advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I don't believe in 'dog crating' do you?
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: June 09, 2019 06:51PM
I really hate the concept of folks crating their dogs..going to work and crating? feels selfish and sick to me

i have a friend that does it and i have to bite my lip on it..brought it up once and got a very strong rebuff with a bunch of 'facts'..ugh, humans create facts for @#$%& like this..

..i think the strength of the rebuff was an indication that she, in her core, felt guilty and @#$%& about what she was doing. dogs love being kept in boxes!!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I don't believe in 'dog crating' do you?
Posted by: Golfer
Date: June 09, 2019 07:11PM
Our beagle is very mischievous if left alone too long so when we are at work she gets crated. I let her out when I'm home for lunch and then back in when I leave. She's pretty good for an hour or so on her own but much more than that and her devilish side comes out. She does not mind the cage at all and will even go back in it and lay down with the door open when tired and we are home. It's better than leaving her outside chained up for the day. She's out at night and does well alone but its like she knows when nobody is home all bets are off. I wish I could leave her out at during work hours but its just not doable.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 09, 2019 07:12PM
Kraniac,

It's not a fact created for the convenience of dog owners at the expense of their dogs. Crate training, when used appropriately, is actually good for a dog.

[www.humanesociety.org]

Appropriate use is key. I know several people whose dogs love their crate and treat it as their special place. Or, as the article calls it, their den. They enter/exit it as they please. You get the idea.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 07:12PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 09, 2019 07:15PM
Hard to judge.

If it's just to keep them from peeing in the house, go home at lunchtime and walk your dog or get a dog-walker.

Allegedly, some dogs have great separation anxiety and crating provides a familiar environment for them that calms them. If this is a real phenomenon then maybe it's okay.

Posted by: Carm
Date: June 09, 2019 07:24PM
I agree with you. My dogs roam the house and have a doggy door, free access to dog run outside. But as a kid, we had an outside dog and that’s where he stayed. Never crated though.
I understand the other side needing to crate because they lack room. Without a crate some people wouldn’t have pets. But I don’t agree with crating and I don’t say anything to them about it either.

Edit: following Docs line of anxiety in some pets, I’ve heard they just need a safe space where they can “hide” away from anything. So a crate covered completely would make sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 07:27PM by Carm.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: June 09, 2019 07:26PM
I had a dog I crated while at work and bed time. She loved her crate and would spend a lot of time in it even when I was home. If the door was closed, she would open it with her paw. If the door was latched and she could not get in, she would bark until I un-latched it. In the evening, all I had to say was bedtime, and she would open the door if closed, close it behind her and wait for me to latch it. Again, if I failed to latch it, she would bark. When leaving the house, all I had to say was get in your bed, with the same result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 07:28PM by cyclemax.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 09, 2019 07:28PM
Sarcany,

Crating a dog to keep him/her from peeing in the house is a great example of totally inappropriate use of a crate. Owners like that shouldn't be allowed to have a dog in the first place.

Robert
Posted by: Golfer
Date: June 09, 2019 08:12PM
Sarcany
Hard to judge.

If it's just to keep them from peeing in the house, go home at lunchtime and walk your dog or get a dog-walker.

Allegedly, some dogs have great separation anxiety and crating provides a familiar environment for them that calms them. If this is a real phenomenon then maybe it's okay.

Sasha has never had an accident while left out on her own, at night or during the day, that's not the problem. We tried last year leaving her during the work day and she did great for a couple weeks. But as more time passed she just kept destroying more and more things until it became evident she could not have free roam of the house alone. And it was stuff she never looks twice at when we are home like chewing the bottom corner off of a computer table (in about 6 inches worth). She's good as gold as long as she not left to her own devices too long.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 09, 2019 08:31PM
Our neighbors tried it with their dog, but the cats kept letting the dog out of the crate.

To play or to lick (cats would re-groom the dog after the owner brought it back from the groomer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 08:31PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: max
Date: June 09, 2019 08:43PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

Crating a dog to keep him/her from peeing in the house is a great example of totally inappropriate use of a crate. Owners like that shouldn't be allowed to have a dog in the first place.

Robert

Tru dat....
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: June 09, 2019 09:00PM
Robert M
Kraniac,

It's not a fact created for the convenience of dog owners at the expense of their dogs. Crate training, when used appropriately, is actually good for a dog.

[www.humanesociety.org]

Appropriate use is key. I know several people whose dogs love their crate and treat it as their special place. Or, as the article calls it, their den. They enter/exit it as they please. You get the idea.

Robert

I read that earlier today. But I also read plenty of stuff that took the opposite side..
Posted by: IronMac
Date: June 09, 2019 10:44PM
I crate one of my cats, it's a long story...
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 10, 2019 12:06AM
Our 15-year-old rescue mix (we’re thinking maybe vizsla + black lab?) has always loved her crate (which is, itself, within a coat closet that we keep open). It’s her safe space- her den, if you will, and she spends a fair amount of her day there as she gets older.

All that said, we never close it. I too have some trouble with owners that crate/cage their dogs all day for convenience. That’s not right, it seems to me.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: June 10, 2019 07:09AM
Dogs as a spcies are "denning" animals - well known, scientifically based information. All the dogs we got as pups were crate trained and LOVED their crates. When they were past the stage where they needed to be crated, they would go to their crates to sleep (door always open).

It is not cruel when done appropriately.

Our current wild child gets "crated" in our small office when we are out of the house for a few hours - and willingly goes to his "crate" when told to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 07:10AM by vicrock.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 10, 2019 07:10AM
.....crate......expections......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 10, 2019 09:16AM
I would not leave a dog in a crate all day, every day, but for a crate-trained dog it certainly has its good uses. We crate our dog when the house cleaner is in (every two weeks), and when we're traveling and not in the hotel room with her. This particular dog was crate trained from puppyhood and has no problem with it; a trainer or breeder will tell you for a properly-trained dog their crate is like their bedroom.

Now, for a dog that is not crate trained, it's a terrible thing to do. Our previous dog was a pound rescue who hated being confined. He would have gone insane to the point of injuring himself if he'd been locked in a crate, and accordingly, we never put him in one.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2019 12:28PM
We tried it with a new puppy. Once. And gave up because the pup wanted company. We have small dogs who sleep with us. And let us know when they need to go out. It’s all good. We did crate a feral kitten who adopted us , basically gave him a big safe house to live in while we were asleep. Once he was litter box trained the door was removed. After a couple of months he stopped using it for a hiding spot and we retired it.
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 10, 2019 01:03PM
cbelt3
We tried it with a new puppy. Once. And gave up because the pup wanted company. We have small dogs who sleep with us. And let us know when they need to go out. It’s all good. We did crate a feral kitten who adopted us , basically gave him a big safe house to live in while we were asleep. Once he was litter box trained the door was removed. After a couple of months he stopped using it for a hiding spot and we retired it.

Was this the wheel-well kitty? How's he doing?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 11, 2019 12:50PM
....crates.....of wrath.......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018