your planning needs and your property and your assets, and being informed about your choices. Be careful about a sales pitch about a trust (this is complicated; sometimes a trust makes sense; sometimes it is a bad idea; sometimes it is just a waste of money).

Although it shouldn't cost that much for an attorney to prep a power of attorney and a health care advance directive, depending on the laws of the state, there can be times and places where downloading those forms (free, from free legal help websites in your state) can be an ok choice.
Date: June 06, 2019 06:22AM
Thanks for the knowledge and insight everyone
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018