advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tell me about your home security system
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 07, 2019 09:58PM
they strike me as a good way to unnecessarily call the police.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tell me about your home security system
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 07, 2019 10:07PM
Completely wired system (every door and window has a sensor) $20 monthly. Nothing is wireless. In my first home, every sensor was wireless. I hated having to change the batteries. Video monitoring is done by me. Inside and outside. My MIL went to my house during the day and set the alarm off. I saw what happened with the wyze cams and her arrival with Ring Cameras. Alarm company called me to let me know sensors tripped. I told them my MIL was there. And no need to call police.

Years before they used to call the police automatically, before calling me if a sensor went off. Which resulted in me telling them to call me first. First event was ok with Police, second false alarm cost you $100 and goes up after each false alarm, charged to you by county/city.

Edit: I didn’t wire the house, it came pre wired.
Also forgot the dogs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 01:21AM by Carm.
Posted by: max
Date: June 07, 2019 10:22PM
My system....
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 07, 2019 10:37PM
Forget the dog...........

Beware of the OWNER.
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: June 07, 2019 11:44PM
Magnetic switches on all doors and windows, exterior and interior infrared sensors and exterior and interior cameras.

A few speakers through the house allows it to taunt intruders with things like "the police have been called, but you will be dead before they arrive". It will also continue to turn lights on and off for a period of time.

The house can email or text me if there's a problem.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 08, 2019 12:08AM
Ring is great. only $10/month for central station monitoring (not required for local "internet" alert alarm.)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 08, 2019 06:10AM
Matt,

A security system with proper central station monitoring should not bring the police to your door unnecessarily. If you have central station monitoring, they'll contact you first and then, if necessary or appropriate, send the police over.

Carms concern about changing the batteries in a wireless system isn't what it seems in my opinion. The system provides ample warning when replacement is necessary and it's very easy to change the batteries in the sensors. And, you don't have to change the batteries often. In our old wireless alarm system, changed the batteries in sensors once in four or five years.

And, also agree with Ken. I'm a fan of Ring. The price is very fair for what you get and the security system ties in with other ring products. We've got a doorbell and the security system. IT's dandy.

If you want security but don't need central station monitoring and/or the police to get called if there is an event, then you can get a DYI system that isn't connected to either. You can put together a system from Ring or even with Wyze Sense sensors and have it contact just you if there is an event.

The system we had prior to replacing it with a Ring was a non-connected system. Full-scale security. We just didn't have it connected to the local police or central station monitoring. It was a product of its time (circa 2007 to 2009) worked well but lacked the features of modern wireless security system. Difficult interface, no smartphone app, etc.

Robert
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 08, 2019 08:45AM
Robert is correct on all points.
Central monitoring should contact you before sending over the police (make sure to ask about this when you sign up). The only instance for direct police contact should be if you own a business.
Regarding changing batteries on a wireless system. It depends on use and environment. I live in Southern California and the heat would shorten the batteries life in the wireless sensors. The window sensors were in a pocket of heat on a daily bases. Heat >window>sensor<closed shutter. The batteries wouldn’t last as long as they were supposed to on one side of the house. And you did get a warning from the panel that the sensor was “faulty”/needs new battery.

The Ring security system has been on sale $279 recently. Check SD. I have only read reviews.
[slickdeals.net]
The 10 piece set is/was available for 199 @ costco
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 08, 2019 09:19AM
my house has had a wired monitored system for over two decades. never a false alarm. never a break in either.

i self installed a monitored simplisafe wireless system at my late brothers house last fall. never a false alarm or break in.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 09:20AM by graylocks.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 08, 2019 09:36AM
Interesting to read these responses -- I've been thinking of going over to a Ring security system, since I already have the cameras.

I currently have a wired system with four contact switches, two glass break sensors, and one motion activated camera with central monitoring, and am paying more than I'd like. The system was already in place when I bought the house, so I just decided to continue it.

I've also already had one false alarm with cops showing up, thanks to my gardener accidentally jostling my sliding glass door... another one, and I get charged $75 by the city.

Those who have Ring, how do you like it? Hard to install? With the kind of setup I have, which kit would you recommend? (The glass break sensors are especially important for me, because I have two glass sliding doors in the back.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 09:44AM by PeterB.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: June 08, 2019 10:28AM
If I'm going to be gone for more than a week, I'll lock the door.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 08, 2019 01:56PM
I have a "BEWARE OF ATTACK PARROTS" sign on the gate leading to our building. Seems to be working so far. I love this place! Except for the antique plumbing... but I love that we have a nice little parking area well off the street and then a tall wooden fence to go through to get to our building. It's not obvious that there is a residence there. Delivery operations often have a hard time finding me. I usually leave the house with my front door open and the screen closed allowing nice airflow, but anyone could just walk on in there and rob me blind... if they can find me.

And like Downtown, I'll lock up if I'm leaving town for more than one night.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 08, 2019 05:21PM
The house we're moving into (already bought) has a security system. I'm not sure about the details. One noticeable feature is a panic button near the front door. It will be removed. The previous owner mentioned the police coming frequently at one point but since her brother was a police officer they were pretty understanding. I have no idea what value the existing system has. I'm sure its something I should look into but probably won't happen until we've settled in a bit. Might be worth buying a new system, might not be. Not sure I need something with central monitoring - a text message on my phone would be fine.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 09, 2019 01:14AM
crime scene tape covering all doors and windows, and empty shell casings scattered everywhere.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 10, 2019 12:56PM
mattkime
One noticeable feature is a panic button near the front door. It will be removed.

Oooooo... a "dead man switch" type panic button is good by the front door for push-in style break-ins.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 10, 2019 03:22PM
......just a bat.....by the bed......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 10, 2019 05:37PM
Matt,

You may be able to find a local alarm company that can evaluate the age and condition of the existing system and activate it. The previous owners should be able to provide you the contact information for the alarm company who installed it. However, depending on the age and features, you may want to replace it with a modern system, especially if it is problematic and caused false alarms.

An old system will likely lack cellular backup as well as the ability to turn it on and off via your smartphone. You may not be able to expand the system with newer features and accessories that tie into it, i.e. cams, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, flood detectors, smart lock, etc. I replaced my existing DYI system with a Ring security system because of its age. The old system didn't have smartphone features and the number of compatible accessories was limited at best.

If you can activate the existing alarm, I wouldn't be so quick to remove the panic button. Panic buttons might actually be a very useful accessory. If I was installing a Ring security system in my parent's home, I'd install a panic button in strategic locations. That way, if something happened to one of them or a burglar was trying to break in, they could hit the panic button and get immediate assistance.

FWIW, I grew up in a home with panic buttons. Never neede to use the panic button but was grateful it was there in the event there was a household emergency. Much easier for a panicking child to hit the button than to try and dial the phone. 'course, we were taught at the earliest possible age that allowed us to understand that you never touch any of the panic buttons unless the world as we knew it was coming to an abrupt end.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020